Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Well I am thinking that it is time for my little chi to get a dental.... I have tried for 2 years now to avoid this....
I changed her food, I brush her teeth every 3 days plus she gets the Petz Zone oral care sprayed into her mouth EVERYNITE. She has doggy toothpaste, and the mouthwash, I have TRIED everything. And she has again 2 loose teeth and still horrible tarter :( and her breath is getting worse than normal must be the loose teeth.

I am SOOO nervous to get this done. I DO NOT want her put under, but it seems like this dental HAS to be done. I work at a vet clinic so I have talked with the techs and vets about this forever... So I told them I was finnally gonna take the plunge lol!
I already know my girl will get special care because I work there and we have discussed the safest route possible for her and of course I am getting the blood work done before we even think of putting her under. And I got to chose the tech I wanted, so I know the one best at dental and the one best with smaller dogs etc.... I dont think I could ever get this done if I didnt work at a clinic lol!!! I am to nervous.

We decided on gas to put her under Isoflurane.... And keeping it a little lower to.

I have seen lots of animals put under and get dentals etc, I see how hard it is on some of the little dogs after..... But I see the benifits to. I have also see a healthy pup not wake up from being put under..... The owner didnt get blood work done before hand but it was sad.....

Anyway I have yapped on and on! I am just getting nervous!!!

So who has gotten a dental done on there dog? How did it go? What did they put him/her under with Isoflurane (gas) or through IV injection the other type??

How did you find how they felt after they got home?:color: Did they need pain meds? I know some dogs do some dont, I am thinking I would bring some home just incase.....

Sorry this is so long

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have not got to that stage with Honey yet, thank goodness! I hope all goes well for you!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I didn't know to brush Oakley's teeth when I got her, and by 10 months she pretty much needed a dental :( :( I tried at that point to brush and "fix it" LOL, but I had her get the dental at around a year old, and since then, not a spec of tarter is on her teeth because I've maintained by brushing EVERY single day. I was really nervous too...I hope it all goes smoothly for your guys. Now I brush every puppy's teeth I have LOL...every day. Its sorta annoying, but I know it helps.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I brush Honeys teeth every day with the rubber thing I put on my finger and then this meaty paste she loves it :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
my mastiff is 9 with a heart murmur but she got tumors on her gums so we had to get them removed along with a bunch of teeth I think it was 6 or 7 teeth can't remember was in the summer but she was put under with iv and she needed pain meds after and we had to put warm water on her food and allow it to get soft before she ate as it was painful we did this anyways because of the tumors so she was used to it anyways. she had a hard time getting up we got to stay with her the whole time except while in surgery she kept lifting her head to get up but couldn't lol it took like an hour or a bit more for her to fully be able to get up and walk normally before they would release her but we had to get her up really slow due to her huge size and the fact that she had cruciet (sp?) ligament surgery in the past so we have to be VERY careful she doesn't damage her knee again in your case since your baby is small you will be able to carry her my mastiff is 96-100 lbs lol

working in a clinic is very beneficial to you and im sure it will help put you at ease! good luck on the dental my mastiffs teeth were really full of tartar and they are super pearly white still since the dental we don't brush but we should but since mastiffs only live until 10 years or so we know she won't need another dental in her life cycle so we just leave her be and try not to aggravate her gums.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My Lily has had a dental. She didn't really seem to have any after-effects except being tired from the anesthesia. We had to give her some pain meds though bc she ended up getting 3-4 teeth pulled.

I know you said you worked for the clinic but could you find one that does the dental awake? The vet that just did Roxy's spay can do them awake. That's what Riley will be getting done if her tartar doesn't clear up soon.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm sorry your baby has to be put under for the dental. I was planning on having one done on Matilda when they were going to take her 2 deciduous canines out at 1.5yo (despite water addatives & brushing every few days). However one day I decided to take a metal dental pick to her teeth & was able to clean it all off myself...very carefully I'll add. For the next 9mo or so I'd pick on occassion & skip brushing all together. We started feeding raw in Feb of this year & I've only had to pick a thin "line" of stuff (near her gums) off her teeth twice. The bone in meals she eats does the rest. Same for the rest of my crew. I actually also pick their teeth with my fingernail as needed (sounds gross but works & is safer than the metal pick) which really isn't often. Anthing I typically get off doing that is soft & comes right off. A toothbrush would probably do something similar but they tolerate my fingernail better than a toothbrush. LOL

Anyway, after you get her dental done, if you stay right on top of her teeth from here on out you should be able to avoid any further dentals. I'm sure she'll do great & how lucky to have her in such a wonderful & familiar setting! Good luck with the proceedure! :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I'm sorry your baby has to be put under for the dental. I was planning on having one done on Matilda when they were going to take her 2 deciduous canines out at 1.5yo (despite water addatives & brushing every few days). However one day I decided to take a metal dental pick to her teeth & was able to clean it all off myself...very carefully I'll add. For the next 9mo or so I'd pick on occassion & skip brushing all together. We started feeding raw in Feb of this year & I've only had to pick a thin "line" of stuff (near her gums) off her teeth twice. The bone in meals she eats does the rest. Same for the rest of my crew. I actually also pick their teeth with my fingernail as needed (sounds gross but works & is safer than the metal pick) which really isn't often. Anthing I typically get off doing that is soft & comes right off. A toothbrush would probably do something similar but they tolerate my fingernail better than a toothbrush. LOL

Anyway, after you get her dental done, if you stay right on top of her teeth from here on out you should be able to avoid any further dentals. I'm sure she'll do great & how lucky to have her in such a wonderful & familiar setting! Good luck with the proceedure! :)
i use my finger nail on my chis too :D:D:D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I have no experience of this but I've fed my pups prey model raw since I got them my one year old has a Hollywood smile! Once she's had her dental you could supplement her with raw meaty bones 4 times a week that along with brushing should help

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Both Pip and Roo have had 1 dental done a few months after I first adopted them. They were 2 years old at the time and already had quite a bit of tartar at that young age.

They came through it absolutely fine, I did have pre-blood work done. Roo handled it totally fine, was just sleepy afterward from being put under, (Isoflurane was used for both of mine) but other than that she was fine. My Pip was fine too, wanted to play with his ball when he got home, haha, (I had to put it away, heh) but in general he doesn't handle not feeling well as good as Roo and he would cry out a few times and shake a little for maybe an hour after he got home. But overall they were fine. They did give them pain meds, but I only used them for one day as they seem completely fine the next day, romping and playing etc.

They haven't had much build up since, but I used a gel and brush their teeth.

Good luck. I'm sure all will go well, you'll be so glad you had it done. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guy! I need the reasurance :)
I think working in a clinic makes it easier and harder lol, since I know what "happens" in the back lol. But I got to pick the tech and the vet I thought would be the best to do my little girl, we have quite a few vets and techs at my clinic and all of them have there own specialties.

I am also choosing a day when I am NOT working, I wont be able to concentrait and I will keep trying to go to the back and see whats going on, and I may hear her cry.... So I couldnt handle that.

Also I cant get a dental done with out her being put under because she has to have some loose teeth pulled and that cant be done while she is awake.

I have tried for over 2 years to try and avoid getting a dental, chews, raw bones, sprays, teeth brushing, diet change, nothing has worked. So I think once I get this really hard old tarter off, it will be a fresh start and I will keep it off! :)

I just cant wait till its over lol, I am already nervous!

Thanks for all your stories guys! Its a big help! I will post a thread when C.C gets her dental done :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!

Well I am thinking that it is time for my little chi to get a dental.... I have tried for 2 years now to avoid this....
I changed her food, I brush her teeth every 3 days plus she gets the Petz Zone oral care sprayed into her mouth EVERYNITE. She has doggy toothpaste, and the mouthwash, I have TRIED everything. And she has again 2 loose teeth and still horrible tarter :( and her breath is getting worse than normal must be the loose teeth.

I am SOOO nervous to get this done. I DO NOT want her put under, but it seems like this dental HAS to be done. I work at a vet clinic so I have talked with the techs and vets about this forever... So I told them I was finnally gonna take the plunge lol!
I already know my girl will get special care because I work there and we have discussed the safest route possible for her and of course I am getting the blood work done before we even think of putting her under. And I got to chose the tech I wanted, so I know the one best at dental and the one best with smaller dogs etc.... I dont think I could ever get this done if I didnt work at a clinic lol!!! I am to nervous.

We decided on gas to put her under Isoflurane.... And keeping it a little lower to.

I have seen lots of animals put under and get dentals etc, I see how hard it is on some of the little dogs after..... But I see the benifits to. I have also see a healthy pup not wake up from being put under..... The owner didnt get blood work done before hand but it was sad.....

Anyway I have yapped on and on! I am just getting nervous!!!

So who has gotten a dental done on there dog? How did it go? What did they put him/her under with Isoflurane (gas) or through IV injection the other type??

How did you find how they felt after they got home?:color: Did they need pain meds? I know some dogs do some dont, I am thinking I would bring some home just incase.....

Sorry this is so long
So how did it go? How is Chi doing now?
brooklyndeletemytrash.xyz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts