Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding Cricket the raw diet for a week now. She loves it. I'm kinda concerned about the amount I'm supposed to feed her according to the calculator. It says that she should get .04oz a feeding to ensure weight gain, but she seems to need more. Like its not enough for her. Is it ok to give a little bit more? I don't need her losing any more weight. And honestly I think she could use an extra lb. She is gaining a little. I don't see her ribs or hip bones anymore. Also I had to go to one bone a day because she was constipated. Any suggestions on if I should give her more and how much more?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What does she weigh? I use the calculator as a starting point. If she's looking ribby, add more meat. If she starts looking pudgy or ribs are tough to feel, then cut back a little. Tailor the diet to her needs and metabolism.

Raw fed dogs do tend to have a leaner composition. They lose that pudgy look that kibble fed dogs have and tend to be leaner and more muscular. Having said that, you don't want her too thin. Sounds like she needs more food.

As an example .... Brody is very active. He is a shade over 5 pounds and 3 years old. He eats approximately 5 ounces a day or so. Some days more, some less.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Give her more :)

Based on the 2.5-3% amount of food calculated for Spacely's weight, he would only get 3 oz of food a day. That is where I started him (He is an adult) He lost weight so I just added food until he held his weight.

He currently gets closer to 7% of his weight per day in order to not lose weight.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awww she's a tiny one! Yes, I'd feed more. Maybe start with 1/2 an ounce more twice a day and see if that helps to put some weight on. Like I said earlier, her body may be changing and losing fat and gaining muscle so she may look more lean until you get her weight where you want it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry its not a great pic she didn't wanna sit still. But does she look ok, or should I put more weight on her?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It's hard to tell from that picture. Go by body condition. You should be able to feel ribs but not see them.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's hard to tell from that picture. Go by body condition. You should be able to feel ribs but not see them.
We are just now where we can't see them, but we can feel them. My concern are her bottom ribs cause they stick up. I'm just glad I can barely see those now too.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just looking at your pics of Brody and I'm noticing her body is starting to look like his. Lean, and she is getting some meat on her legs (which she didn't have at all when we got her three weeks ago). Her legs looked like little match sticks, poor thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts