Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a dog who normally eats a 6 star grain-free food, are these treats okay to give?
Lua and Ellie love them... we had a humungous box of free samples sent to the vet I work at as a promo item, but since we don't sell anything that isn't prescription we couldn't do anything with them. So, now I have a huge trash bag full of Dentastix in my kitchen. =P

I know Pedigree FOOD is crap, but I guess I just wondered how *detrimental* it is to add one in a day to a 6 star food.

The ingredients are:
Rice Flour, Wheat Starch, Glycerin, Gelatin, Gum Arabic, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Poultry Flavor, Powdered Cellulose, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Salt (Iodized), Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate [source of Vitamin C], Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, D-calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Dl-alpha Tocopherol Acetate [source of Vitamin E], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1]), Potassium Sorbate (a Preservative), Smoke Flavor, Zinc Sulphate, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Iron Oxide, Copper Sulfate.

I used our Search function and it looks as if a lot of dogs *like* them but I wanted to look more into it from a health standpoint. I know they aren't good, but is it harmful??

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
why would it be harmful? just because they're crappy ingredients it's not going to kill your dog, i've fed them many times to my own dogs and everyone is in good health. Maybe if you fed too many they would gain weight since it is crappy ingredients but i've never ever had problems with them my dogs love them I say let your dogs have em it would be a nice treat. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I would watch how many you give. I gave them to mine last summer and Adam put quite alot of weight on. I think they must be very fattening for tiny dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts