Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help, it was not bad the first time I cut my puppies nails now he just turned a year old and does not like it, I am halving to take him to the vet or pet smart for about $8.00 to $10.00 a month to do them, I bought a pair of professional clippers and a muzzle and to no avail, I can't get the muzzle on him and he gets really mad when I pull out the clippers, Don't know what to do!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Do you have to use a muzzle? Is is possible that might scare him more? For Zeus, my husband will hold him and let him chew on a jerkie treat while I quickly cut his nails. Once he's done, he gets a "special" treat that he doesn't get on a daily basis. Next time he goes to the vet, tell the vet you want to do this yourself and see what advice he/she has to offer. Not sure what else to say. Some dogs don't mind it and other just completely freak out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jasmine is one of those who absolutely does NOT like to have her nails clipped. In fact, she really doesn't like for you to even touch her feet. I don't know why, as we've never clipped into the quick. All her nails, except for one foot, are light colored so it is easy to see how far to clip.

My oldest grand-daughter and I clip her nails together. I wrap Jasmine up burrito-style in a towel (thanks to Nate for this suggestion) and hold her while she clips the nails. I talk soothingly to Jasmine while she is clipping. She doesn't like it, but it's over fairly quickly and then she gets a special treat.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
with some dog's the more restraint you use the worse off they are. how old is your baby? introducing a muzzle to a puppy isn't the best idea in my eyes. even though they are safe, on my opinion on a puppy they aren't necessary. we had 3 puppies today and none of them were good. it took a lot of time to clip nails and groom them but it was worth the extra time and cuddling, we didn't want to make their first grooming experience traumatizing.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The girls who work at my vet's clinic cut Tucker's nails for me and do not charge for it. I bring a pan of brownies by from time to time or a special cake to let them know how much I appreciate their help. Of course, Tucker has a special place in their hearts, as he spent over a week at their clinic when he had Parvo at 7 weeks of age. :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
No matter what I do, Angel will not let me trim them. I just take her to a groomer to have them done. It is a lot less stressful on us both. LOL

·
Registered
683 Posts
I wouldnt know where to start with cutting nails - i asked my vet to do it thinking coco's nails where long and he sed u cldnt even cut them a mili metre lol - some of her's are clear and some are dark coloured so u cant see where not to cut.

Think i'd just leave it to the professionals - even tho i think coco wld let me do it!

·
Registered
538 Posts
chimom said:
Jasmine is one of those who absolutely does NOT like to have her nails clipped. In fact, she really doesn't like for you to even touch her feet. I don't know why, as we've never clipped into the quick. All her nails, except for one foot, are light colored so it is easy to see how far to clip.
Taco is the same.....he was OK with it when he was little, but now he hates it. I looked up some old threads on here and found one that said to hold him while standing (away from your body). It works. I have my husband hold him while I clip away. He's so concerned with feeling insecure up there, it's done before he knows it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I always play with Melys`s feet. I stroke them when she lays on me so that she is used to them being touched. The same with her ears, so i can clean them easier. I also look into her mouth so shes used to having her mouth touched. I usually trim her nails while shes asleep on me and trim the hair there at the same time, so that its not whispy looking. Failing that i get my boyfriend to hold her. Shes ok as long as im fairly quick and dont mess about too long.... lol. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.