Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I was just wondering about this because it's coming time for Roxy and Billa to be fixed soon. Is there a grace period so to speak for getting this done before they go into heat for the first time? When is best?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would have both done at the age of 6 months. Any later and you risk them going into heat. 6 months seems pretty standard.

·
Registered
852 Posts
They can go into heat earlier but usually 6 months is the time. Kiki went to heat early so we got caught out and ended up having to wait a few months for everything to settle down before she could be spayed.

I don't think its made too much of a difference but I wouldn't delay and try and catch them before the first heat!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We can't tell you til you post new pictures :p
I agree!! ;) I LOVE your pups...they're some of my fav on the board & I miss seeing pics of them! Especially since I'm sure they've grown right up since the last time you posted pics. So share share share! :D

I agree though...I'd have them done at 6mo. Some pups go into heat before then but usually 6mo is pretty safe.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I waited until Jadzia was 7 months, I wanted her to grow a little more before and it was before her first heat.

My neice had her little Pixie spayed close to the 6 month mark and she has regretted it because Pixie had a recessed vulva and having her first heat or second heat most probably would have given her time to mature physically and corrected the problem. Now my neice has to be watchful of bladder infections and skin irritations.
I'll be waiting and watching my little Kira before we make a date to get her spayed because she also has a slight recess and I want to give her a chance to develop and hopefully avoid any problems.
A recessed vulva is not always a problem but in Pixie's case it is.

Most have no problem at 6 months though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When that sun comes out again I'll get some new good ones of the girls, it's been forever. My own kids too for that matter!

Okay so any day now I should be getting Roxy in. Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts