Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i went out and bought the litter yesterday cause I thought it would help bella since it seems like she wasn't wanting to go outside. Well I put a peed pad inside the litter box over the litter and all she did was try eating the litter! We kept trying to put her in there. Finally we got her to go in and all she would do was sit in there and cry. So we blocked off a portion of the apt to keep a better eye on her. Well letting her outta her cage to play only resulted in her having like 4 accidents on the carpet. After each accident we would scoop her up and put her in the litter pan and all she would do was try to get out or just sit there.
This morning I put her in the litter box and she would not go to save her life. So i put her in her cage and checked on her 5 min later she had peed all in her cage! So now i just gave in and put a pee pad down. I just dont know what to do. :(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Just be persistant, keep her in the box until she goes, Ziva is being stubborn about it as well, but eventually will go. How much extra room is in the cage? I have a box in Ziva's so she just has room to stand up and lay down so that way she can't pee on one end and lay down in the other. She's had a couple of accidents, but they were partially my fault as I gave her water too late last night. Ziva only gets out to play right after she has gone potty in the box. I spent 10 minutes this morning waiting for Ziva to potty in the litterbox, she eventually did and I praised the heck out of her and let her run around for a bit. She pooped in her crate after I fed her this morning, but that was my fault again as I didn't put her in the litter box soon enough after feeding. Everytime you let her out of her cage she should be going in the litter box, then if she goes potty she gets free play, otherwise back in the cage for a few minutes and try again. She'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Its only been two days with the litter so my guess is you have not given time for oyur dog to realise what she needs to do.

Patience and time is the key... with repititiion...

I am still struggling with Red, I know if he has done something in the house as he slinks down and looks at me with that .. sorry mummy look,

Yet he will sometimes give me a teeny clue that eh wants to go outside

I feel like pulling my hair out sometimes but I just clean up and hope he learns soon.

Deme x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Could you put the scent of pee in the litter so she smells it? When she goes on the pee pad, for example, could you cut out the peed on area and then put it in the litter box so she can smell it there? Maybe that would help. Dogs depend a LOT on their noses.

On that same note, if she goes on your carpet and you don't get the smell completely GONE she will be drawn back to that same spot to go again.

I would keep a poop in the litter box too. Just to remind her that it is a toilet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts