Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad, health wise, to keep your dog in a crate all day even after they have outgrown being a puppy? If they have enough room to stand and stretch, will there be any long term effects of not being able to roam about for 8 hours?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I had the same concern when I got Cooper. He's the first dog I've ever had that I crate trained.

From the research I did on crate training, the crate is a good place to be in the dog's mind. Cooper knows when he's in his crate, he is going to sleep and he's safe so it's an automatic reaction that he just lays down and crashes.

When I first got Cooper, I was unemployed so he rarely spent time in the crate, with the exception of when we went to bed. I did put him in there while I was out but I bought a kong and would fill it with his dry food, a little peanut butter and maybe a "hidden" treat inside to keep him interested. Dog trainers will tell you they are great toys because they work the dog's problem solving skills, giving their brains some exercise.

Once I got a job, I was gone for 8 hours a day and I kenneled Cooper until I was satisfied that he was 100% potty trained. Because I'm a freak, I set up my web cam to capture his activity in the kennel and I checked in on him for the first week from my new job. He would play with the kong, sleep, play with the kong, sleep, etc. He never once showed signs of having problems being in the kennel or that he even cared about being in there. Me, on the other hand, I was glued to the broadcast, waiting for him to have a fit, roll over and die - I was an extremely paranoid parent. :)

It's my opinion that when you do kennel dogs during the day, you should be walking them before (preferrably) or after they are kenneled for at least 20 minutes. They'll most likely have more pent-up energy than a dog that wasn't kenneled and will need to release it or they will start showing signs of destructive behavior - chewing on things, digging up gardens, barking, etc.

Other than that, I don't see a problem kenneling a dog during work hours - as long as they're getting plenty of exercise when they're not in there and have something to do while they are confined.

Look at me ... just call me Ms. Smarty Pants. :lol:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I did put him in there while I was out but I bought a kong and would fill it with his dry food, a little peanut butter and maybe a "hidden" treat inside to keep him interested. Dog trainers will tell you they are great toys because they work the dog's problem solving skills, giving their brains some exercise.
our trainer told us to do the same thing so we could get chores done without him barking and disturbing the neighbors, :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2 yr old Chi loves her crate..as we spea she is curled up in a ball sleeping in hers right now. I don't ever lock her in it..she's been housebroken since she was 5mths old (we got her at 4mths) . She just loves her crate..it's where she wants to be if there's alot going on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with Cooper's mom...if you're going to leave your chi in it's crate for long periods of time, make sure they get plenty of excersize, play time, and attention when they're out of the crate. Snuffy doesn't mind her crate at all...it's quite large and has plenty of room for her to move around in. She eats her in meals in her crate...so when I get her food ready, she'll sit, shake, and then run inside her crate. And kongs are great toys to keep them busy, I just bought Snuffy one today and she seems to love it :) Oh and I wouldn't put them in their crate to punish them...they should know it's a safe, positive place. Hope this helps a little :D :wave:

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
at first it didn't matter when i put jamoka in his creat he hated!
b/c i work at night it was harder b/c he was used of sleeping with me so i started talking to him like a half hour before i left.and i had recored a tape of me taking so he wounldn't be lonely.
lol now that i'm typing this i sound crazy.but i think he started too get the point.that when 11:30 came i told him i was going to "work" now when i say i'm going to work he give me this look.i still have to push him in the creat but he doesn't cry anymore.

i put treats under his bed so he can look for them and like cooper said i rub food on the side of the creat. some times i leave the radio on for him.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not sure about crates, i certainly wouldnt put my girl in one, but its up to personal prefference. I would say though, if you're putting you chi in a crate make sure its big enough for them to move around in comforably and also as the others said make sure he has some treats or toys to play with. Someone said they put the radio on, well my sister puts the tv on and her dog actually watches it so i imagine he watches it sometimes when he's out :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts