Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, should I de-bump Bryco's topline, before his first show? The instructor @ our conformation class says I should (e.g. she will do it for me), she has professionally groomed and handled dogs for show for half as long as she's been alive, so I think she must know what she's talking about, but she says she hasn't done as much w/ toy breeds, they are usually owner handled. He has one bump of fur, clearly not structural, but should we take care of it before the show? I've tried grooming it such that its less noticeable...no dice.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I wouldn't I know it's what u guys do on adults but his coat is growing I'd wait till his coat comes through as you'll always be trimming it and it won't grow

When's the show, how's the nerves??

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Personally I wouldnt - Maisie had a "bump" of hair on her back, we just groomed it as best we could (to both sides rather than back normally, it made it look less obvious). Remember the judge will feel if its a conformational fault, if its just a little bit of hair that doesnt lie right they dont tend to mind!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
No Kristi I wouldn't touch his coat besides makeing hairs(ears and pants) even and paws but not his real coat. do all your trimming a wk before so if something needs to grow back a bit it can.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If it involves cutting of only tiny bits of hair, then I would go for it, especially if you have someone already who knows how to do it. It might make a difference when the judge is placing the dogs.
When is his first show?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His first show is Oct 1st & 2nd, then another the 15th & 16th of Oct. Then one mid November and then a break till February, at least thats the plan so far, but he's entered in the ones I mentioned, just not anymore and was thinking take a break til there are some closer shows in winter and give him a bit of time to mature :D

I'll take some new pics to show you guys the bump. The instructor said you basically strip the undercoat out to help it lay flat...makes me nervous though!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
since he is in puppy class it won't matter because it is a coat issue not his topline. the judge will look from a view and then will go over his body and will feel it is just coat. now if he was entered open then yes you would use thinning scissors. And yea I was told the same on bites they only glance and move on with a pup. Glad judges know these guys go through so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts