Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a food dehydrator to make chicken jerky for their chis? I want to make my own and was wondering if anyone has any experience making dehydrated treats? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi Susan, I make Draco chicken jerky in the oven because I don't own a dehydrator...he loves it. I use the bonless chicken breast and slice it very thin while frozen...it shrinks up a lot but he loves it. I store mine in the fridge but it is dried and would be fine at room temp. Max and Dot will LOVE it.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Hey Susan and Debra! Sounds like Draco gets very special treats. Maybe we
should send our Chi Kids over to his house :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have used my dehydrator to make some liver treats, I need to do some more experimenting to get the time and everything right by the boys like the mistakes just as well. I would love to hear if anyone has any tips or suggestions as well. Hoping to eventually make all my boys treats.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - I've read that drying in the oven works just as well as a dehydration machine. I went ahead and purchased a machine but I think I'll take it back and use my oven.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Susan, we have had great luck with using the oven...you can find loads of recipes on the internet. You can also make large batches. We bought some wire racks at walmart for the oven and make large amounts. We fit 6 racks in our oven and cook it overnight. We eat it too. The beef jerky is awesome as well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Susan, we have had great luck with using the oven...you can find loads of recipes on the internet. You can also make large batches. We bought some wire racks at walmart for the oven and make large amounts. We fit 6 racks in our oven and cook it overnight. We eat it too. The beef jerky is awesome as well.
Would you be kind enough to share the chicken recipe you use? :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't use any seasoning on it...just slice it very thin and lay it out on the racks, not touching, bake at 100 to 125 degrees overnight. You can experiment with time to get a softer chewier jerky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts