Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't really sure where to put this.

I just wanted to share that two families in my county have lost their pets this week because there houses caught on fire. They crated their pets at night in a different area of their house while they slept. Both families were unable to save their pets.

·
Registered
544 Posts
What an absolutely terrible tragedy for these families. This is just one example of why it's so important to have a fire escape plan, no matter where your pets and/or children sleep. My dogs are crated at night, except for the Danes. In the event of a fire, we have a designated meet up location and my DH gets our son and I start getting the dogs. Once our son is at his safe spot, DH helps get the dogs too. We've got it down to a routine and practice every so often just to make sure we've got it ingrained. This is something everyone should do. We started when I had my first child and have carried it on through, adding the dogs as each came into our lives. Actually, crated dogs are easier to secure and get to safety in the event of a fire. Scared dogs can run into smokey areas or hide under beds, in closets, etc., where owner's can't get to them or have to spend a long time getting to them, exposing dog and owner to smoke and fire injuries. If they are confined to a crate or designated sleeping area, you know where they are, how to get to them, and can quickly get them to safety. Works for us.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Its a terrifying thing to think about but certainly a necessary part of being prepared for the worst. I agree with Lisa that it's easier to find crated dogs vs scared ones running around in smoke. Our dogs sleep in the same room as us and we just ordered an escape ladder and I was thinking of tying long ropes to their crates so they could be lowered safely down in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts