Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May I ask everyone how often you need to cut Chi's nails?

Also what do you use to cut their nails?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I tend to do Pippis every month and Maisies every other week. I have normal dog nail clippers but usually use a grinder instead

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
hmmmm Bijoux's are about every 3 weeks. Her nails grow fast and she likes to paw/dig people so I keep them as short as we can.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I use a grinder once a week.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Same as Paula. A grinder once a week.

·
Registered
946 Posts
yep, grinder every week, but mine is a corded one, so if I'm away from the outlet I use the mini nail clippers.

I think raw fed dogs nails grow more/faster:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a grinder but it takes waaaaay too long Tito has very thick big nails.. I just use a dog nail clipper every 2 or 3 weeks and I am due to clip them again this reminds me!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I clip the adults about every 3-4 weeks with regular clippers and the puppies every couple of weeks as the younger they are the faster they seem to grow. I have a grinder but it takes longer and my girls are terrified of it the same way they are afraid of the clippers. With the clippers I can go faster so I just use those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
am I crazy to do Clover's nails by using a human nail file? lol :D

he really doesn't like clippers or grinders so I guess he won and now I do it manually. it takes a lot longer but i try and do it every other day for a few minutes at a time before meals.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Does everyones dogs just sit there??? My leila is a demon and her "claws" look HORRIBLE. I need to run her to the groomer. I Cannot do hers!!! I had heard putting a Sock on their head?!! but wouldn't that make them wig out more?
Bijoux doesn't mind at all. Ever since she was a young puppy I've always played with her paws so now when I trim them she doesn't mind at all : ) I just use regular nail clippers put her on my lap when she's relaxed and clip them nails.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Bijoux doesn't mind at all. Ever since she was a young puppy I've always played with her paws so now when I trim them she doesn't mind at all : ) I just use regular nail clippers put her on my lap when she's relaxed and clip them nails.
:foxes15: Grrrrr!! I want to KICK myself!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
am I crazy to do Clover's nails by using a human nail file? lol :D

he really doesn't like clippers or grinders so I guess he won and now I do it manually. it takes a lot longer but i try and do it every other day for a few minutes at a time before meals.
I keep a human file like they use on acrylic nails handy for times I want to get a quick fix on a rough nail or to lazy to pull out my grinder. I works great. This was how we did it before the grinder came on the scene years ago!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Does everyones dogs just sit there??? My leila is a demon and her "claws" look HORRIBLE. I need to run her to the groomer. I Cannot do hers!!! I had heard putting a Sock on their head?!! but wouldn't that make them wig out more?
Both of mine were terrified at first. They would freak out and squirm and cry. It took literally months to get them used to it. Pip is super good now, he just sits there for the most part, but he is still afraid of it. It helps that he knows he always gets a treat afterward. :p

Roo never got over her fear of the clipper, but she is good with the grinder. I find grinders are easier to get them used to, but it still took a lot of time and persistence for me to get them to this point. How does Leila respond at the groomers?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I try to do mine every week, sometimes it's more like every two weeks though if it's been an extra busy week here. Their nails grow so fast, and both Miley and Reese have black/blue nails so if I let them go longer I'm not able to cut much off. Luckily Leo's are clear and only his nail seems to get longer, never the quick, so he's my easy patient lol. Cheryl mine DO NOT sit there lol, Reese is pretty scared and thrashes around and pulls his little paws away trying to get free. Miley thrashes, kicks me with her free legs, and screams bloody murder at random times just to rattle me I think! This is probably gross but I actually do them in my bed to make easier to restrain them, I bend my knees up an hold their lower bodies between my knees and have the covers over my lap to minimize kicking and squirming, and lay them on their backs on my stomach to do front paws. That helps me keep a good hold on them. I think chis just must not be heavy enough to wear their nails down themselves, I've never had dogs need their nails done so frequently before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts