Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She started acting strange yesterday...like something was making her real nervous and jumpy. This morning I fed her and I noticed her burping up a lot which she normally does not do. But she ate good and she ate good at dinner time too. She is a dainty chewer sometimes..almost like if she might have a tooth that hurts, but has never shown any other signs of mouth pain.
She has been restless all day, very jumpy, barking like she hears noises , but there is nothing that I can see or hear at all. Tonight she is sitting at the foot of my husbands recliner just constantly staring at him. Not normally laying down and sleeping like she usually does, but just sitting up and staring.
She has been licking her mouth a bit today too, and so I tryed to check her teeth for a bad tooth but she will not let me...then I tryed to take her temp. and she just went crazy! she tryed to bite me 3 times so I just stopped and held her and calmed her down...poor baby. I'm wondering if it might be her anal glands...she has to have them cleaned every few weeks as they fill quickly. And I'm thinking that she is having pain and a possible inflammation of the area? She just seems uncomfortable and really out of sorts. I'm making an appointment in the morning for the vets. This little girl never gets sick, but my guess is that it could be the anal glands or maybe a bad tooth?
So will see what happens tommorrow....:confused:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Maybe its the full moon?? JK... but I do hope she feels more herself tomorrow. Maybe a nice long walk would get some of the nervous energy out, or maybe something happened that just spooked her and she will get over it.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I hope she feels better soon. I think she feels pain somewhere or she wouldn't tray to bit you. Let as know what the vet says.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Midgie was doing the same thing the other day. She did this for about 3 days, barking, watching, running around. I work on the computer a lot and my eyes get tired and something in the doorway leading downstairs kept catching my eye. Thought it was my eyes. Kinda looked like white smoke. I do believe in the supernatural, but didn't think anything of this, just my eyes. My hubby gets up one morning and ask me if I've noticed strange things happening around the house. I said why. He went to make coffee like he always does and when he went back into the kitchen to get a cup, the machine was unplugged, plus other little things like that.
His mother passed away last year around this time and there's this cute Christmas commercial that the news puts on every year. She always loved this commercial. Stuff started happening the first time this commercial came on this year and little things still are. Haha.
Dogs are sensitive to things we can't see and feel. Just watch her and let her know it's o.k.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I hope the vet gets her sorted. Lip licking is a sign of pain and/or anxiety. :(

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope the vet gets her sorted. Lip licking is a sign of pain and/or anxiety. :(
Thats what I suspected last night ..maybe pain or something making her very nervous. She is a very nervous girl...everything scares her... trash bags, when I drop the littlest thing on the floor, my eyeglasses sitting on the table, the blinds moving around from the wind...etc.. she is very jumpy...has been since we first got her at 3 months. I think the lady I got her from had scared her at an early age. She yelled a lot at the dogs and I remember that I told my husband I thought she might be abusive. After we had gotten Dazy home, I called the humane society and reported her. Found out later she not only was breeding chihuahua's, but had miniature ponies that she was not taking very good care of.
Anyway...will see what the vet says today ...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from the vets....Her anal glands are giving her problems:(
The area is a tiny bit swollen, so they did their thing cleaning them and vet put her on some antibiotics. She gets them cleaned out at the groomers monthly, but I am going to start taking her to the vets to get it done...they do a better job and it is done internal instead of external. Have to take her back after the meds. for a re-check. Doctor said if she continues with problems, she may need surgery:( Oh poor baby...I sure hope she does not have to have that surgery.
The vet also mentioned that some of her nervous reaction the last couple of days may be due also the the heavy wind we are having right now. It is spooking her and it made sense because of the barking and being jumpy and looking all around everywhere.
Today she seems calmer..except when the vet started messing with her rear end! LOL!!!
Thanks all for your good thoughts for Dazy girl:)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
It's good that you now know what is bothering her. Poor Dazy; she must have been
miserable. Jerry has had this problem a time or two. It totally changes his behavior.
Hope she is all better very soon! :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am glad you guys figured out what it was. How do they do the glands internally?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts