Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is going to hunt a deer for us. When it's processed, I told him that alot of the scraps that aren't normally kept, I want it for my dogs! So what I need to know is: what are the parts that I can't feed my dogs? I know that even the antlers can be kept to gnaw on right? What about organs and bones? Brain? Just tell me what parts we can't use for the dogs (aren't weight bearing bones bad?). Everything else I'm keeping for myself or my boys!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Parts I wouldn't feed .... spinal cord, bladder, intestines.

Anything else - good to go! Not sure a processing plant will do a brain, but they might. Chronic wasting disease affects some deer and can be transmitted through brain tissue, however it does NOT affect dogs. So no worries there.

I would definitely get heart, liver, and kidneys. Pancreas and thymus if you can get it. Lungs are great. Definitely get the tongue if they will give it to you. Any scrap meats are excellent. I wouldn't do weight bearing bones like legs, but some chi's can do the smaller ribs if you can get those.

Yes and antlers are great chews! LUCKY LUCKY YOU! :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was hoping you'd see this post. I figured you'd know.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't hunt at all! I can't kill stuff. I don't mind eating it, but I don't want any information about how it died.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Parts I wouldn't feed .... spinal cord, bladder, intestines.

Anything else - good to go! Not sure a processing plant will do a brain, but they might. Chronic wasting disease affects some deer and can be transmitted through brain tissue, however it does NOT affect dogs. So no worries there.

I would definitely get heart, liver, and kidneys. Pancreas and thymus if you can get it. Lungs are great. Definitely get the tongue if they will give it to you. Any scrap meats are excellent. I wouldn't do weight bearing bones like legs, but some chi's can do the smaller ribs if you can get those.

Yes and antlers are great chews! LUCKY LUCKY YOU! :)
Never thought to ask for the tongue, lungs, pancreas or thymus!!! :foxes15:Darn, I do have 3 deer in the freezer now--all for the dog's :Das we don't eat venison:( (even though we should--it is a VERY healthy meat!:))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts