Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone else has this problem with rabbits. It's been going on about every other year or so since we've been here (12 yrs) so it's not all the same culprit - a rabbit will dig a scrape inside the fence (this morning's was point-blank to the deck in the backyard) and line it with dead grass and belly fur for the purpose of having babies. Usually I catch it before they kindle, but one year I didn't and wound up having to remove a litter of rabbits from the backyard (I am pretty sure they didn't make it, guilt guilt). One other year she put her litter by the front door in a flower bed...we seldom use the front door, and I didn't notice them until they were quite old and a predator found them and made a terrific mess - fur, blood and flowers everywhere.

We're not the only green space in the neighborhood, and every inch of that backyard must smell like dog...what on earth are these daft rabbits thinking? There's plenty of room outside the fence. I would expect any prey animal to know better than this. Have any of you experienced this, and do you have any insights as to the whys and how I can discourage it? I can't use the fox scent because I'm a vegetarian - anyway, if the dogs don't deter them, I'm not sure a fox would, either. Thanks much.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
That is strange? I guess they have a death wish? I have a nest of birds that always builds in the same spot under my porch. Every year they either fall to their death on the cement or the dogs get them :-( We have tried knocking the nests down but they still end up building and the same thing over and over again :-(

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That must be hard to deal with. You know what makes me sad? Ground nesting birds, like Kildeer. It just seems like they're taking such a terrible risk, you know? Kind of fatalistic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts