Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased Tico on July 1st, so have had him 18 days now...

When I picked him up, I got a hand written receipt and told his AKC registration info would be submitted via the internet and I would be sent a link to finish it out.

On July 7th I hadn't heard anything, so e-mailed the breeder and asked when I could expect the info. She replied by asking for my full name/mailing info and puppy's name I'd given him.

I've since e-mailed & called on the 10th and 15th with no response.

Am I being un-reasonable in expecting to already have this info?

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, also... prior to picking him up, she listed him as being 5.5 to 6 lbs when he's fully grown. He's just now 4 months, and is weighing just under 5lbs!
Not to sound like I'm complaining about him - because I just love him and think he's beautiful, but kinda feel like I was mis-informed/mis-lead by the breeder for the price we agreed upon for him.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i know what your going threw b/c the SAME THING happend to me
reading your post i don't think your chi is AKC.
the breeder i got jamoka from told me he was AKC and me these hand writtten papers about his parents and the AKC numbers gave me didn't start with the right letters/numbers. after finding this out i'd call her everyday and she's never answer. she agreed to a payment paln. so i paid her with one check and she still had another , so after me asking all these qestions she coulnd't answer. she never cashed the 2nd check .it was b/c she knew that i knew he wasn't AKC. But i will always say it doesn't matter that he's not AKC cuz i LOVE him just the same as if he were! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I got my second chihuahua, it took about 3 or 4 weeks to get the AKC. I wouldn't worry yet. The breeder has to send in the paperwork to AKC and then AKC sends it back to you, so it can take a little while. I definately think this breeder may have mislead you about the weight issue though, bc if he is only 4 mos and just under 5 pds and you just recieved him from her a couple weeks ago, they should have definately known he would be bigger than 6 pounds. But that really doesn't matter, just more chi to love :wink:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Standard practice is that the breeder has to register the entire litter and will then recieve "transfer" papers for each pup in the litter with the parents registration information, kennel info etc. When you pickup the pup the breeder will complete a portion of the registration, and note whether they require the kennel/breeder name to be used in the registered name, coat color etc and give you the papers to complete. Not everyone chooses to register a pup even if they have the papers. Plus, there are different registration packages you can choose to select from and vary in price range. I have never heard of a breeder doing the actual first time transfer of a pup (breeder to first owner) since that money would be coming out of their own pocket and they would have to know what the owner wished to name the pup, spelling etc.

Im sorry to say but its highly likely that this pup is not AKC. If you know the registered name of the parents you could potentially contact AKC to see if the litter was registered but without a written contract you don't really have a leg to stand on.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
sounds like you've been set-up ...like so many chi-owners these days :? that's why it's important to find respectable breeders ...and they are an almost distinct (sp ?) kind :evil:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have to agree I doubt if your baby has AKC registration papers since you should have received his puppy papers when you got him so that you could fill them out with the name you picked and what package you wanted, etc.

I'm developing a really bad attitude about crooked lying breeders ripping people off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ugh I can totally relate to the weight issue. I purchased Fauxi and was told she should be an est. 3lbs fully grown (both parents are under 4lbs) I just took her to the vet yesterday the 18th (I got her on the 14th) and is already 2.2 lbs at 10weeks!! NO WAY she is going to be 3lbs the breeder knew better!!!! Shame Shame!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry to say, I tend to agree with Lori and Tinker. You should have received the AKC papers when you picked up your puppy, with the breeder info completed by the breeder.

Her not replying to your last 2 e-mails and calls is not a good sign, and the fact that she gave you only a handwritten receipt instead of a valid contract or purchase agreement only makes it sound more suspicious.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
the good part is that she came out on top because SHE got the chi and the chi got a good home ! :thumbleft: to me that's all that matters! i too was lied to so i know how you feel.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still haven't heard back from the breeder so just sent her this e-mail:
Jennifer
As I haven't yet gotten the AKC registration information from you, I am beginning to worry about my puppy validity. If I do not receive the information to register him on-line AND a formal Bill of Sale (which your husband verbally told me would be mailed to me when you returned from the 4th of July weekend) by July 29, 2005, I will be filing a small claims court claim against you for mis-representing what you are selling.
In addition to not yet receiving the Bill or Sale and AKC papers, both my vet and dog trainer have commented that there is no way this puppy will remain at 5 pounds as you stated. Since his weight at 4 months is already over 4 pounds.
Prior to the purchase, I agreed to purchase a 5 pound (at adult weight) registered chihuahua. Both of these I fully believe are not true.
Melinda
We'll see what comes of it. :crybaby:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Wow so many members having problems with the breeders. :(

I think that is a good e-mail, very direct. :wink:

Before you got Tico I stated I thought he would be a bigger chihuahua. From the pictures, he looked to be bigger. Not a big dog but a big chihuahua. :wink: I think he is adorable no matter what. I was too mislead by a breeder. I was told Mr. Peepers would be 5 pounds and he is now 12 pounds and probably not even a purebred.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
goldie said:
oh, also... prior to picking him up, she listed him as being 5.5 to 6 lbs when he's fully grown. He's just now 4 months, and is weighing just under 5lbs!
Not to sound like I'm complaining about him - because I just love him and think he's beautiful, but kinda feel like I was mis-informed/mis-lead by the breeder for the price we agreed upon for him.
well the breeder told you that because the average weight (and the AKC standard for showing) says they should only be 6 pounds.. but no breeder can really be to sure. Did you see his parents?? Usually they will grow to about the same size as there parent.. hope i could help

Roie

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hello!
Let me start with the weight. You can`t be completely sure how much an adult dog will weigh, but reputable judge told me once that you should weigh a 12 week old puppy and double the number. That`s how much the dog will be when fully grown up.
I`m not sure about the rules in US, but in Europe we register our puppies with FCI. I`m picking up my puppy next week and I will receive a pedigree (registered with FCI) on that same day. I will also receive an international passport for him, so I can travel anywhere within EU (and some of other countries around the world). Basically, before purchasing a dog, one must do the homework. That includes, researching the breed and it`s needs, characteristics and also find a good breeder. In my case I called an official Chihuahua club that gave me addresses of all breeders registered with FCI (in your case AKC). Only then you will know what you`re getting.....

Nevertheless have fun with your little one!! :wave:

·
Registered
86 Posts
You could also turn this breeder in to the AKC if she has any dogs registered with them and they will pull her akc registrations and will prevent her from registrating another dog again. If you change your mind about this guy I will be haveing some pups, that will be ready to go home in October, my female should be haveing her pups at the end of next month, and they will be registered with the AKC and all papers will be with the puppy when he or she goes to their new home.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I totally would keep my puppy... and love him at whatever size he gows to... It's more the fact that she sold him on being AKC and 5lbs and he probably will not be either of these.
She also mentioned prior, that their puppies that will not confirm to the chihuahua standard (in features or size) are half price and sold without AKC papers. Because we discussed him being AKC, 5lbs and full price, I was confidant she would follow thru on the paperwork.
I don't think I fell into this because of not being informed prior to purchasing him. But trusted the breeder in saying his registration info (to be competed by me on-line) would be e-mailed to be after my check was cashed. Looking back, I think paying half when picking him up and the other half when the registrration was completed would have been safer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:angry5: I am so sorry for your loss. I can relate. Boy, that really upsets me. I am not a licensed breeder and the reason I breed my dogs is because of what has happened to you. There are so many people out there that want a little Chihuahua but can't afford the breeders prices. I screen all inquiries and I let them know that I have the right to refuse a sale. My pups have gone to wonderful and grateful owners. I do not lie about their size. I have a registered pair and a non registered female that I breed. I tell people the pups will be 5 pounds or less because all three of my breeders are 5 pounds and 4 pounds. You can tell when the puppy is born how big it might be and when they reach two months, they shouldn't weigh so much. The stud that I used for my current litter was only 4 pounds and these puppies are only about 4 inches long at 2 days old and very petite in body. My previous litters have been about 6 inches long and very stocky in body, those pups ended up being 2 1/2 to 3 pounds at 6 months old and very small bodied, about half the size of their mother. Again, my sincere thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
From the AKC website:
Can you tell me if you have received complaints against a breeder or pet shop?

If you have any questions about a local breeder or pet shop, it may be advisable for you to contact the Better Business Bureau to determine if they have received complaints against a breeder or firm.

For reasons of fairness, we would not be able to tell you if we had received a complaint about a particular breeder or firm. Some complaints that are received cannot be substantiated and it would be improper to give out information until the conclusion of an inquiry. If an inquiry leads to a suspension, this information is published in our monthly magazine.

On the AKC website, you can also contact them (under the contact link) about breeders, etc. You might want to check and see if she is, in fact, an AKC breeder.

Good luck!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update...
Cooper said:
On the AKC website, you can also contact them (under the contact link) about breeders, etc. You might want to check and see if she is, in fact, an AKC breeder.
I actually tried this a couple weeks ago. I sent an e-mail to the contact who recommends chi breeders outlining my situation, and never got an answer back.
Cooper said:
From the AKC website:
If you have any questions about a local breeder or pet shop, it may be advisable for you to contact the Better Business Bureau to determine if they have received complaints against a breeder or firm....
Earlier this week, I filled out a BBB complaint. The BBB and the State of Oregon did not have them listed as a business (which leads me to believe they don't claim any of their doggy earnings) though.

As of yet, I've not heard a word from the breeder - so I will fill out the small claims paperwork tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts