Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Continental Kennel Club? They are a irreputable registry. They will register a cow if you want.

Oh, and really no such thing as a deer head. It's a pretty common term though to describe a head that is not within the standard for the breed.

A deer head should not be bred. It does not meet the standard. If you aren't going to breed, you don't need to register. CKC papers really don't mean much anyway though since the registry is corrupt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Just trying to figure out what shape my puppy's head is. Dad's is more apple, Mom more deer. Last time I had dogs CKC was not in existence, so I know nothing about it. Since Juliet is just a pet, it doesn't matter. I am just trying to figure out her head type. I will try to figure out how to post a pic to y'all can tell me. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It is hard to tell. From this view, her skull looks domed. Can you get one at this angle that has her nose more straight rather than down?

You will be looking for a very sharp 90 degree angle from nose up to forehead. Mine actually "dimple" in where their snout meets their head if that makes sense.

Looks like this:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try to get another picture. It's like trying to herd kitty cats. I have read the standard but I have a hard time translating that from words to what I am looking at.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
She looks like my Kahlua... an apple domed head but with a longer muzzle. Typically longer muzzles are seen in deer-heads; but not always.

I think they're the cutest type actually; LOL; I love the foxy little look. Though no, technically a longer muzzle is not "to standard." But, she still is an applehead IMO.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sometimes they will have the "apple" head but have a longer muzzle too. There are lots of variations especially among pet quality chis. I don't mean any criticism - neither of mine meet the standard but I am not breeding them so I don't mind.

My female came from a breeding much as you describe, with one parent having a standard domed head and a short muzzle and the other parent having a longer muzzle and less domed head. She looks something in between much like your girl.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, can't get another pic tonight. The only stinking thing I got in the divorce (besides the kids which really is the major thing) is a camera that I can't work. UGH. Will try again later but it looks like the angle is obtuse (say 120 deg) rather than 90. Oh well, she is demanding her food, so time to make the donuts. Thanks all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
She's an apple. Applehead is actually the dominant trait. My Ginger is a deer head and Susu is an applehead .. all 3 pups are appleheads. Anyway.. you have an applehead cutie there. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Michelle. I thought so but when I googled pics some that I thought for sure were apple were not and vice versa so I essentially was losing what was left of my mind. Oh goodness, as I'm typing, Juliet just galloped over to the potty pad and tinkled all by herself. Good girl!!!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts