Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due to collect my reserved pup in September and recently had a phone call from the breeder to say the one I had requested had unfortunately died (He had been squashed by the mother and suffered epilepsy before passing away)

I have been offered another pup, but I am a bit concerned and just wanted some advice. Having spoken to a vet friend she said it highly unlikely the pup would be killed at 4-5 weeks from being squashed. The breeder seemed genuinely upset on speaking to her but I just wondered whether anyone else had suffered anything similar or thinks this seems a bit 'dodgy'

Any help would be great

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
squashed seems a bit odd to me too ,but it's possible it was suffocating from lying under the mother ...and got the epileptic attack from that :?

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Her motherly instinct might have kicked in and she may have intentionally killed the pup if she thought it was sick or had epilepsy. By "squashed," we all tend to think of stepping on something - she may have just sat on it and, like Nat said, suffocated it.

Do you trust the breeder? Have you met her face to face yet? I would go with instinct on this one - but it seems like what happened to the pup was an accident. You might request a health certificate from the breeder before getting another pup if it will set your mind at ease. If she's reputable and genuine, she probably won't mind the request... and maybe even understand why you would request it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
LovelyChiPupz said:
why would the mother suffocate her own child? :cry:
In the wild, if the baby is sickly or has a defect of some kind, the mother will leave it to die. She won't go to any lengths to feed it, clean it, etc... but if it comes to her, she will care for it. Most times, unfortunately, they die or get eaten by a predator.

It's the same concept in domesticated animals but they have evolved over time and will actually kill the baby because we try to keep them alive, which goes against everything they know instinctively.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
that's odd as i have never seen one actually kill the baby, rejecting it and pushing it out to leave it to die yes, but actually killing it, no i haven't seen that.

to me in this situation there are too many loose ends so to speak. it all depends on how comfortable you are with the breeder and how trustworthy they are.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
but on the other hand due to the big demand of chihuahuas at the moment, being offered a better price is very hot. I have even seen a breeder do that! He had a woman going for 9weeks telling her the pup was ok (even sent her photos) only to realise he could get a better price for the pup!
Its so cruel to tag people along like that!
Im not saying this is what happened but there could be a slight possability.
:wave:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It is true that the Dam may sometimes intentionaly kill the pup if it has some kind of defect. altho at 5 weeks i believe the pup would be able to wriggle out from being squashed. Her explanation does seem a bit strange how would she know if the puppy was squashed unless she was there to see it?
What age are you supposed to be picking up the puppy? Id recommend not taking it before 12 weeks, i know some breeders will let them go earlier. And make sure the puppy is insured right away, some insurance comapanies will offer a month or so free for new puppies.
There is something strange about her explanation, what has your vet friend said about the fit the puppy had?. My mother once had a litter of kittens who nearly all died, they were often fiting, i cant remember what was wrong in the end.
Your just going to have to trust your instincts, have you googled the breeders phone number and email adress, you can sometimes find previous adverts or sometimes even posts about them.
mia
x

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chihuahua pup who died

Thanks for all you comments they were really helpful.
I contacted her again yesterday for some more info. She maintains the pup was sat on by the mother at 4 weeks (not 5)(Which she believes to be intentional. The pup was apparently the smallest and having extra bottle feeds to try and build him. She thinks the mother may have intentionally sat on it - like someone else commented on trying to eliminate the weak from the litter)
He was improving and then the next day the mother sat on it again pinning it down with her arm. After this it suffered epilepsy and did not recover.

Although I have not met her face to face, I have spoken via phone and email many times and asked so many probing questions re: Hernias, Health questions, no of litters she breeds etc. I have photos of the pups, mom and dad and will be able to see mom, dad and some older kids then I go down. I think I do trust her, you will never know for certain ... Its just scary in case something goes wrong!!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks coopers mum for explaining that to me you are very clever! That is very sad though for the mother to do such a thing!

The woman may have known because she came in and seeing the mother lying on the pup but then it was too late and having a fit!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts