Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ive had zola a few night now and he wont sleep without crying. I put him in his pen and he cries and cires until I pick him up. I mean for like hours. As soon as I pick him up he's fine and he falls stright asleep on the bed with me. So anyway last night my boyfriend said we should put him next door in my spair room because he had work tomorrow and couldnt sleep for the crying so anyway we gave it a shot and he still creid for ages and even yelped. He had me in tears because I felt so bad about leaving him so we went and got him and he slept in bed with me. Only thing is I have have a right sleep because I have to be kinda wake and knowning hes there so I dont sqash him or he doesnt fall out.

The worst of all is I got back to work in a few weeks and hes gonna be on his own like hours a day. I really dont know what to do and like everyone says I have tried leaving him. PLease give me any advice you have

*Vicky*

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Do you have a teddy the same size as his mom to cuddle too , he is just lonely but he will get used to been on his own you need to just percivere it is heart breaking but just put him wherever you plan for him too always sleep shut the door and go to bed as long as he has water, toys , somewhere to potty and a little dry food to nibble on if hes hungry he will be fine :wave:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have a teddy in there just lots of toys. Ill be sure to try that tho. So what do you think i s best, spare roo, or my room. I havesheets up the side of his pen so he cant see out, makes no difference, he just scraches and tries to pull them off. The crying really would go on all night. I just feel like it will make him ill, hes so wee and to attached to me :shock:

*vicky*

·
Registered
27 Posts
Vicky,

I'm a chi owner not an expert, but I think this little doggie is very lonely on his own and if you look at it as if he were a baby; you wouldn't want to leave him alone in that state.

I'm not a very strict mother as I put contentment before hard and fast rules and I have three of the most content pooches you could find. I think I would be putting him beside my bed in a high sided container with a pet warmer inside - set on low - along with his favorites soft toy. He wouldn't be IN bed with you and you could have your hand on him until he went to sleep. Eventually, his container could move towards the door, then into the passage way etc.

I also think I would be worried about going back to work and leaving him on his own for long periods. Perhaps you could consider sponsoring a rescue dog of the same size, perhaps a bit older - make sure it has a good temperament. This would mean your little guy would have company and you would have no commitment to actually keep the other dog. I assure you, this kind thing can work rather well.
When he is older, he may not need other dogs or perhaps he will, in which case you might consider getting him a companion.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When he is older Id like him to beable to stay in any of my rooms in his playpen. You see I do have a spare room which he can sleep in but if I ever have guests Id have to take him in my room. I do have aheat pad for him also and I put it inside his fleecy cushion but it doesnt make a difference to him at all :cry:
I really could not get another door. This one is enough, atleast for just now. Id have loved to take one of his bros or sisters but theres no way I could afford that :(

So you think I should just leave him in his playpen no matter how long he cries. Or if the crying does stop?

*Vicky*

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I dont agree with above as it will be harder and harder to get him out of your rom unless thats where you want him too live then its fine , from my experience I would put him wherever you want him too live like mine are in the lounge and he will probably cry for 3 or 4 mights but he will soon settle I agree though get him a heat pad and a big cuddly teddy and a blanket etc to snuggle under he will soon settle.

I agree with above about when you go back to work i would definately think about getting him a friend :wave: or maybe having a dog sitter come and see him in the day if you cant get back at lunch time

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My boyfriends mum and borther live acorss the road from me so they'll always be someone over at some point of the day to check on Zola. I won't really sleep unless its on me but just then Iet him fall asleep on me then once asleep moved him onto a cushion on the sofa so hes on his own. I just have to watch he doesnt jump of or fall off but he likes it there, even if hes on his own. Only thing is he'll get up or stare if I leave the room. He's always trying to jump up on me to so what i'll also try and do is not let him jump up. I just feel kinda bad as I have wooden floors (even tho my heating is on) there always kinda cold so he likes to be up on me with cuddles. I have him a good few blankies but he doesn tlike to stay still on them. I think i will get a thick rug or peice of carpet at some point after I get paid again. I have also applied for a new job working 12-8pm instead of my ususal 9-5 so I can be there for him every morning then at tea time my boyfriend will be home so he wouldn't be by his self to long. Fingers crossed I get the job, they said they would call today and havent yet so Im trying not to get my hopes up. I did real bad in the interview :cry:

*vicky*

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry to hear Zola is getting himself so upset :( , has he got an igloo type bed as mine love these, especially as pups as they feel warm & secure in them. Try putting him in his pen sometimes apart from at night with something tasty but safe to chew on eg: pigs ear, this will distract him (hopefully) & he should learn to settle :) .
Good luck finding a new job :wave: , Chihuahuas love to have company, being on their own all day & then again at night is a lonely life for them, if you really can't have a friend for Zola leave a radio on for him so at least there's some background noise & not just a quiet house.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Vicky , sorry to hear your little guy is not sleeping ,
It's very early days so try not to worry to much ( I know
that's easy for me to say !! ) I'm sure he will soon
start to feel safe and secure on his own , for now his life
has had a huge change and I'm sure he is just a little unsettled ,
my guy was just the same ... but he did settle after a while ,
he just needs to know this is his home and he is safe and secure
there , he will soon I promise. :)

Sara xx

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone and thanks sarah for always replying to my posts :wave:
Zola is alseep now on the sofa, again on his own on a wee fleecy cushion to kep him cosy. He has slpet most of the day, because he wakes for an hour then jumps around like a wee manic then passes out, soo cute!!
I think I am taking him to the vets tomorrow as soon as becuase even tho my breeder has wormed him he is dragging his bum and he found it a little hard to poo earlier today, then when he did it was a little running. APart from that he is eating real good and I'm givinghim just want my breeder recommended. Its pedigree dry food and I always giving him some wetfood at tea time to. He's a real good boy and drinking up all his water.

*Vicky*

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unfortunately, your doing yourself more harm by buying into his crying and picking him up and putting him in bed with you. Its not wise to breed behaviour that may lead to seperation anxiety down the road. If he seems to be super attached to you, he's got to learn he'll be fine on his own whether its heart breaking to you or not. You got to be tough, put him in his crate in the spare bedroom and if he cries all night long so be it. He may do this for a couple of days & nights but once he realizes that you are not going to come to his rescue if he cries then he'll cut it out and settle down at night. Cover his crate with a light towel, it wont take long for him to learn its bedtime.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats exactly what im going to do tonight. Now i dont feel so bad about leaving him knowing its just normal chi behavour and he just wants my attention. I dont have crate for him, I have a baby play pen, which I wanted to get because its so much bigger and has room for, his bed, water and food, pee pad and everything he needs. Two of the sides are net see thru so I have covered them up with sheets so he cant see out anymore and try to claw at it. He still tries but fails. Anyway, I;m not looking forward to tonight but I WILL not take him back in my bed. He will know whos boss, as much as I love him

*Vicky*

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
maybe a night light would help. and the radio on very softly or tv. this way if you or your b/f wakes in the night he doesn't hear anything. i find cif the tv is on with chiwi and i get up she doesn't hear or notice but if the tv is off as soon as i sit up she is up....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I am sorry you are having this problem... I wish I could give you some advice but I never had a problem with Gadget. He was so young when I got him i put his bed right next to mine and I would feed him let him fall asleep on me then cuddle with him for a while and then put him in his little bed and he would sleep until the next feeding time... I just kept movig him to a bigger bed/pen as he grew.. now he has full run of our bed and the house. I didn't crate train him.. He sleeps with us everynight.. but That is what I want him todo.. Now he has his favorite spot on the bed and he will go lay down when he wants to sleep... He also gets up in the middle of the night and goes potty and gets some food and water... I have steps for him to get up on and down from the bed...

good luck and God bless

·
Registered
277 Posts
A plug in night light is fine, we have one in the family room where our boys crates stay. Even if you have an xpen for your puppy you may want to consider purchasing a small hard crate or soft dog house if it will fit inside the xpen. Dogs have a nesting instinct and they will view a small enclosed space as a "den", which is comforting to them. Our boys have free range now most of the time except when we are not home but they would prefer to lounge around and sleep in their crates most of the time. :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so last night me and my boyfriend thought we'll go to bed kinda early so that he has a few hours to settle and we'd get a proper sleep so we put him down about 10 ish. My boyfriend was watching something on tv so because that was on I dont think he cried as much as usual. He really did cry, don't get me wrong. Then I could hear him stand to bounce about the pen and tear up his pee pad but I thought no i'll just leave him or he'll think by doing that I'll come to him all the time. So anyway he woke up allot of times crying in the night but we just left him. My boyfriend said I was alseep a few times when he cried so he just made any noise, like meow so zola knew we were there then he would settle again. Anyway my boyfriend got up at 7 ish for work and zola woke up then to but i thought id leave him just that bit longer so i left him another hour then he started to cry again so I just got up with him. I think he did really well and im proud of the wee boy

*Vicky*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts