Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does everyone use for dental cleaning? there is so many products out there and I don't know where to start. Do the pads even work? Whats the best approach?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
you can simply use gauze wrapped around your finger w/doggie toothpaste.....they have rubber fingers, brushes. I dont know what pads are, unless my brain is forgetting. Kemo gets dental sticks, rope bones, greenies.....they all help with keeping things clean.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't use anything specific for dental, like toothpate or brushes. Tucker eats dry kibble, and chews on Greenies and rawhides every day. He also gets one or two Milkbone Puppy Biscuits each day.

My mix breed, Co-Co, who is 12 years old, eats dry kibble and gets 2 Milkbone Dog Biscuits (medium size) a day, and her yearly exams, including teeth, are always good. The vet has commented on how clean her teeth are. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use doggie toothpaste with enzymes and chicken flavor. He thought it was TREAT and he loves them! My vet said the best is to use toothbrush! I got a cat size toothbrush from pet store! Their size is so tiny and it fits just NICE in our Chis mouth! :wink: Yoyo gets his teeth brushed at least 4 times in a week! They looks clean and shines so bright! :lol:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I got special doggie toothpaste (chicken flavored) from the vet and my dogs love it!!! I bought a tiny toothbrush from PetCo and ever since they were babies I have been brushing their teeth. Its pretty pointless to do when they are babies because their teeth will just fall out, but it tranes them to accept their teeth being brushed so when they are older they are use to it. I dont rely just on dry food and greenies anymore ever since my mom's dog had terrible tarter buildup. I guess chi's are especially prone to bad dental health and my vet insturcted me to start brushing right away.
My moto is "whatever works for your dog is what you should do". Everyone's dogs are different and not everyones dog's will respond/have the same problems so just find what works for your dog and go with that :wink:
Good luck!!!
Jessica

1 - 6 of 6 Posts