Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel horrible....as I opened the oven door today checking on the turkey cooking, Dazy came up behind me and before I could even try to grab her she put her paws up on top of the hot oven door...I screamed as she fell backwards across the kitchen floor and she yelped so loud....I quickly grabbed her up and put both her paws under the kitchen faucet with cold water running on them for a long time. I kept a cool compress on them for awhile and she seemed to calm down a bit. She seems to be ok now, but her little right paw has a couple of small blisters (very small) and she did lick them for awhile, but has now stopped and seems to be ok.
Any suggestions of anything to put on them, although she will lick at them for sure, or should I just leave them be?
My poor little girl....She did get a few bites of turkey which I know made her feel much better:)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
OMG!! Poor Dazy!! Seems like you acted quick and did the right thing by running paw under cold water. The only thing I could find is you could give her something for pain if she's acting uncomfortable, but no creams, lotions, ice, etc is recommended--not even a sterile gauze because it cuts of air. Just keep an eye on her paw for infection. You might have to take her to vet for antibiotics or something. I totally understand how easy something like this can happen. I usually have my 5-year twins in the kitchen and Midgie so I've gotten into the habit of saying "Get back, I'm opening the oven--HOT!!" Do you have a first aid kit? I have several around my house and I remember seeing something in the kit for burns. You might check to see if it would help but you have to consider she might lick it, so make sure it's not harmful.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG!! Poor Dazy!! Seems like you acted quick and did the right thing by running paw under cold water. The only thing I could find is you could give her something for pain if she's acting uncomfortable, but no creams, lotions, ice, etc is recommended--not even a sterile gauze because it cuts of air. Just keep an eye on her paw for infection. You might have to take her to vet for antibiotics or something. I totally understand how easy something like this can happen. I usually have my 5-year twins in the kitchen and Midgie so I've gotten into the habit of saying "Get back, I'm opening the oven--HOT!!" Do you have a first aid kit? I have several around my house and I remember seeing something in the kit for burns. You might check to see if it would help but you have to consider she might lick it, so make sure it's not harmful.[/QUOTE

My husband is going to put up a small gate at the kitchen door. She and Lulubelle lately have been hanging out with me too much in the kitchen...I have almost tripped over them!
She seems ok, but her little pads have two blisters:( I'll keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Aww Poor Dazy :( Silly puppies loving the turkey ... I hope she will be ok

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I hope she is ok. I always have the same fear my dogs will do something like that.
I always make my hubby call them or hold them off.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope she is ok. I always have the same fear my dogs will do something like that.
I always make my hubby call them or hold them off.

I have thought about this before too and why I was not thinking today...I was so busy in the kitchen and she just caught me off-guard....never will do that again..:(

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor little sweetie. I hope her little paws are better soon. x

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oh, poor baby! I hope she is OK. Lavender will stand between me and the sink or the stove or wherever I am in the kitchen and it worries me to death. I make her move, but sometimes don't notice her. Anything I drop, hot or cold, whatever, would hit her. I need to teach her not to do that for sure!

Jeanette

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm so paranoid of this happening. Every time I open the oven door I tell the pups to get out of the kitchen just in case. I'm sorry that happened to your sweet heart. I'm sure in a couple days her paws will be as good as new!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I feel horrible....as I opened the oven door today checking on the turkey cooking, Dazy came up behind me and before I could even try to grab her she put her paws up on top of the hot oven door...I screamed as she fell backwards across the kitchen floor and she yelped so loud....I quickly grabbed her up and put both her paws under the kitchen faucet with cold water running on them for a long time. I kept a cool compress on them for awhile and she seemed to calm down a bit. She seems to be ok now, but her little right paw has a couple of small blisters (very small) and she did lick them for awhile, but has now stopped and seems to be ok.
Any suggestions of anything to put on them, although she will lick at them for sure, or should I just leave them be?
My poor little girl....She did get a few bites of turkey which I know made her feel much better:)
aww poor dazy you could go to a pet shop and buy some cream that might help? hope she feels better or maybe take her to your vet and see if they can give you something a bit better than a petshop could off, well done on fast acting though :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
OMG you must have been in a right state, but at least she is okay,

Dunno about what to put on but what about E45 cream, it could help sooth the area or phone the vet for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh poor little Dazy...the turkey smelled so good, she wanted to look. Hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you. I have to put Ziva away when I'm opening the oven, she's jumped on top of the door before (luckily it was just warming up). You can put some aloe vera gel on the paws to help them heal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Awww poor Dazy. She wanted to see what that wonderful aroma was. You acted quickly and are watching her little feet, so I'm sure she'll be back to normal in no time. :) I'm constantly sending mine out of the kitchen. We have a large archway and no gate large enough to block ours off. I've burnt myself good with the oven due to my daughter or the dogs running in behind me.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I checked her paws this morning and she has 4 blisters, not 2:( One is a little puffy looking so I am going to keep a close eye on it. I thought about aloe vera, but she would lick it and so I might call the vets to see if there is someting I can use that would not make her sick if she licks.
So upsetting as I am always so careful about where they are, what they are doing etc...and then this had to happen. I use the oven a lot as I like to make homemade bread and as of today the gate is up and no puppies in the kitchen...no more!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody had a couple of little blisters on his foot after walking on hot asphalt over the summer. Dumb me, I didn't even think of that when we went for a walk and then he started limping! Poor baby!! So I know how bad you feel.

His healed up just fine with nothing put on them. You could put a cool washcloth on them if you want, but I wouldn't use any creams or ointments on a burn. Just keep it clean and dry and it will heal on its own. If it develops a deep fluid filled blister or she has problems walking - then I'd consult your vet. Otherwise - I think her body will heal on its own.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brody had a couple of little blisters on his foot after walking on hot asphalt over the summer. Dumb me, I didn't even think of that when we went for a walk and then he started limping! Poor baby!! So I know how bad you feel.

His healed up just fine with nothing put on them. You could put a cool washcloth on them if you want, but I wouldn't use any creams or ointments on a burn. Just keep it clean and dry and it will heal on its own. If it develops a deep fluid filled blister or she has problems walking - then I'd consult your vet. Otherwise - I think her body will heal on its own.

Thanks Tracy..
I'll make sure to keep a close watch on it. The one blister is puffy , but not sure how deep it is...She seems to walk ok, but I do notice she is staying in her bed more...not running zoomies like she usually does in the morning:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts