Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's the 2nd morning on raw and it hasn't gone to well.
Phoebe my pug ate all hers (nice chucky chicken thigh with abit of bone) and she has threw the lot up. To be honest it looked like more than what I gave her.
Now what do I do with her because her next meal is at tea time? Do I wait until then before giving her more?

Charlie didn't seem to excited about having his. He ate the meaty bit but left the boney bit. He does like to hide his food but I can't let him hide raw meat. Anyway he has kept his down so far so atleast I know he shouldn't be to hungry.

So I don't know what to do now. Everytime I go in the kitchen they're following me, I suppose they think they're having some more.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The pug may have a sensitivity to chicken if he is continually vomiting it up. That's not normal.

Sometimes it takes them awhile to catch on that they eat the bones too. Just keep doing what you're doing and see. Obviously take away the bone if he is burying it. Sometimes you can hold it in your hand and put him on your lap and let him gnaw on it that way to give him the idea that it is to be eaten.

Not every dog thrives on a raw diet. It's not for everyone, although I think it is the perfect diet for the vast majority of dogs.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will stick at it and see how they go.

What do I do though if she is sick? Do I not feed again until the next meal time?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If she vomits after eating, don't feed anything until the next time. If she vomits again, then I'd say she can't tolerate chicken.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've been researching the raw diet lately & just read on a book that if your dog hides/buries their food they are being over fed. Just a thought on the hiding food comment. :)

I hope it starts going a bit better for your pups - good for you in going raw!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well tea time has gone better :). Phoebe (pug) has kept in down this time. I hand fed her though because she has a tendancy to gulp it down. Maybe thats why she was sick this morning. She is terrible with food, no manners, lol

So all good. I will see what tomorrow brings.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yay!!! That is great news. Yes, sometimes they eat too fast and then just hork it back up. There is a learning curve with this method of feeding, you are doing great.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well tea time has gone better :). Phoebe (pug) has kept in down this time. I hand fed her though because she has a tendancy to gulp it down. Maybe thats why she was sick this morning. She is terrible with food, no manners, lol

So all good. I will see what tomorrow brings.
My mum's pugs are soooo terrible with theirs as well! Otis eats in like 5 seconds flat. It's ridiculous!!! I'm glad Pheobe was able to keep the food down though!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Actually just because she's vomitin doesn't mean its a sensitivity. I know I've posted this before but the first time I tried to switch Schroeder he vomited and had diarrhea after eating even a nibble of raw chicken. Really bad. I thought he was allergic/sensitive to chicken.
Then I tried him on beef instead and he was fine. I then tried chicken again and he's fine. No sensitivity. For some reason the initial chicken was too much but once he started on raw he could eat it fine.

Also make sure your chicken isn't enhanced. If it has over 80mg of sodium that could be causing an issue too.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Actually just because she's vomitin doesn't mean its a sensitivity. I know I've posted this before but the first time I tried to switch Schroeder he vomited and had diarrhea after eating even a nibble of raw chicken. Really bad. I thought he was allergic/sensitive to chicken.
Then I tried him on beef instead and he was fine. I then tried chicken again and he's fine. No sensitivity. For some reason the initial chicken was too much but once he started on raw he could eat it fine.

Also make sure your chicken isn't enhanced. If it has over 80mg of sodium that could be causing an issue too.
Good points Quinn!! Thanks for pointing that out. I have heard that a true allergy to raw chicken is pretty rare. I guess I was lucky.... Brody never had any diarrhea/vomiting and took right to it. I was so relieved after months and months of his pickiness and about to give up!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have heard that pugs can be windy because of the muzzle shape and that gulping maybe why he vomitted. Good luck ..he kept down this meal has he ??

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Good points Quinn!! Thanks for pointing that out. I have heard that a true allergy to raw chicken is pretty rare. I guess I was lucky.... Brody never had any diarrhea/vomiting and took right to it. I was so relieved after months and months of his pickiness and about to give up!

Oh yeah Phoebe took to it like a fish to water as well. Well minus the fact that I had some choking scares with her :rolleyes: She's somewhat of a gulper too. Depending on what she's eating I like to hold it for her. Both her and Schroeder also choke on kibble, so I dunno what the hell to do with the little weirdos. They act like I starve them everytime they are fed!

Schroeder swallowed half a chicken wing whole the other day. I don't even know how he FIT it in him.

But yes actual meat allergies are rare in dogs. Most of the time there is something else coming in to play. And normally allergies end up presenting in itchiness and such rather than just not holding the food down.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
Thanks for all the advice.
Day 3 on Raw is going good, again my pug has kept it down (I am hand feeding her to stop her rushing it) so I'm quite pleased with the way it's going.

One question I do have is I've noticed with Charlie (chi) he seems to be abit quieter than usual. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Day 2 for me, Can't find chicken from yesterday so assuming it was eaten or very well hid.

Today Jake chewed at his chicken for like 5min and hasn't touched it since. Its lying there in the middle of the floor waiting to be eaten. He has a few times licked his bowl to see if anything else was on offer and has now resorted to pulling all the stuffing out of his toys...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
One question I do have is I've noticed with Charlie (chi) he seems to be abit quieter than usual. Is this normal?
How so? He could just be very full if he ate more than usual, or it could be completely unrelated. But I wouldn't say its ever normal for your dog to be acting out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He just seems abit quieter. Saying that he's chewing on my pugs leg at the moment lol now turning into a full play fight lol.
Well normally at bedtime he will razz around the room for 15mins or so but the last couple of nights he's got straight in bed and settled down.
I don't know how to describe it but generally I spend most of the day telling him not to do something e.g chewing something he shouldn't or telling him to calm down when his play fighting gets a bit rough with my Pug.

Iv'e just read this back to myself and it just sounds like he's being a good boy lol So it might just be me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hahaha. Maybe he's just behaving. Sometimes you tell a dog something for MONTHS and then one day they just get it. Or one day they decide to get it haha.
Doesn't sound as if he's sick though

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well ignore what I put about being quiter. Since I wrote that it's like he's possesed lol. He's certainatly lively today lol.

Day 4 on raw and still going well. I think it will be raw forever more now (which is slightly annoying because I brought loads of different dog foods to try them on lol)

Another question though. Once we get past the transition period, what other bones can they have? I want to start looking for a good butchers now so I know I'm sorted for the future.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yay Phoebe and Charlie!! Great news!! So glad to hear of your success. After they have been on raw for awhile you will start to notice the changes it brings... less shedding, beautiful clean teeth, more muscle definition, more energy (I know! We didn't need that! LOL!), small compact stools that are nearly odorless, just blooming HEALTHY.

Once you graduate to other proteins, you can do quail or rabbits for bone. Also some pork and lamb bones are edible. Mainly the ribs. There's not much in beef bones that works for little dogs, although ox tail is great if you can find it. Personally, I use the cornish hens for bone and feed the other meaty meals as variety. Brody likes lamb breast and the bone there, but not a huge fan of other bones. Since 10% of the diet is bone, that's a very very small amount. A 5 pound dog needs between 1-2 ounces of bone a WEEK.

That's what is required in the diet, although some dogs require and need more than the 10% bone for firm stools. If you see sloppy stools, increase the bone. If you see crumbly whitish stools and straining while pooping, add more meat. Just a case of knowing your dog. At this stage, you want to err on the side of more bone to get and keep stools regulated in the beginning phase.

You guys are doing GREAT!! Hurray!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yay Phoebe and Charlie!! Great news!! So glad to hear of your success. After they have been on raw for awhile you will start to notice the changes it brings... less shedding, beautiful clean teeth, more muscle definition, more energy (I know! We didn't need that! LOL!), small compact stools that are nearly odorless, just blooming HEALTHY.

Once you graduate to other proteins, you can do quail or rabbits for bone. Also some pork and lamb bones are edible. Mainly the ribs. There's not much in beef bones that works for little dogs, although ox tail is great if you can find it. Personally, I use the cornish hens for bone and feed the other meaty meals as variety. Brody likes lamb breast and the bone there, but not a huge fan of other bones. Since 10% of the diet is bone, that's a very very small amount. A 5 pound dog needs between 1-2 ounces of bone a WEEK.

That's what is required in the diet, although some dogs require and need more than the 10% bone for firm stools. If you see sloppy stools, increase the bone. If you see crumbly whitish stools and straining while pooping, add more meat. Just a case of knowing your dog. At this stage, you want to err on the side of more bone to get and keep stools regulated in the beginning phase.

You guys are doing GREAT!! Hurray!

Thank you Brody'smum for your help so far.
1-2 ounce of bone a week was exactly what I needed to know. I have trouble working out percentages lol. I think I might have been giving them both more than that up to yet.
Can the bone be given in one go or is it best to give a tiny bit per day?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts