Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys :)
I just wanted to know if theres a way i can help my Jack X Chi feel abit better at night. we put her in her den (cupboard with bed, toys, pee pad ect) to sleep at night (the dorrs taken off and a stair gate put on so). the first night she cried for ages and woke me up at 12 and 2. the 2nd night she cried for about 15-20 mins then when to sleep i thought it was getting better, but lastnight she cried for about an hour!!! im worried the neighbours are gonna complane because shes so loud it echo's around our flat :(
Will it stop or is it the Chihuahua in her wanting to be close to us an she'll just keep doing it?
Thanks

Bexy xx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try one of these. I have heard good things on both. Esp. the comfort zone for pups. Some vets carry them or pet stores.

Comfort Zone Diffuser with D.A.P. for Dogs at PETCO

Or this but I have not used it on a young pup. It is all natural so I can not see why it would hurt them.

Amazon.com: Rescue Remedy (20ml vial): Health & Personal Care
Thanks hun i will have alook! anythings worth a try at the moment!

Have you tried a radio on low
she cries if i leave the TV on too. ive tried everything i can think of - we put our clothes in her bed, we left tv on, we left lights on, we turnt lights off but left the kitchen light on so its not totaly dark. erm she has a blanket in that smells of her brothers and sisters? we're at a total loss. :confused:
Dont get me wrong we only got her friday afternoon i know it will take awhile for her to settle but it takes a hell of along time with her crying an our neighbours have small children, i know i would get annoyed if i had a pup waking up our kids at 10 -11 PM. lucky our kids will sleep through anything haha.

Bexy xxx

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
A warm hot water bottle ?Dottie will always snuggle up on hers ,she can't wait to get in.My sheltie was the same i slept downstairs with him for nearly a week,couldn't stand it anymore so brought his bed up to our room,that was the end of that ,no more crying and here he stayed

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I'd get a pen, and leave him in my room. I really can't stand crying babies. Fortunately, my other dogs have a routine, so 'new' pups kind of follow in their pawsteps!! Sue

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Also maybe a stuffed animal in her pen to give her something to snuggle with

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Someone suggested a ticking alarm clock (the old style that you can actually hear the ticking) when we brought Jaxx home.

We tried many different things with him so I am not sure what actually worked but after about a week he finally got used to being alone at night.

We hid treats in his kennel and gave him treats when he was quiet in his kennel. It does take patience though to find a time at first when they are being quiet.

We also tried the warm hot water bottle although we found out that after he got to the teething stage it was not good to continue it because he chewed through it. I have read since that warming water and putting in a regular plastic bottle that you buy water in works too and it is harder for them to chew through. Just wrap it in a towel or a blanket.

Jaxx has special toys for sleep time that never come out of his sleep area and a special blanket of his own but he is a blanket type dog.

Jaxx's crying at night period was probably my hardest time because I was worried about our apartment neighbors hearing him and him crying made me want to run to him. It takes a lot of will power but eventually they do stop crying at night when they learn that their crying is not going to bring rewards. After a long two weeks Jaxx finally learned to like his bed and now when he comes in from outside at night and sees me in the bedroom he runs for his kennel.

Good luck! It is not a impossible task but it definitely requires patience.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!! she's teething at the moment and is biting anything that will fit in her mouth so im not sure the hot water bot is a good idea but i'll try the plastic bottle thanks :)
She has puppy teddies and stuff but tht dont seem to make a difference :rolleyes:
Lastnight i was soo close to going out to her because i was worried about the neighbours BUT i put my MP3 player on an just listened to music, stopping it after every song to see if she had stopped lol xx

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only thing that worked for Dexter, was a hot water bottle (make sure there is a cover on it) a nice snuggly blanket, a teddy and a clock on top of the crate.
Every night, he goes and stretches out on his hot water bottle and he's still there in the morning :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks anyway hun, i will try the hot water bottle. we cant have her in with us untill shes at least potty trained. we have our son the the bedroom with us i dont want him breathing that in while his sleeping xx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts