Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am wanting a dachsund and I was wondering if any of you have one? If so, please overwhelm me with informatiion :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
My brother has one and he is a real sweetie! Very smart :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
The only thing I know for sure about them is that you have to be very careful with their backs (I considered one before I got Pablo, but couldn't get past that particular potential problem after Dary and his CVI). The Doxies that I have met are loyal, enthusiastic characters, and great watchdogs! We camp next to a couple every Labor Day - smooth-coated black-and-rust "tweenies" - I call them The Sawed-Off Dobermans LOL! Great little guys!

·
Registered
912 Posts
"Dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig... all the work day long!!!!!!"

Haha, so every dachshund I have ever known has been a digger. And a jumper! Granted, I don't know that their owners were the best trainers either!..

Cuties though...

·
Registered
355 Posts
You know, Digger - or Diggory, for a red boy, like Diggory Venn from Return of the Native? - would be a cute name for a Doxie!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sister has eight mini dachshunds...yep, diggers and escape artists...:) she has all three coats plus a couple of dapples..she loves the temperment on the long coats the best, even though she thouroughly loves all eight. Her red smooth coat just had a tumor removed and one of her breasts, luckily the tumor was pre-cancerous, but a scary situation all around.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had one. loved him dearly.Not a jumper or digger. but I did have to put him down at age 9 because of a bad back. He started out one day just yepping every time he turned his head. 3 days latter he could not even bend his head down to eat. The vet said it was degernative spinal trama. A very comman problem with dachsunds. Not treatable. I will not get another one because I saw the pain that he went through. It really happened within days of playing and beening happy. No jumping or horse play to cause it. Just out of the blue. I hope you don't have to go through this too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have never owned one but my hubby has growing up and his grandpa has one now. From what he has told me they are loyal dogs. His grandpa's Clifford is a great watch dog for them. He barks at anyone he sees when he is in their yard. He is also very attached to his grandpa and hangs around him all the time. He loves sitting in his lap and when we go visit them thats usually where he is at lol. I have been researching into the breed too because when we do get another dog the Mini Dachshund is the breed we have decided to get as well.

Here is a link with good info on Dachshunds. Dachshund, Dachshunds, Wiener Dog, little hot dog, hotdog dog

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have owned 8 total and currently have 6. None of mine have had back issues and so far, all have lived long lives. My first dachshund, Oscar, lived to be 18 and never had any problems with his back - he did have a bout with cancer when he was 11. He had surgery and then chemo and lived another 7 years. I lost another very old dachshund about a year ago to nasal cancer (not sure of his age - he was old when I got him). Of my current dachshunds, one is 15 and doing very well, except at a much slower pace than everyone else. I absolutely love the breed and highly recommend them. Oh - none of mine have been diggers, either. They canbe a little stubborn, but there's nothing I like better than coming home from work, opening the back door and watching 6 little wiener butts race around the back yard.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think they are a wonderful little breed.. We haven't owned one personally, but our daughter has one and he is her constant companion and smart as he can be.. She adores Louie!
My cousin in Alabama raised them for many years, but is now widowed and retired, so he only has 2 of his "seniors" as his companions now. I was so very "tempted" to come home with a pup everytime we visited him and there was a new litter in the house..They are such adorable puppies and his were all so loving and very devoted to their "people."

·
Registered
410 Posts
We had 1 when i was at home. She was a miniture long haired black and tan called Sadie. We lost her age 3 she was murdered. She was a lovely dog to own xx

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My gran had one before she died, he was her constant companion. He was overweight, she loved treating him to snacks and that strained his back.

He is also growing little "mole" thing that the vet burns off so often, a type of cancer i'm not sure - my mom isn't very good at relaying information. Sparky, the weenie, is rather old 12+ maybe?

When she passed away he went to live with my Great-Aunt, he's lost a considerable amount of weight but he's just not the same without her.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My youngest is half-dachshund and he definitely lives up to the breed characteristics mentioned.

Loves to burrow under anything, loves to jump and play with toys and is the guard dog of the three. I've been training him to stop barking when I say "quiet" which has been slow, but steady.

Overall, he is such a joy though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One of my doxies is a rescue who had been kept in a small dark shed with 28 other small dogs. They had very limited access to food and water and several of the dogs were dead when they were finally rescued. After going to the humane society, this little guy was adopted a couple times, but always returned because he had such a terrible fear of people. I knew I could work with him, though. When I first brought him home, he would not even go outside to go potty if I was anywhere nearby, so I would have to prop the back door open and go hide in the bathroom in order for him to feel comfortable enough to go outside. That was 3 years ago and he is now the king of the castle. He is an adorable long-haired chocolate tweenie named Topper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts