Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really hoping the big bag of S&C freeze dried would last me at least a week. The dogs, while they will eat anything, LOVE S&C. So I had considered going straight to that and just rotate the flavors (and some ZP at times too). But it only lasts four days :nmad2: That's alot for such a short amount of time. Boooo! That's roughly 7.50 dollars a day too feed the boys. Hmm....I wish I could get my hands on frozen since I know it costs less. But by the time I pay for shipping frozen goods, I may as well pay for the freeze dried.
Does anyone know where to get frozen S&C without super high shipping costs?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I just started feeding the raw today so i have no idea of what you could do. I hope someone has an idea, or suggestion. Do any of your local stores sell it or something similar?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I was really hoping the big bag of S&C freeze dried would last me at least a week. The dogs, while they will eat anything, LOVE S&C. So I had considered going straight to that and just rotate the flavors (and some ZP at times too). But it only lasts four days :nmad2: That's alot for such a short amount of time. Boooo! That's roughly 7.50 dollars a day too feed the boys. Hmm....I wish I could get my hands on frozen since I know it costs less. But by the time I pay for shipping frozen goods, I may as well pay for the freeze dried.
Does anyone know where to get frozen S&C without super high shipping costs?
How much are they eating of the freeze dried? I use those occasionally and Brody gets half of a patty for a meal. Maybe you are feeding too much?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Find a small/natural/holistic pet store in your area and ask them to order it for you if they dont already. The freeze dried are exactly twice the price of the frozen, and since youre feeding a boston as well I would imagine they arent lasting too long! My husband bet me that he could find a good price on frozen online, and he could not. Shipping is outrageous bc they have to STAY frozen, so they are shipping them express. My local natural pet store does not charge me any extra to order it in, they dont carry it but special order it for us. Have you already checked S&Cs website for stores near to you? We have one about 25 miles from us, but I pay the same per bag whether I buy it there or have it ordered.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much are they eating of the freeze dried? I use those occasionally and Brody gets half of a patty for a meal. Maybe you are feeding too much?
Really? That's all? How much does Brody weigh? Gunner just turned 6 lbs so I've been feeding as per directions on the bag. Two patties a day for his size. Hercules is about 21 lbs (bag says 6 patties for 22 lbs) so I give him the full 6 and he looks great.
I will say that Gun is looking "thick." Not fat by any means. He still has a waist and I can feel ribs. Just fuller. So I don't know if that's too much food or he's just starting to fill out (he's 8 months now).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Find a small/natural/holistic pet store in your area and ask them to order it for you if they dont already. The freeze dried are exactly twice the price of the frozen, and since youre feeding a boston as well I would imagine they arent lasting too long! My husband bet me that he could find a good price on frozen online, and he could not. Shipping is outrageous bc they have to STAY frozen, so they are shipping them express. My local natural pet store does not charge me any extra to order it in, they dont carry it but special order it for us. Have you already checked S&Cs website for stores near to you? We have one about 25 miles from us, but I pay the same per bag whether I buy it there or have it ordered.
We live in a pretty small area. There's not a whole of of natural/holistic anything around here! I'm gonna go check S&C website to see if there's anyone close selling.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I thought. There's NO WHERE in the state of Louisiana that sells any form of S&C.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Really? That's all? How much does Brody weigh? Gunner just turned 6 lbs so I've been feeding as per directions on the bag. Two patties a day for his size. Hercules is about 21 lbs (bag says 6 patties for 22 lbs) so I give him the full 6 and he looks great.
I will say that Gun is looking "thick." Not fat by any means. He still has a waist and I can feel ribs. Just fuller. So I don't know if that's too much food or he's just starting to fill out (he's 8 months now).
Brody weighs 5 pounds 3 ounces (just went to the vet). I wonder if you could cut Gunner back a bit and do 1/2-3/4 a patty in the a.m. and 1/2 a patty in the p.m. Do you add water to it and reconstitute it? Or feed it as is? It's freeze dried so it's 'concentrated'.

You could possibly stretch it by feeding half a patty and then adding a couple tablespoons of a good quality canned food? Course I know good canned food is expensive as well. What about getting some chicken breasts and mixing in some chunks of chicken with the S&C? That might stretch it out and certainly wouldn't be detrimental in any way.

Wow, Herc takes 6 patties a day! Dang, yes that would be pretty cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do add water. Always. To any food I feed (well, except straight raw).
Ya know, I could do that to stretch it out. For both boys. Especially Herc since he eats so much more. Add some chicken chunks or beef stew meat already cut up in chunks. And then I'd be happy cuz they are still getting raw too (I know S&C is raw but you KWIM). And I forgot that I still want to do the occasional bone in meal too. So that would cut some costs. Great ideas. You got me to thinking!

I'll cut Gun back to 1 1/2 patties a day and see how that affects his weight. I was jsut comparing the feel of his ribs to how Herc's feel (who looks to be at a perfect weight right now) and I def have to dig a little more to get to Gun's.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We live in a pretty small area. There's not a whole of of natural/holistic anything around here! I'm gonna go check S&C website to see if there's anyone close selling.
Shoot! What a pain. One last thing to try- google to see if any stores somewhat nearby sell Fromms, Orijen/Acana, The Honest Kitchen, Primal etc, any store offering those types of foods should be happy to order Stella and Chewys. Even if its a bit of a drive you could stock up on a big supply of the 6lb bags (bigger patties too, which would be more convenient for feeding your Boston). There are two stores here that sell that kind of food and will order S&C for us (granted this is kind of a hippie town :)), one is a natural pet food supply store, the other is a dog grooming place that also happens to carry a lot of the premium kibbles and some premade raws, so not immediately obvious from their name/business that they would have food. Maybe a long shot, but worth a try!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts