Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

For the life of me I cannot cut Paiges nails. They are so long now that its making her feet look dd.

We have tried all sorts to cut them, wrapping her in a towel, hubby holding her while i try to clip them and me holding her and hubby clipping. I have also spent hours touching her nails then giving her a treat, touching her nails giving her a treat. Shes having non of it. She has a complete fit everytime we try, she wriggles and cries and struggles. Im so scared of hurting her if we hold her to tight, shes so little!

Any tips or tricks?

I have considered getting a dremmel, but I think the noise would freak her out.

Heres a pic. (You would not believe how hard it was just to get this picture!)

x

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
have you tried using a nail file??
If you cant do it then you will have
no choice but to take her to your vet
and have them do it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I would go to a nail salon and buy one of their really course acrylic nail files :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Im having the same problem with Lola at the moment... i used to work in a grooming salon so im gunna take her over and get my friend to have a go if i hold her.
If not she might just have to be muzzled coz shes snapping at me like a parana fish!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Im having the same problem with Lola at the moment... i used to work in a grooming salon so im gunna take her over and get my friend to have a go if i hold her.
If not she might just have to be muzzled coz shes snapping at me like a parana fish!!
Honeys nails are black and I dont like to cut them my self in case I make her
bleed. But I take her to my vet, they charge me $10 and she is perfect for them.
Izzy's nails are clear so hers will be easy to do, my cousin cut them the day I got her and she was a very good girl. I will be able to do hers my self. I cut my Exotic's nails every week so I will do Izzy's when I do his. I feel so bad for you
guys having trouble with your chi's nails :(

·
Registered
768 Posts
Honeys nails are black and I dont like to cut them my self in case I make her
bleed. But I take her to my vet, they charge me $10 and she is perfect for them.
Izzy's nails are clear so hers will be easy to do, my cousin cut them the day I got her and she was a very good girl. I will be able to do hers my self. I cut my Exotic's nails every week so I will do Izzy's when I do his. I feel so bad for you
guys having trouble with your chi's nails :(
Lola used to be a little darling till not long ago.... since she got spayed and 3 weeks after had to have a biopsy done shes started thinking shes gunna get hurt all the time :(
Penny is a star no probs with that 1 shes a angel :D

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Bruno is the very same - he goes totally nuts.

What does work with him though is to cut them when he is in the bath. I wet him all over, he's nice and warm and calm - no shampoo or suds in the water so you can see what you are doing, keep the paw under water and cut - he squirms a little bit but nothing like doing them out of water, the water calms the whole situation :)

·
Banned
420 Posts
A nail file is a good idea - we got an electric nail file/grinder - tried on my own nail - slipped and got the skin - very painful - so never risked it on the dogs!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I take Bailey and Oreo to the vet to have it done. Costs me $20 per dog but it has to be done. Bailey will let me do her nails sometimes but she moves so much, I am afraid I am going to hurt her. Oreo is really bad for nails, she gets muzzled. She has peed on me and its the only time she has ever bit me. Pinky is my good girl, she stays still and lets me do whatever needs to be done so no vet for her.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All my other chis are great having their nails done but Paige just freaks out. Just trying to get that picture left her a shaking wreck. Wish you guys could see it, she really panics.

I might try doing them in the bath as she dosent move in the bath, just stands there. If that don't work I think she might have to be sedated at the vets. Bless her

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Simba has long hard tough nails and black so it's hard to see the quick,i let my vet do it she even did Dottie's tiny tiny ones (did ask her if she went to specsavers before she did it ) Never charges either and they seem to behave there as well

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Trying to cut in the bath is worth a try. The last time I tried to do Sassy she started screaming like I was killing her. And she's getting so old I don't want to stress her. Her nales are white so I can see what I'm doing and she's never been hurt when cutting nails, I don't know why she acted that way. But glad to see this thread. Thanks all.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pepper freaks out when I try to cut hers. I've tried doing one a day, so they are all even after a week or so. She screams and bites at anyone but me. She starts jerking away from me when she hears the clippers click open. I've done the same as you and given her treats and pet her while holding the clippers without even cutting anything, but it doesn't seem to be working. I think some dogs just don't like it.

I usually just take her into the vet and get charged extra for her being "hard". Its $10 instead of $6. Her nails are also black, I wonder if the black ones are thicker or if its just coincedence. Coco's are all white and she just sits there when I do hers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is it OK if I ask why a chihuahua even needs a nail trim?.
Is this a chi thing?. I never trimmed my eskie's nails, never had any issues and didn't even own a file, clippers ...whatever.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I use a grinder. I do them every weekend. It takes about 2 seconds per nail. Have a good friend who is a groomer and have watched her do nails on dogs who threw holy terror fits. She just held onto the dog firmly at the elbow and let them scream. Some of them would scream bloody murder for 5 minutes which seemed like a lifetime! They would finally be exhausted and stop and then she'd clip the nail. She never let the dog win. After a few times they learn that if they throw a fit - it just prolongs the process. They may never like it, but they will learn to tolerate it.

If you absolutely cannot get them done, then you'll have to go to the vet.

I think you can do it! You aren't going to hurt her. Just be firm. And matter of fact... and get it done.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I put a sock on Laurel's head, she's our demon dog, and she is big enough she really can hurt you with her wriggling around and flipping out. Basically we just ignore her fits and get it over with. I use a dremmel, which none of mine like. I really am not joking about the sock thing though. TBH I do not like clipping because it gives them a chance to "anticipate" that it will hurt because it kinda squeezes the nail first and they can feel it in the quick and I think that freaks them out. The sock on the head sounds a little mean but it keeps her from biting (otherwise, she was drawing blood from biting me or hubby and it was making me REALLY mad lol, the one time I had a full on bite mark for over 2 weeks from her, so I finally was like WTF dog...). I agree though, just wrap her up and have only the paw you are doing sticking out and have hubby hold her super firm. You are boss not little 3 lb paige ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Is it OK if I ask why a chihuahua even needs a nail trim?.
Is this a chi thing?. I never trimmed my eskie's nails, never had any issues and didn't even own a file, clippers ...whatever.
No, it's a "most dogs" thing. If they aren't outside running around 90% of the time (and even still, they need trims!)...it will need to be done.

So, if you have never done it before, ask your vet or the breeder you get your dog from how to do it. It is an absolute must and their nails can get VERY long and cause serious problems for their feet and joints.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tracy and Kristi, you are so right! Im being a complete wimp and letting her win. She has come to me with so many nervous issues that Im feeling sorry for her and Im letting her win.

When hubby gets home Im gonna do the sock thing and wrap her in a towel, hubby can hold her and ill clip. If that dont work Ill try her in the bath and if that dont work Sarahs gonna come and do it! She takes no prisioners!

I keep looking at dremels, I think Ill invest in one.

Thanks for everyones replies they are much appreciated xx

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, it's a "most dogs" thing. If they aren't outside running around 90% of the time (and even still, they need trims!)...it will need to be done.

So, if you have never done it before, ask your vet or the breeder you get your dog from how to do it. It is an absolute must and their nails can get VERY long and cause serious problems for their feet and joints.
Paiges feet look awful when shes standing on a hard floor.......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts