Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last vet visit w/ Bryco brought up an interesting question in my mind...when does a dog need a dental?

B has sparkling white teeth, pink healthy gums, and not a speck of tarter anywhere to be seen. His teeth are not over-crowded, and yet...the vet recommended a dental. A dental at our new vet's is OVER $500.

SO...I'm a bit befuddled. IMO he will most CERTAINLY NOT be getting a dental at 9 months old with beautifully clean teeth...?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, not to mention a large # of chi breeders have told me to NEVER get them for chis with tiny teeth like Bryco as their instruments OFTEN break the teeth and destroy them. That'd REALLY irritate me.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
:confused: Why would he suggest a dental if he has clean teeth? Just for some extra cash?? I'd have laughed if my vet suggested a dental...

Just another reason to try to avoid a dental by taking good care of teeth. Breaking other teeth can also happen when they remove baby teeth....or so I've heard.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If there gums are red (gingivitis) it is a good idea to do a teethclean as that means they have irritation from the tartar, sometimes you can't see the tartar as it's up under the gumline. I've never heard of the dental instrument breaking their teeth off. Zoey has had her teeth handscaled (while she's awake) every 3-4 months and never had a problem with chipping, cracking or breaking. I usually clean her teeth when she has brown gunkies on them. I don't put her under anesthesia since she's a high risk anesthesia patient. But it's been about 6 months since I've cleaned her teeth thanks to the Petzlife Oral Gel. I use it 1-2 times a day, and give her a cookie with some on it at bedtime.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:confused: Why would he suggest a dental if he has clean teeth? Just for some extra cash?? I'd have laughed if my vet suggested a dental...

Just another reason to try to avoid a dental by taking good care of teeth. Breaking other teeth can also happen when they remove baby teeth....or so I've heard.
I'm not sure...the vet said in small dog's mouths you just assume they need a dental every year and that there are spaces in the mouth I can't clean. But...his teeth are not crowded at all and I can easily clean them all appropriately not to mention they are sparkly white!

Ha the best part was she suggested I use Greenies to fend of dentals. Really? For the most part they seem to be on the ball there, but this dental bit is irritating to me!

If there gums are red (gingivitis) it is a good idea to do a teethclean as that means they have irritation from the tartar, sometimes you can't see the tartar as it's up under the gumline. I've never heard of the dental instrument breaking their teeth off. Zoey has had her teeth handscaled (while she's awake) every 3-4 months and never had a problem with chipping, cracking or breaking. I usually clean her teeth when she has brown gunkies on them. I don't put her under anesthesia since she's a high risk anesthesia patient. But it's been about 6 months since I've cleaned her teeth thanks to the Petzlife Oral Gel. I use it 1-2 times a day, and give her a cookie with some on it at bedtime.
His gums are a light pink and healthy tho, not red/inflamed at all.

I just know multiple chihuahua breeders have told me to avoid them at all costs especially when you are showing a dog, as quite a few people have had multiple incisors shattered/uprooted by the high speed polisher thingie, which makes sense as many chis have tiny mouths and the roots on the teeth are not that deep in some lines.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I don't think I'd get the dental. I'd also probably have told my vet to go jump off a cliff! :p

It seems like they're just looking to get you to spend, spend, spend. That's stupid. I would be sooooo very t'd off! Probably time to get a new vet, but I know you're strapped for good vets there. Maybe just make a note to very firmly tell them to NOT discuss dentals with you unless you bring it up first.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I'd get the dental. I'd also probably have told my vet to go jump off a cliff! :p

It seems like they're just looking to get you to spend, spend, spend. That's stupid. I would be sooooo very t'd off! Probably time to get a new vet, but I know you're strapped for good vets there. Maybe just make a note to very firmly tell them to NOT discuss dentals with you unless you bring it up first.
This is the last vet in town, I've tried them all! They ain't cheap, either...

I liked the doc out of town that was also an equine vet but bottom line was we were her smallest patients by say...oh...20 pounds. And it took 1/2 an hr to get there which made appointments nearly impossible as I work and my boss in inflexible, but as far as a vet that didn't think I was a dummy, she was good.

The new vet is very...hmm....very pro dentals, that's apparent, but they also seem to be pretty good otherwise I guess. I just have resigned myself to the fact that I will take my dogs out of town to Denver (6+ hr drive) for anything serious.

·
Registered
923 Posts
This is the last vet in town, I've tried them all! They ain't cheap, either...

I liked the doc out of town that was also an equine vet but bottom line was we were her smallest patients by say...oh...20 pounds. And it took 1/2 an hr to get there which made appointments nearly impossible as I work and my boss in inflexible, but as far as a vet that didn't think I was a dummy, she was good.

The new vet is very...hmm....very pro dentals, that's apparent, but they also seem to be pretty good otherwise I guess. I just have resigned myself to the fact that I will take my dogs out of town to Denver (6+ hr drive) for anything serious.
I would then firmly insist they trust your judgement, and stop discussing dental issues until YOU ask. It's your money, your dog and your decision. This shouldn't be something you're made to feel bad about, or pressured into. If they want to keep you as a client, they need to respect that you'd not a dumbass and you know what you're talking about. Atleast, that's how I treat my vet (and he is a WONDERFUL man who has done so much for us, he just knows I am -not- going to just 'go along' with whatever he suggests without doing my own research first).

Also, hun, no one says you can't use multiple vets for multiple things. I used a farm vet for sugeries (before they yelled at me for being s stupid, negligent owner for feeding raw) because they were cheaper.. but the city vet for checkups, etc. Sure, the vets don't "like" it, but you know what? My money, my dogs, my decisions. Suck it up, buttercup. ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would then firmly insist they trust your judgement, and stop discussing dental issues until YOU ask. It's your money, your dog and your decision. This shouldn't be something you're made to feel bad about, or pressured into. If they want to keep you as a client, they need to respect that you'd not a dumbass and you know what you're talking about. Atleast, that's how I treat my vet (and he is a WONDERFUL man who has done so much for us, he just knows I am -not- going to just 'go along' with whatever he suggests without doing my own research first).

Also, hun, no one says you can't use multiple vets for multiple things. I used a farm vet for sugeries (before they yelled at me for being s stupid, negligent owner for feeding raw) because they were cheaper.. but the city vet for checkups, etc. Sure, the vets don't "like" it, but you know what? My money, my dogs, my decisions. Suck it up, buttercup. ;)

I just don't feel comfortable with any of them here, that's the hard part, and we are literally hours and hours from any decent ones :-/

But, yeah, sigh. I just want to be like...y'know...there's a thing or two YOU could learn from ME apparently about dental care, RMB's, raw foods and general canine care apparently! LOL but you know i'd never say it.

If they keep bringing up the dental issue I will definitely address it. All of my dogs have gorgeous, sparkling teeth, zero redness or irritation, except Laurel who we are still working on as she was much older at the start of her regime hehe.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I would probably just say "Thanks for the suggestion! I think we'll hold out a bit longer..."
You've mentioned before they want you to have yearly dentals for your "little dogs" and with the care you take, I really don't see that being necessary...
When I was "helping" with dentals one day at my vet's office, there was one specific tool that I was told they never use, as it has been known to break teeth/jaws. It's kind of a springy looking thing that cradles a canine in the top, and a canine in the bottom, to keep the mouth open while they are working. However, if it's bumped or shifted the slightest bit, it could twist and break a tooth/jaw... VVVVERY scary...

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
The whole thing is nuts to me why they even suggested it to you, they sound like money grubbers to me, what other reason could there be? That's a shame you don't have more choices for a vet nearby, if you did, I'd seriously suggest switching. Personally, I'd make no bones about directly asking them why the heck they suggested the dental when clearly his teeth are sparkling clean? I wouldn't tiptoe around it at all and I wouldn't let them make you feel funny about it either. That's just plain crazy to me that they even suggested it. Urgh.

I would then firmly insist they trust your judgement, and stop discussing dental issues until YOU ask. It's your money, your dog and your decision. This shouldn't be something you're made to feel bad about, or pressured into. If they want to keep you as a client, they need to respect that you'd not a dumbass and you know what you're talking about. A
Agree 100%.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, if they bring it up at his 1 year check...I will flat out be like...um, no, that's ridiculous...tell me why!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have to say I am shocked that your vet thought a 9 month old chi with clean teeth and good gums needed a dental??!!!! I work at a vet clinic and I have never heard or seen any of our vets push a dental on an animal that does not need it.

As you know my dog had a dental.... It was HIGHLY needed, she is very small with a tiny mouth and her teeth dont have very deep roots and her teeth were bad :( I tried EVERYTHING from raw food, brushing, sprays, mouth washes ect... I think I just left it to long and then the dental was no choice.

I wish my vet or breeder would of told me how important it was to brush and watch my dogs teeth, I had NO idea that her teeth were getting so bad untill I went to a NEW vet and they were like ummm shes lost 3 teeth, needs a dental and her teeth are brown... And she was already 4 years old by then. Yes its my fault to for not doing more research on chi's when I got her but for some reason I thought they had good teeth like cats lol! Thank god I work in a vet clinic now and learn lots everyday :)

Just keep doing what your doing and it doesnt hurt to have a little cleaning and floride when they are a couple years old just to keep things going good :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have a question, some of us cannot/will not feed raw (there is no way my baby boys teeth could handle that! they are like little razor chips no debate please!!!)

I notice he has some discoloration at his gums and his mouth is sooo small, I don't know how to describe it but his muzzle is like the length of my thumb nail!!!, now imagine the teeth in there!!

B loves those long rawhide twist things (the super narrow ones) I just started to allow him to have them again.
I've tried brushing his teeth but it's uber insane I cannot even get a brush or finger in there.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.. just curious.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I have a question, some of us cannot/will not feed raw (there is no way my baby boys teeth could handle that! they are like little razor chips no debate please!!!)

I notice he has some discoloration at his gums and his mouth is sooo small, I don't know how to describe it but his muzzle is like the length of my thumb nail!!!, now imagine the teeth in there!!

B loves those long rawhide twist things (the super narrow ones) I just started to allow him to have them again.
I've tried brushing his teeth but it's uber insane I cannot even get a brush or finger in there.

If his gums are discoloured that's a sign of gum disease or plaque build up you need to get it off!!

I know u said no debate but were friends lol daisy was 9 weeks and 1.5lb with her first raw bone, lotus was 12 weeks and 2lb you are right he prob can't get through the bone ATM but frankly getting through the bone isn't what does the cleaning it's thenknawing and the enzymes in the raw meat you could if you want try to get them a bigger bone like a rib to strip the meat off you'll be surprised

Or you need to do some work on his teeth I hate the thought of dentals bugs me they put your dog under for a cleaning seems silly!!

Raw hides are poo they don't digest so can cause blockages, bullies smell and I don't think they do a fab job bet thing I've found is ostrich tendons the dogs go mental and try fray into like a brush at the end try really help.

Also idk about the spray stuff ingot tropiclean gel kristi recommended coz daisy had a retained tooth and I wa paranoid I also flossed it and it seemed to work the nozzle is the size of a pin head so it will fit in bijous mouth no prob you squirt it over their teeth they slap their lips and go mad and it's done twice a day may help!!

You could also get a finger brush on your little finger and give that ago just to help no wy at the boys age should they have gum/teeth probs my mates yorkie wa te same his were disgusting green in places at a year old so now e comes over weeklyfor a clean up at aunti sarahs!!

Alternatively I'll have bijou :)

Kristi tell your vet to piss off!!! I'm lucky my vet is old school but doesn't question my beliefs

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Kitty what do you mean discolored? Some dogs DO have black pigment in some places in their mouths, I know Trigger does (black tri), and has the most perfectly sparkling clean white and healthy teeth...its just pigment. The key is to look at the pink...is it pink or is it reddish...? I do know Oakley had very bad teeth, overcrowded, lots of tarter buildup, etc. b'c I didn't know to brush and really didn't know anything about dog's teeth, etc. At 1 year old she had 4 retained baby teeth removed and even though I had hand-scaled her teeth I had them polished and cleaned while she was under having the teeth pulled...since then, its been 6+ months, her teeth are GORGEOUS, clean, sparkling & white. I have found a toothbrush that works for her, she has a very very small mouth/muzzle as well, so does Bryco...Amazon.com: CET Toothbrush: Home & Garden I trim about 1/2 of the bristles off on it and it slides into their mouths pretty easily. I do think Bijou has a smaller mouth than either of them but my guess is it still would work. Its much smaller than a finger and the plastic part is minimal/tiny and that is unlike others I've tried/including baby & infant ones. Bryco's been eating raw foods since he was only 2 lb with almost no teeth but I totally understand if that is not the route you want to go. You can get enzymatic chews, they are rawhide but they are broken up into tiny chunks then compressed back together so they can't really cause a blockage the same way a big floppy piece can...Amazon.com: C.E.T. Enzymatic Oral Hygiene Chews for Petite Dogs, 30 Chews: Home & Garden

I use those as well as the tropiclean and the petzlife but I think the real key is to brush at least 4-5 times weekly, it stimulates the gums, they will likely bleed at first, but that's good you want a healthy supply of bloodflow to routinely get to them :) So eventually the bleeding WILL stop.

You do not have to open their mouths to brush...
Trigger is MUCH bigger but...you get the idea...you can shove it in the side of their mouth and hold the mouth closed and run it up and down the side teeth. I'd been drinking in the video haha so...yeah I normally don't sound QUITE that squeaky :p I do open their mouths to get the bottom teeth better and you probably can do that w/ Bijou too. The sides of their face right by the mouth don't have feeling in them so you can tug and pull and not worry about hurting him.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Kristi, curious if you think the Petz Life spray works better than the Tropiclean gel? Or do you find them about the same?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kristi, curious if you think the Petz Life spray works better than the Tropiclean gel? Or do you find them about the same?
I think they are about the same, I just use whichever is on the floor of the house I am on TBH :) I think the Tropiclean gel sticks to/coats the teeth a bit better than the spray, and it's cheaper. I still haven't used our Petzlife gel, and its sitting in our fridge...once I have an empty tropiclean bottle I was gonna put it in there as it's easier to use.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Trying to brush Dahlias teeth is like trying to pull her teeth.
Her small mouth is next to impossible to get into.
She wiggles and clamps her jaws shut.
She will be getting dentals regularly as she ages
Im sure.She is extremely difficult.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts