Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haveonly had Mia for a week,
and the people that had her b4 me let her sleep in their bed.
they never kept her in a crate.
but... i want her to learn to sleep in one, at least while she is so small.
i realize she will cry for a while....
but last night i put her in there at 10pm.
she cried from midnight until 5:30am. NON STOP.
when i got up to get ready for work, i had to let her out.
partly cuz i felt bad, but mostly cuz i figured she needed to eat and potty.
her crying kept me up all night.
how long do you guys think this will go on?
help
:?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've had bella for 3 weeks and she still crys a little bit. Mostly after gettin up in the middle of the night to go potty and i put her back in the crate but she still wants to play. You should be letting her out more often then that. 12 - 5:30 is a very long time for a pup. You really should be letting her out every 2 hours or so... they have tiny tiny bladders so they cant hold much! But you just have to be patient with her, i know i am going through it right now... i am lucky if i get 5 hours of sleep with her. Dont let her out of the crate unless she has to go potty, every 2 hours or so... If its that bad put her in another room. If bella is really loud i put her in the hall outside my bedroom door. I don't mind the cries, my boyfriend does though... just be consistent!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hershey cried for two nights strait, constantly. Then for the next week, week and a half, she cried just a little. Now she sleeps good through the night. She even sleeps in an open doggie bed in another room and bellie slides into my room when she wants to get me up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ignore the crying pup. by giving her any attention at all, other than the quiet command ( one all dogs should be taught) you are encouraging her to carry on. never ever take a pup out of a crate while crying. give the quiet command and once they are quiet then take them out. it may take a few days or a few weeks but your pup will get the idea that a crate is a good thing.

if you take her out during the night to go potty..make sure you make this time as unfun as possible. do not talk to the pup other than to say good girl for going potty..no playing..no running..no nothing. you just stand there and wait for them to do their business. (while on lead of course) you have to be the alpha and you have to set the rules and enforce them..if you don't you will have a dog thinking they are the alpha.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper didn't cry much when I crate trained him ... just enough to annoy/worry me. I bought a disk at Petsmart that you warm in the microwave and insert in their bedding and it keeps everything toasty for hours. That seemed to calm him ... also, get a wind-up alarm clock (the kind that ticks loudly) and place it near or inside the bed, covered so the tick is muffled a bit. The ticking noise will remind them of mommy's heartbeat and calm them down a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.