Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dehydrated/spay day *Update*

Alright I just dropped Bijoux at the clinic to be spayed and I have to admit I am having second thoughts about this. I know it's for her better to be spayed being the colour she is, plus with a male (fixed) dog in the house it's just good sense...but still I am having second thoughts. My brain say's duh get her done, my heart says "your putting your little girl through surgery!" She is staying over night at the clinic I pick her up at 7:30 am, I left her with her blankie and toy but I'm still tense..I was told to call around 1 for an update.

Next, it was confirmed that Bijoux isn't drinking enough. I'm assuming that with the water she's getting from raw she just doesn't feel like she has to drink at all.

Anyone have any hints for stimulating her to drink? Dr said if she keeps it up her kidneys are going to feel it down the road.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Add water to the raw. I forget, are you feeding prey model? Or something like Ziwi? I always add water to Brody's meals, even if he's getting a chunk of chicken or beef. I just add a couple tablespoons of warm water to it.

You could do low sodium broth diluted with a little water a couple times a day as a treat.

Or even a teaspoon of high quality canned food, and add water to it so that it's really watery and let her have that.

I RARELY see Brody go to the water bowl and drink. So I make sure he is getting lots of liquid with his meals.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Add water to the raw. I forget, are you feeding prey model? Or something like Ziwi? I always add water to Brody's meals, even if he's getting a chunk of chicken or beef. I just add a couple tablespoons of warm water to it.

You could do low sodium broth diluted with a little water a couple times a day as a treat.

Or even a teaspoon of high quality canned food, and add water to it so that it's really watery and let her have that.

I RARELY see Brody go to the water bowl and drink. So I make sure he is getting lots of liquid with his meals.
Hmm that's a great idea Maybe I'll buy a can of wellness and give a bit once a day..hmmmm...

I'm currently feeding prey model so this could be a great idea

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
None of mine drink much from their water dish, either. Unless they have been running and chasing each other. Our boy did so it is different for me.

I give them water over their ZP at each meal.

Let us know how she does today!! Eden's day is tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone,

So I just got off the phone with the dr. Bijoux is scared, shaking a bit but recovering well when I called she had just come out of surgery and the dr was still with her.

I am picking her up tomorrow morning at 9.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Good to hear she got through the surgery so well. The shaking could also be the result of the anesthesia and the fact they keep the surgery room so cold. They will make sure she warms up ok. This first day she will mostly sleep, so I don't think she will be too stressed. All mine spend the night, that way they will have peed, pood and eaten something before they get home. Though I usually, in the parking lot, let mine down to pee when I picked them up. I have good dogs that wont pee in their crates and I swear a few of them held it the whole 28 hours they were gone. :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad she's doing well! I bet you miss her so much!!

You have noooooo idea! I bought her three outfits today and they are sitting in my backpack with me all day. I so badly want to go and take her home tonight, it's too tempting.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
What vet do you go to? Why'd they keep her over night? If you drive you should go out to Beattie animal hospital in brantford it's literally 1/2 the price of any other vet and I picked prada up the same day they're really good vets and open 24 hrs they also have a dentist and a groomer and a pet store it's HUGE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts