Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Godric is a crier, and while he's only my second Chi, he cries more so than any other dog i've ever owned at any age.

When we first got him he had worms and I chalked up most of the crying to that and being so young so I wasn't as concerned that he wasn't really crying himself out because I know he was miserable.

But now we're just at the 12 week mark, I wouldn't be concerned but I think the crying is getting worse not better.

He cries every morning bright and early at 6 (his schedule, not mine) to let me know he's awake and expects breakfast and it's not the kind of cry you can sleep through - i've even tried pushing his dinner to later so maybe he'll stay full longer, he'll cry in the night if he hears us get up. We keep the dogs gated into our living room and office but if i'm in any other part of the house, even if he can or can't see me, he cries.

He also cries when we go on walks, at first I thought maybe the temperature was bothering him but i'm careful to take him out quickly and not spend too much time if it's warm but we take the same route, same conditions etc. every day and he doesn't seem to be getting comfortable with it.

I'm just wondering if this is normal? Should I be concerned and also should I let him cry it out (keep in mind he's persistent, generally he crys for a good 45minutes at night and even longer in the morning) or should I pick him up?
I can't see anything physically wrong with him and I don't want to be teaching him a bad behavior of cry and he'll get picked up always.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What does he do if you startle him with a loud noise like a can of pennies or just clapping your hands loudly and saying SHUSH! Does that make any difference? If it temporarily stops his tirade, I would just tell him to quiet down if ignoring it isn't helping. You are right not to pick him up or give him ANY attention at all if he is fussing. I would think he would outgrow it unless it is getting him something he wants... your attention, out of his pen, a shorter walk, etc.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does he do if you startle him with a loud noise like a can of pennies or just clapping your hands loudly and saying SHUSH! Does that make any difference? If it temporarily stops his tirade, I would just tell him to quiet down if ignoring it isn't helping. You are right not to pick him up or give him ANY attention at all if he is fussing. I would think he would outgrow it unless it is getting him something he wants... your attention, out of his pen, a shorter walk, etc.
You know I spoke with my mum a couple days ago and she suggested the can of loose change, I tried it - but to no avail. He didn't even flinch, He just kept yowling and carrying on like nothing had happened.

The crying is just baffling me, he does do normal things like cry to get out of the pen etc but I can be holding him and he's still carrying on!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If he still crys even when youre holding him, it might be an idea to get a vet to check him over - there may be a health reason why hes crying so much.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he still crys even when youre holding him, it might be an idea to get a vet to check him over - there may be a health reason why hes crying so much.
Don't get me wrong i'm not downing my vet at all he's a wonderful and very caring doctor, but he seemed to brush it off like I was overreacting or shouldn't be worried about it when I asked him at our last visit.

Godric is due for shots next week so I am definitely going to bring it up again. He didn't cry on our last visit so I think the doctor thought I was either imagining things or just brushed him off as young.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hopefully the vet will be more helpful next time - I guess a lot of new owners would overreact if a dog was whining for attention, so it's prob. a normal reaction for him to shrug it off the first time, and follow it up if there really is an issue! (Im not saying your overreacting, just someone who doesnt know puppies too well easily could, and im sure he sees a lot of people like that!)

Hes a beautiful pup by the way!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts