Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can't do it. And I don't fault others / criticize their choice in doing so. It's a personal thing that each individual handles how they feel they should handle it.

For me I just can't even wrap my around the big incinerator, willingly saying send mine through it, so that I can "have them forever", when I already have them forever in my heart. For me in my heart is enough. Knowing they are laid to rest in their favorite spot, where we had all of our fun times is the way it should be (for us).

My Mom just had to have her beagle put down & brain sent away. She entertained the thoughts because they did have to do a postmortem. I kept everything crossed she wouldn't ~ that beagle loved to run & hunt. The family joke was we named her incorrectly, her name should have been Springsteen as she was Born to Run. In my heart & head it just didn't seem right to encase her in an Urn for evermore. Mom opted not to have her cremated, I was relieved, but I was ready to support her in whatever choice she made ~ because that's what would have been right for her/them.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
We have cremated a few rats mostly so that I could keep them around and they could be buried with their best friends. Rats are so social I just can't bring myself to bury one alone :(. Hopefully a very long time from now we plan to have our dogs cremated- then hopefully a very long time from then they would be scattered with our ashes. I just don't think I could leave them anywhere without me.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I dont think they do that where I live.. Personally, I dont think I would be comfortable ..but I can understand how it would be a comfort to have part of your loved one around and still there with you. I believe in spirit mostly so the body part would probably freak me out more.

I would rather have alot of pictures around and different memorabilia. The thought of my loved one in an urn on a shelf in my house (I am avoiding being graphic) is just not for me.

I know that many feel great comfort with this and I am glad that is an option. Its a bit too macabre for me though.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had my last dog a Bichon Frise cremated when he passed away and his ashes are in a lovely wooden box on our bookshelf. I made this decision so I could take him with us if we ever decided to move house, I wouldn't have liked to bury him in the garden and leave him if we moved.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had Cosmo cremated. The vet's options were a joke. I took him to a funeral home that did the cremations on site. He's on my nightstand in an itty bitty urn with a orange ribbon (collar color) and his ID tag around the top. I know I had the choice of individual or group cremation. I did individual, even though it was pricier.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I had Cosmo cremated. The vet's options were a joke. I took him to a funeral home that did the cremations on site. He's on my nightstand in an itty bitty urn with a orange ribbon (collar color) and his ID tag around the top. I know I had the choice of individual or group cremation. I did individual, even though it was pricier.
I agree- we had a much better experience dealing with the pet funeral home myself than the vet. The place we worked with will pick up at a vets office if you want- but they had many more options than our vets office directly. They were also very nice and made the whole process very easy. They do cremation on site and also were a human funeral home/crematory as well (the pet one was a separate building on the same property). Not saying it was a good experience- bit they made it easier.

·
Registered
382 Posts
A couple of years ago, we were at a local funeral director's place of business, making arrangements for my mother's burial. Their casket room did have also a number of urns for cremated remains, including some smaller ones, obviously for pets. I could see they covered a considerable range in terms of quality/price. To each his own, but permanent storage of a pet's ashes is certainly feasible and probably not outrageously expensive.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Cremation is the way I want to go & then hopefully have my ashes tossed in the ocean! I think my 1st chi was cremated, but I was so upset at her sudden death that I didn't hang around to know for sure. I don't know which way I'll go with Midgie. Guess I'll just wait until that time. Don't really like to think about it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Our pug puppy passed away very recently from PDE and she only lived for 7 months. It took us 2 weeks to get her ashes back because I was so devastated by it. We got her a beautiful urn and it has a place to put her picture in, but I haven't printed a picture to put it in there yet because I still can't look at her pictures. We also got a clay paw print from the ER vet where we had to put her to sleep. She sits on our fireplace now, and I'm glad we did get her back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.