Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I wanted to find out from other chi owners what tips you have for a new owner, my dog is 3. Any specific food or toys good for the dental health of such small dogs? Right now he is eating wet food but sometimes we mix it with dry food. He won't chew on most things and bugs out about opening his mouth, I've been petting his mouth recently to show him its ok for me to bring my hand that close - I have my dog tooth paste and brush ready to go already. Just any additional things? Thank you!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Assuming my dog likes them, would I need to brush less often if he does?
I would say yes, brushing less often is a firm possibility. It will really depend on your Chi's genetics, but the chewing serves like a flossing and brushing. A lot of chi owners like the gels and sprays too. My crew is raw fed and have great pearly whites. They have chews available almost always too ( good for teeth and keeping them out of trouble). I will probably add a gel with brushing once a week in the future ( the minute I see anything but white!).:D

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think dental health has alot to do with genetics. Most chi's have terrible teeth. I know that feeding raw is supposed to help, but I am not able/willing to do this. I feed them Stella & Chewies, and another frozen premade raw. Mine have a dental every year. I haven't had a chi yet that can go without a dental every once in a while. Chewing does help, but mine give up too soon! Good luck. Sue

·
Registered
894 Posts
You should brush your pup's teeth a least every other day, if not every day. I also use Petzlife gel every time after I brush my girl's teeth. It helps loosen plaque so it's easier to get off next time I brush. It may take a lil while for your Chi to get used to getting his teeth brushed, but it's very important for healthy teeth and gums.

My girls also get bully sticks daily. They are an 100% natural chew that is NOT bone or rawhide, so it is very safe for them to chew. It is actually made out of bull penises, but try not to think about that. Every dog I have ever met LOOOOOOVES bully sticks. I also buy mine from bestbullysticks.com. They are much cheaper to buy there and not in pet stores. But if you want to just try a couple out, Petsmart and Petco carry them, just make sure that they are bully sticks.

My girls are 15 months and have perfectly white teeth and great healthy gums. My vet was very surprised at the their 1 year check up just the other day how awesome they look. Small dogs can very easily get bad teeth. My vet said that all small dogs need to have dental done at 2 years old... but I am proving her wrong with my girls!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I am glad that someone had the sense to say it...chewing on a bull penis does not eliminate the need for dental care.....:rolleyes:

do a check, or ask your vet. How are the teeth and gums ?? There are many products to help keep a healthy chi mouth. since they are small and have sometimes very crowded teeth it is important. I'd get going with the tooth brush asap if I were you......

Something like petzlife gel or leebo (sp??) can be helpful too...

·
Registered
946 Posts
I am glad that someone had the sense to say it...chewing on a bull penis does not eliminate the need for dental care.....:rolleyes:

do a check, or ask your vet. How are the teeth and gums ?? There are many products to help keep a healthy chi mouth. since they are small and have sometimes very crowded teeth it is important. I'd get going with the tooth brush asap if I were you......

Something like petzlife gel or leebo (sp??) can be helpful too...
I think you must have miss understood ( or I missed a post along the way) but I don't think anyone suggested that bully sticks eliminates the need for dental care...they are just another great thing for our pups to chew that can help keep the jaw strong and teeth scraped and probably the gums massaged:daisy:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Assuming my dog likes them, would I need to brush less often if he does?
I would say yes, brushing less often is a firm possibility. It will really depend on your Chi's genetics, but the chewing serves like a flossing and brushing. A lot of chi owners like the gels and sprays too. My crew is raw fed and have great pearly whites. They have chews available almost always too ( good for teeth and keeping them out of trouble). I will probably add a gel with brushing once a week in the future ( the minute I see anything but white!).:D
I think you must have miss understood ( or I missed a post along the way) but I don't think anyone suggested that bully sticks eliminates the need for dental care...they are just another great thing for our pups to chew that can help keep the jaw strong and teeth scraped and probably the gums massaged:daisy:
Well, what Rubia said I think was based off of what I quoted above. If your Chis chew bully sticks, it doesn't mean you can brush less often. It does help with dental, but it does not change that you should be brushing at least every other day.

Raw food does really help with teeth also of course. I know some Chi mamas that feed raw w/ a lot of bone in meals don't ever brush, or do once a week or so. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I never brush my dogs' teeth; but they are on a raw diet. Even if you don't feed raw you can still get the dental benefits; if you feed either a chicken wing or chicken neck a few times a week. NEVER feed cooked chicken bones though; as they splinter and can cause choking. But raw bones are safe; and do a great job keeping teeth pearly white! I consider bones to be "nature's toothbrush," haha.

Here's an article if you want more reassurance. ;)
The right raw bones can save your dog’s teeth and thousands in dental care « Dr. Peter Dobias – holistic veterinary medicine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.