Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a couple harnesses and use 3/4" "D" rings attached with either 3/4" or 7/8" grossgrain ribbon stitched as close to the ring as you can get (so leaving little wiggle room for it). The "D" ring always seems to flip so instead of the flat part being under the ribbon, it's to the right or left & the leash clip is then thru the point of the "D" ring instead of the curved part... The last couple harnesses I've made, I've had to keep a close eye on the "D" ring, because the joint starts to work it's way off the ribbon.
Has anyone else had this problem, and what's the sollution?

Here's a couple pix of his harnesses and how I've attached the "D" rings

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had this problem a few times....I put tape around the opening of the ring, and that seemed to help keep it inside the fabric if the tape was thick enough. You could also try hand stitching around the sides of the ring right where it shows where it comes out from under the fabric...hope this helps. Ive also made harnesses with out the D ring, and just hooked the leash through the loop in the fabric...this works ok if your dog is not a big puller.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Try doubling your ribbon up to make it thicker or using some of that under wonder stuf to make it stiffer where you put the "D" ring...

Good luck

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks...
Tico failed the "no pulling" part of puppy training!! That is actually part of why the D ring moves around I think; because he is always looking like a sled dog! Because of that, I've had to make the neck strap long enough to have two strips of velcro, otherwise he can pull out of it!
I was thinking about using 2 layers of ribbon on the next one. And will go back thru the others and tape up the rings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts