Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I tried researching this on external sites & on here, so I do apologize if I missed a thread on this. A lot of them that are connected to this topic seem to pertain to younger chihuahuas so anybody with adult dogs that can relate, I am so happy for your thoughts! :peacewink:

I have an almost four year old teacup chihuahua named Francesca. My parents & I adopted her at a very young age (maybe 3 months?) and has been with us since. She isn't crated but has a bed in the kitchen and has the whole kitchen and upper part of the house to walk. She also has a bed with me in my room.

What I am finding is that whenever I don't come home around the same time after work, Francesca starts to cry. My mother is able to calm her down for a bit but then she cries again. If my mother takes a nap in the middle of the day, and she's in the kitchen, she will start to cry this large, baby like sound. We all have to go to her, especially me, and once she sees us, she'll do a long stretch as if she was napping, and then this look like, 'oh hey guys, what's up?'

If I spend the weekend with my boyfriend somewhere, my mother gets angry because Francesca whines and cries at night. My mother believes she's looking for me, all anxious. I am, if anything, the human she latches on to.

She is spoiled - in which she's too small to walk up and down the steps so I carry her around. She'll lay with me on the bed if I work on my computer, and most likely, I'm driving her around with me. She doesn't have any other pets to compete for attention.

I guess my main issue is that I want her to stop crying all of a sudden. I know she wants attention and I do feel guilty if I leave her alone but we can't all stop everything for her every single time. I'm contemplating getting a friend for her but I'm afraid that she'll either be jealous or it'll be two babies wining. Another thought is crating her but I am afraid it's too late to train her.

Any help is SO appreciated.
Thank you!!
xoxox

Francesca&Apollonia

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Definitely sounds like she needs more attention. More walks and playtime. Also sounds like separation anxiety. Maybe if you put something you've worn with your scent in her bed when you're gone and play soft music might help. It's never too late to train, but I don't think crating her will solve the whining. Does she have toys?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts