Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, the dogs were in the backyard as I was picking up poo. I came in to toss the bag and suddenly my son burst in the front door saying Delilah had dug under the fence and got out. He immediately got her back into the back yard so she's fine, but how do I discourage her from digging out? This is how she got out at the previous house and got attacked by a big dog and had her pelvis broken. A few of the other dogs rushed over to where she got out this morning and looked to be intent to try to make the hole bigger. This is quite frightening to me. I am going to Lowes to try to get a 4x4 to dig into the ground at that spot, but I have a lot of fence (I live on a corner) and need a way to try to discourage her from trying somewhere else.

·
Registered
150 Posts
While it won't minamize the work, this idea might minamize the price. At lowes or home depot the sell this black mesh that's pretty durable. We use it since the fence we have is too wide spaced and salem can squeeze right through. I'd imagine if you dig down and in towards your yard and lay the mesh up the fence and along the ground a ways in toward your yard it would discourage them. You may have to find a way to anchor it but we use zip ties (it's a metal fence) but a few staples should work too. It's pretty heavy duty too unless you have crazy quick chewers it should deter them enough. The holes are small enough too that they aren't going to get their head Stuck and I'd imagine aside from the super tiny guys paws won't either.

Just a cheaper idea for you :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I honestly think the only way to stop diggers from escaping under a fence is to bury the fence deeper so that it continues 12 inches or so underground. What an annoying problem! Naughty Delilah!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
This is going to sounds nuts, but I know it exists -You can get them in 6-12-and maybe even 18 inches and it's basically a runner that you shove down into the ground at the base of the fence so if she digs she's gonna be going at it for a good bit before she makes it 12 inches down and under.

I believe they're for gardens but they come in a roll just like hosing but it's flat so you can shove it into the ground.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While it won't minamize the work, this idea might minamize the price. At lowes or home depot the sell this black mesh that's pretty durable. We use it since the fence we have is too wide spaced and salem can squeeze right through. I'd imagine if you dig down and in towards your yard and lay the mesh up the fence and along the ground a ways in toward your yard it would discourage them. You may have to find a way to anchor it but we use zip ties (it's a metal fence) but a few staples should work too. It's pretty heavy duty too unless you have crazy quick chewers it should deter them enough. The holes are small enough too that they aren't going to get their head Stuck and I'd imagine aside from the super tiny guys paws won't either.

Just a cheaper idea for you :)
Yeah, I may have to go this route. When a previous pit bull of mine was young, he would eat through the fence. We ended up having to put cattle wire on the inside of the fence to keep him in. So, if I find something and put it below the fence and toward the yard, it should stop it. She has the tiniest feet, I'm going to have to find something with itty-bitty holes in it so they don't get caught. Of course I have a huge yard, it's really going to be a project.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is going to sounds nuts, but I know it exists -You can get them in 6-12-and maybe even 18 inches and it's basically a runner that you shove down into the ground at the base of the fence so if she digs she's gonna be going at it for a good bit before she makes it 12 inches down and under.

I believe they're for gardens but they come in a roll just like hosing but it's flat so you can shove it into the ground.
Thank you, that's a good idea. I need to now go out and measure the fences to see how much I need. *gulp*

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would get one of those retractable tie outs for her if you can't watch her. I don't like that idea much, but for very valid reasons you don't want her digging out and escaping!!

When we put our fence in we are putting it 1 foot into the ground to keep digging out or in from being an easy possibility. But its not like you can dig up and move around your whole fence!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am terrified she will teach the other dogs to try to dig out, too. For right now, she won't go out without a harness and retractable lead on. The back yard is just too big to be sure I will be able to hobble over to grab her before she can get her skinny little butt under the fence.

·
Registered
150 Posts
around here you can get away with taking small dogs ( like ones you can hold) into home depot and lowes, might try and take the pup with ya :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I was going to mention what Intuition mentioned. We have had to do this around the outdoor enclosure for Yuka to keep the predators from getting in when she is outdoors during the summer.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I am terrified she will teach the other dogs to try to dig out, too. For right now, she won't go out without a harness and retractable lead on. The back yard is just too big to be sure I will be able to hobble over to grab her before she can get her skinny little butt under the fence.
Just curious Pam, why do you have to hobble?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fell down some steps and broke my leg and ankle. The ankle never healed well even after two operations.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had a shih-poo that did this and I swear I tried everything. Bricks outlining the fence on the inside, outside, stacked up. I bought edging and pounded it in around the perimeter of the fence. She got through that too. This dog was one smart cookie. Honestly in the end, the only thing that worked was doing the invisible fence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With my husky she used to dig out all the time, my dog trainer told me to put chicken wire down in the grass and thr grass grows over it so you can't see it but when the dog starts digging they hit it and it hurts so they don't want to dig anymore. I dunno my trainer told me that. We just moved her dog run a few more feet so the whole thing was on a concrete pad

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
My friend had a Jack russell that used to do that, she got a pricey electric fence. what about filling in a border of stones around the fence so they wouldn't dig ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts