Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are so upset. We purchased a 12 week old puppy from what we thought was a reputable breeder. Her mother bred for over 24 years and now she is breeding. She has a few females and two males show are all in her home. She was adamant about not letting us have pup untl 12 weeks because of her tiny size. She fed high quality dog food, Orijen. We knew this pup had two tiny spots of mange . She said not to worry. I already knew they get it from mom and lowered immunity. She gave us shampoo and Goodwinol ointment and said it will go away as her immunity builds and not to get next round of shots before it goes away. We took her for exam and vet said she needed Ivermectin. Also faxed all the info that the breeder said she wanted from vet visit. Vet said she was a bad breeder and should not have released dog. I felt that the sooner I got the pup the better it will fair. I felt it was more stressed there with all the dogs and not getting full attention. So now five days later it seems she is scratching more and more little hairless spots. Plus where vet scrabed it's scabby. Vet said to throw away the oil and shampoo. I understand that they have insecticide in it and will only further irritate her skin so I am not using it. Does anyone have any experiece with this. I am so afraid of the Ivermectin being so strong of a med but I am giving it to her. I don't see an improvement though. we love this little one and would never give her back. We had a rescue before this with many help problems that we were constantly nursing and we hate experiencing this again and seeing this 1.8 ounce pup suffer. Please give me some reassuring news about this type of mange.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pattimay,

I have been there done that with demodectic mange and have recently adopted a chi with it from the local shelter.
Ivermectin has its good and bad sides. The goodwinol is an accepted way to treat small patches of localized mange. As young as that pup is, she just may grow out of it on her own.
The breeder is correct about waiting on vaccines until the mange is under control. A good diet and proper management of stress can usually keep the mild cases under control. You may consider spaying her as the hormonal variances can trigger outbreaks. Although, recent research is showing that maybe in mild cases as young pups, that may not matter like we thought it did. I don't know if you're considering breeding, but this *may* be a reason not to put your little one in a breeding program as heat cycles, pregnancy and lactating could possibly trigger an outbreak.

Just keep her healthy and as chemical and stress free as possible - especially right now as she has an immature immune system. Hopefully, with a little time, she will get over it on her own.

I have a young chi that I just adopted from the shelter that I knew had demodectic mange. His is pretty extensive. We are holding off on his neuter surgery and vaccines until we get a grip on it. We are treating with Advantage Multi every two weeks until I get a negative skin scraping. (His picture is posted in chihuahua pictures as Bacchus a work in progess if you wish to see how bad his is and we are thinking he has a good prognosis). I am personally not comfortable with ivermectin use, but then most of my other dogs are collie types and I get a little paranoid about ivermectin. (Although, I realize the Advantage multi is an ivermectin dervitive).

At the vet clinic, we have managed and treated some severe mange cases, some of them for years. Even the vet's personal dog has it. She's an older gal now, I think 10 or so years old. She was pretty severe as a pup and now has very infrequent flareups that most people don't notice, we're just so used to looking for it so we can catch it early for her.

Seriously, if your little one only has a couple of patches, she should be fine. THe last dog I had with this actually had swollen, cracked, bleeding paws when I found her - she ended up wih a full coat of fur and most people couldn't tell she ever had a problem.

(If it helps, I have been a vet tech since 1987, with an Associate's Degree in Animal Medical Technology).

·
Registered
123 Posts
A link you may find helpful:

Demodectic Mange

You should be able to manage this just fine. I plan on updating Bacchus' picture thread periodicaly to help encourage others working through this as well. You may want to start a photo journal of your baby so you can keep track of your progress, too. (It can be frustrating when you look at your pup daily and don't notice a difference, but if you look at pictures taken every two-four weeks, you will be pleasantly surprised at the progress you make.) You realize that this is my subtle hint to post pictures of you baby, right? ;)
Best wishes!

·
Banned
177 Posts
Sorry about your pup.

I think your vet was wrong for saying she's a bad breeder I honestly don't see she's done anything wrong. Mange can be caused by stress and moving homes would have excacerbated the pups condition. She's actually been vet thorough and responsible seeing she wanted a copy of your vets report, plus didn't let the pup leave til 12 weeks. If its 1.8lb I personally would of kept it until 2lb but that's just me.

Mange can improve by a good diet (which Origen is). It will go but it just takes time. I don't know anything about those products. I know someone else had a pup with mange and a raw diet cleared it up fast. Good luck hope the puppy improves soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts