Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you give up to 8% of their body weight but I think that's more for working dogs or their amount as an adult!! Lotus is estimated about 4 1/2 - 5lb daisy is 5lb but lost half a pound from throwing up and being starved

Anyway daisy has 2oz a day and lotus has 1.5 - 2oz plus boiled chicken for training anyway she's grown but not gained an ounce in 2 weeks her breeder says she's a slow grower and hardly gained between six and eight weeks. I don't wanna e d up over feeding her and she doesn't act hungry at all she's lazy and likes her sleep but she's walked for 30 mins a day (I carry her on the rest of daisys walk) runs around and plays with doo and me and sleeps!!

Oh she's also always got a bully near by as she is at that chewing age!!

What do u guys think?? She's in perfect shape too btw

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sarah, I would say to let her body condition be your guide rather than percentages. If she is in perfect body shape, then let it be and keep doing what you are doing. If she's pudgy, cut back. Too ribby, feed more. It sounds like she's right where she needs to be. Keep doing what you're doing! :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I've always done but I'm concerned she's not even gained an ounce dice I got her!! She's just stuck at 2lb happily for 2 weeks!! I know raw babies don't gain ad fast as kibble babies so I wonder if that with her being a slow grower just means she will not gain fr a bit then put on like a whole pound lol

I'll stick to this amount and see how she goes

Thanks tracy

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sarah, I think you are on the right track. I like to see puppies grow very slowly and steadily and to stay on the lean side. It is so much healthier for their joints. Roly poly pudgy pups are cute, but that's not optimal. Keep doing what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I don't know anything about raw fed babies, but an average weight gain for a Chi pup at her age is about 3 oz. a week. :) It can even be 4 to 5 oz. a week here and there. I agree with Tracy on optimal body condition. If they look to thin, up their food, too pudgy (even as a pup) lower their food.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks :) I don't like chunky dogs lol daisy is well covered but that's just her shape she's got a lovely little waist and tuck now she's maturing into a stroppy teenager!! I'll carry on with these amounts for lotus and stop worrying haa

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Slow and steady wins the race, raw fed puppies grow slower than kibble fed ones, and slower is better for them as they mature into adults. I have heard some people feed 4% of their current weight and adjust as needed, I agree with Tracy though you need to follow her Body Condition, is she fat? Is she too skinny etc & then adjust accordingly. Zoey was a pretty slow grower and she was kibble fed.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lotus is fed 2ish % of her adult weight

She's perfect has a little waist gets a pudgy belly after meals and looks a little leggy ATM as she's out of proportion

Her ribs are easier to feel than daisys but daisy has always been insulated. I'll weigh her again at the end of the week see if she's put anything on

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, raw fed babies definitely grow slower. When we switched to raw I fed Marley (who was 5 1/2mo at the time) 2% of what his estimated adult weight was. He ended up going way down in weight the first week or so. Ultimately, I had to go from feeding him about 2.5oza day to about 6oz a day! Even still he only went from 5lbs 7oz t 5.5mo to 5lbs 15oz now at 1yo. He's a pretty good weight now I think though I won't be surprised if he goes up to 6.5lbs at some point.

Personally, I'd up her intake by .5oz daily only because sometimes some pups require a bit more food than others...especially puppies. I'm glad she's not loosing...and also some pups do hit a plateau in weight (Maxie was the same weight from 10-14 weeks). But I'd just keep monitoring her & give her a little extra & see how she does. .5oz extra intake won't do her any harm though by any means. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lyra's throwing me for a total loop. Her body looks and feels pretty much the same as it did a week ago, but the scale insists she DROPPED two ounces. So, we're upping her intake from 1-1.5oz daily to 1.5-2oz daily. Sine I've had her she's one of those dogs who I can keep a little too thin or a little too fat, but I've yet to fall onto that 'perfect weight' recipe, so I feel your concern.

I do agree with what everyone's stated, though. Let your dog, and not the numbers, guide you. If her body feels the way it should, do as you're doing. If you want to change what you feel, change what you feed.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've upped her amount I weighed both girls today daisy is 4lb 8 and lotus is 2lb still she's just under 15 weeks and has stayed this weight for 3 weeks. I bathed her today as she's starting to shed her coat and is itching and after her bath she looks soooo tiny she's not Boney she is covered but I wonder if she's just burning it all off

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
All of mine have 3.5 oz a day, split into 2 meals.

You've seen them all, they are just right. Poppy has the same and has gained about 4 oz in total since we collected her.

I think that because they are such an energetic pack, they need that tiny bit extra to maintain the weights they all are . Hope that makes sense.

DoLotus and Daisy run around alot and play? x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow that's loads of food!!

Not really they prob spend about 2 hours a day chasing each other (daisy speed!!!) daisy seems fine on 2-2.5oz a day she pretty much maintains ok

Lotus is v lazy (think darcy!!) would rather laze around all day but she comes on long walks and I pick her up after about 25 mins coz I don't want her overdoing it with her little legs and joints she is getting less lazy as tome goes on but she's not on the go like daisy was all the time shed rather sleep.

She's deffo not underweight but I would be more comfortable if she chunked up a little.

Lol poppy was round round round little fatty that's why she's gaining slowly coz she isn't eying u out of house ad home haha

My vet wasn't bothered he said some just grow in spurts rather than continuously who knows time will tell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts