Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Riley's vet exam, the only thing noted as being needed was a dental cleaning. She's between 1-2 years old (9 pounds) and just came to live with us at the beginning of the moth.

Lily has had her teeth cleaned but Daisy hasn't. We use the Tropiclean water additive (we have the Gel but I haven't used it yet) and give RMB's 2x per week.

I guess I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get Riley's teeth cleaned so she/we can start fresh with clean teeth or just rely on the RMB's to clean her teeth.

Opinions?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
My pomeranian had level 4 of 5 tartar buildup when I got him in March, about 6 weeks of using Petzlife Oral Gel twice a day and his teeth were down to about a level 1. I love that stuff. Haven't tried the Tropiclean. But he does eat raw, but still builds up the tartar, I think it depends on how they chew. Zoey gets a biscuit each night with the gel on it, that helps her teeth. Raw has helped some but not as much as it's helped other peoples dogs. So I use the gel on a biscuit each night, just before bed. She loves it, I use the salmon flavored gel.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'd personally try the gel for a few months and see if you can soften/loosen the tartar and brush it away. It really helps quite a lot. If it doesn't, than I'd go ahead and get the dental. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd personally try the gel for a few months and see if you can soften/loosen the tartar and brush it away. It really helps quite a lot. If it doesn't, than I'd go ahead and get the dental. :)
This is what I want to do. My Hubby wants to get them cleaned first because the vet is running a 1/2 off special for dental cleanings (normally $300 now only $150).

·
Registered
323 Posts
any small breed or any size should get their teeth clean once a year. if they dont they can get gum problems just like we dod and their teeth can start hurting where they wont eat. clean teeth yearly so they can keep a good bill of health...

SO i would say yes have her teeth clean...good luck

·
Registered
323 Posts
This is what I want to do. My Hubby wants to get them cleaned first because the vet is running a 1/2 off special for dental cleanings (normally $300 now only $150).
my vet only charges me like 90 for dental...i can believe some of these prices in other areas

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My vet only charges $100, but I don't recommend a dental cleaning unless it is really needed. It's never a good thing when they have to put these little guys under to do the cleaning. There is a lot of risk involved. I highly recommend what everyone else is saying about brushing & using the gels, & water additives. I just had to get Midgies teeth cleaned for the first time (she's 5) because I'm not diligent about brushing her teeth & I'm still not, but I promise I'm going to try a little harder. lol. I am using the water additive.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'd try the rmb's for a while & see how it does. I've heard of them cleaning up the worst of teeth. Maya's teeth were pretty icky when we brought her home in April. We did raw for a few months afterwards (we do ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen & 1 day of bone in chicken now) & her teeth are MUCH better than they were when she came home. I'd give it a month or two & see what they look like. That's JMO. :)

BTW, our dentals are up near $200+. That's why I find diet & keeping rmb's apart of my pups diet SUPER important! Paying $1800 every year or two for dentals alone would be crazy.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
A dental alone with no bloodwork, runs around $250 at our vet. Her advice? RMB's. She recommends them to all her doggie patients.

I don't think a dental is necessary every year...maybe, if you aren't caring for their teeth, but seriously I think you should at least give the gel and brushing a try. Anesthesia isn't great for even the healthiest animals, I just hate the thought of your Riley going under if she doesn't need to.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We brush everyones teeth 2x weekly with RMB's two times weekly. We have the gel but haven't used it. We do use the water additive.

I think I'm going to give RMB's a few weeks to see if it will clean the tartar off of Riley's teeth.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would use the gel, the RMB, and brush daily for her for a few weeks, see if it makes a difference. If not, you can always get the dental while its reasonably priced, and stay on top of her teeth from there on out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was going to ask the same question!!! Thanks!
I have never heard of the water additive before! that sounds really great! I think I will try it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts