Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He bullies Khorra around a lot. Anytime she is interested in any toy, he will run over and take it from her and will growl and not let her near. Until she goes and plays with another toy, then he has to have that one too. I have two beds that are exactly the same but Dakota only seems interested in the one Khorra is in. He will kick her out even though it's plenty big enough for both of them. Today I gave each of them a small piece of chicken. They were on opposite sides if the pen. Dakota wasn't sure he wanted to eat his but he saw Khorra scarfing hers and he went over to the corner she was in and kind of trapped her there. She finished her chicken and went to walk by Dakota who was still eating his and he kept growling at her and wouldn't let her pass. I ended up picking Khorra up and put her on the other side of the pen. It makes me wonder if I should've gotten a puppy that was younger than her. Sometimes they play pretty good, but it seems like I am always feeling so bad for Khorra because she is bullied so much. She wants to play with him so badly, but he just has a very low tolerance for her. Does anyone have any advice?

I just want to add that he never hurts her. Sometimes it sounds like they are killing each other but that only lasts for a minute and they are fine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
He bullies Khorra around a lot. Anytime she is interested in any toy, he will run over and take it from her and will growl and not let her near. Until she goes and plays with another toy, then he has to have that one too. I have two beds that are exactly the same but Dakota only seems interested in the one Khorra is in. He will kick her out even though it's plenty big enough for both of them. Today I gave each of them a small piece of chicken. They were on opposite sides if the pen. Dakota wasn't sure he wanted to eat his but he saw Khorra scarfing hers and he went over to the corner she was in and kind of trapped her there. She finished her chicken and went to walk by Dakota who was still eating his and he kept growling at her and wouldn't let her pass. I ended up picking Khorra up and put her on the other side of the pen. It makes me wonder if I should've gotten a puppy that was younger than her. Sometimes they play pretty good, but it seems like I am always feeling so bad for Khorra because she is bullied so much. She wants to play with him so badly, but he just has a very low tolerance for her. Does anyone have any advice?

I just want to add that he never hurts her. Sometimes it sounds like they are killing each other but that only lasts for a minute and they are fine.
I'm pretty new to Chi parenthood but I just recently got a new Chi puppy for Zeus to play with. She was 8 weeks old and she sure as heck bullied him around for a while. If she was sleeping on my lap and Zeus walked over, she'd growl at him. If he was eating, she would run over and kick him out and eat...I think even if she wasn't hungry! However, two weeks have gone by and they now can't get enough of each other. I worried that I had made a wrong choice in bringing another chi home for a playmate when they wouldn't even play! Plus it seemed that Zeus was always feeling defeated (despite him being a year older and bigger than her).

But now they seem to love each other, despite the occasional growl here and there if Luna is feeling fiesty.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Heather, that makes me feel better. Sometimes I just feel so bad for Khorra because she looks so sad after he is mean to her. I got him to be a companion to her, not to make her sad. But, it hasn't been a week yet so I know I need to give it time. I hope they do end up being best friends.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks Heather, that makes me feel better. Sometimes I just feel so bad for Khorra because she looks so sad after he is mean to her. I got him to be a companion to her, not to make her sad. But, it hasn't been a week yet so I know I need to give it time. I hope they do end up being best friends.
Yeah, I was pretty upset about how Luna was acting towards Zeus at first. I think they just have to understand each other and weight each other up. Now they play and she'll chase him around and its like they can't get enough of each other. Dakota might just be nervous in his new home. :) Keep me updated on how they do!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi Jennifer don't worry my two were like that the first two week's. Now they get on great they play all the time. Just give it time and they will have lots of fun together.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
They're just sorting out their pecking order. It seems mean to us but it is natural dog behaviour and as long as no one is actually getting hurt you need to let them sort it out.

I questioned myself bringing Chloe into our home as a playmate for Ax because she screamed the house down if he so much as touched her for the first week or so but within a month they were inseperable best buddies. Khorra and Dakota will sort it out soon and you will not regret your decision.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Aww, poor Khorra. I'm sure they will get along eventually. It will just take some time for them to each warm up to each other. It's only been several days so far.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know, the funny thing is that they love to make a liar out of me. Ever since I posted this, they have been little angels together, lol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts