Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: I apologize beforehand if this is in the wrong forum. I was debating this one, or the general one - but since it's "health" related, I said "shoot, I'll try this one."
---------------------------------

The following subject may be a sensitive one, at least for some - but for me, who is currently battling for it - I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone else has had the same experiences and how they have faired through it.

Last year (Late May of 2004 I was diagnosed so this May marks my '1 year anniversary') of beging diagnosed with G.A.D. (Generalized Social Anxiety Disorder), Depression & S.A.D (Social Anxiety Disorder). Now, this is very odd, considering I love people, have always loved them, and did theatre for 10 years. However over the past year things have changed.

It has been a very tough battle for me, battling such a disorder. Not many people are understanding - some look at it as something one just snaps out of but it's a medical condition. (I am very much aware of my very fortuante life, loving family, friends and home).

I am wondering if anyone else on the board has had, or currently suffering from depression, G.A.D, and/or S.A.D. I am interested in what you have done and continue to do to free yourself from this empty prison. (What medications.. how long did it last.. did it spur from anything..etc.)

So.., anyway,, :oops:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Yeah actually I can relate and when it's at it's worst I just have to compare myself to a turtle (I pull into my shell). I've run the gamut on antidepressants I think, currently prozac is working again. Anti anxiety drugs do help to an extent and there are times it's much better all on it's own. I've found for me the biggest trick is to recognise the symptoms before it gets too bad and start taking action immediately. Not that I always succeed in doing this but it sure is easier on everyone if I get to it quickly.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I was having a bad year 2003 and in December that year I totally lost it.. and I went to my doctor in Jan 2004 and she looked at me and asked me if Anything changed in my life and I told her that in the last year I lost my Grandma(the rock of my entire life).

I used to do hair and had to get out of the business because of the people started to get to me.. I couldn't deal with them any more. (That was like 5 years before).

Then My ex- husband started his crap again with me and I couldn't get him to stop ( has been an on going depressing problem for too many years).

And then I was having issues with Amanda wanting to push every button I had and then some...

I told my docotor that I wasn't the same happy go lucky person I used to be...

She said that I had onset depression( she said that it meant that Things that happen in my life onset it and I will be fine for a while then I will lose it).

Plus I have had problems with migranes for years and that It was also a problem relating to the depression. I am a life long ansomniac. up do this point in my life I hadn't slept a full night in so many years I forgot what a good night sleep was....

So she gave me 2 prescribtions. 1 for the depression and 1 for the migranes and the ansomnia. I take 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill at night to go to sleep...

This past year and a half has been up and down for me.. it took a good 6 months before I started to feel I could deal with people again... I still don't like people... but I think I will always not like people (when I am saying people I am talking about in larger groups and strangers) I am getting through this. I think I am actually ready to find a part time job and see if I can deal with people again.. I do alright with people I know but People that I don't know it tollay different. I have found taking Gadget with me every where has really helped me with this.

My doctor thinks that losing my Grandma was the final straw that made me hit bottom. It has now been 2 years since I have lost her but I still feel like it was yesterday...

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
This subject hits a little too close to home so I'm not going to say much. I just don't feel up to it right now, ya know? :)

But the one thing I want to say is... don't allow people to tell you to "just snap out of it." Just snap out of arthritis or diabetes while you're at it. :x

I will say one more thing... no, two more things:

1. I'm glad you have your little boy to love.
2. I think you're pretty brave to be so upfront about this.

:) :)

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
my bf suffers from it too ......it's very hard for me to understand because i am the opposite :?
he's taking lysanxia to calm down

what are you feeling ..?do you get stress?

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure when it really started. I think it really started the year before I was diagnosed, but for the longest time they just thought I had IBS. (I would get horrible stomach aches, constant trips to the bathroom after eating) and/or not eating at all.

It took them a year to diagnose me, and now (2 years later, really) - I am still trying to get by on a day to day basis. In fact, I have an interview today with a principal at one of the schools I want to work at - and I am nervous that I will have a panic attack or something. Makes me a tad nervous.

I hope I go through with it, with flying colors - and it be my first, and last - and I walk out of there with a job.

As for my own onset - the nurses and doctors believe I am having a hard time making the transistion from child to adult. (Hense the book they gave me, "Quarter Life Crisis: The challenges of life in your 20s". I would have to agree. Before, everything was consistant.. friends in the same area. family. Now everyone is all over. ,married, having babies.. I guess it's been a hard adjust ment for me. However I don't know.

I was seeing a counselor at the university I attended (and she helped) AND IT WAS FREEEEE! But now I have to find a counselor here, and it's been more difficult. I found a psychiatrist but the earliest I Could get in was June 20th! I have called a few psychologists.counselors but they haven't returned my phone calls yet so my nurse took them and will call them. She was like "Don't worry, they will answer my call!"

At first I was ashamed I had a mental disorder. When you think mental disorders, you think straight jackets and suicidal tendencies and maniacs. It's not all like that. I would never hurt anyone, their child, an adult - or an animal. But the reason I have decided to become so upforth about it, is because it IS such a lonely battle and I don't want people thinking that they re the ONLY one batling it (Because you really do believe you are!)

Plus I want to rid the world of the stereotype that depression is something someone can "snap out of" - or that they are conceited and selfish because they have "everything" but still aren't happy. I think once I battle it, I want to be a spokesperson or a guide to help others through it. Because it's hard. It really is.

Every day I try to think of things I am greatful for:
1. Guinness
2. The rest of my pets.
3. My Parents/Family
4. I graduated college!
5. I have an interview - and they are HARD to get.

Maybe I SHOULD do that everyday - write everything I am greatful for. Maybe it'll help. I don' tknow.. lol

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
waauw alison ...it's so weird thinking you suffer from it :? i don't personally know you , but you came across as a very happy,carefree person . i think it's very brave you confront it like that , because my bf doesn't . i have to admit i sometimes say to him 'oh just get over it ' i know this is wrong ...but it's so hard to understand for other people and especially if you live with them . how does your boyfriend handle it ?

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Glad to see someone bringing up this subject. I am now 15 and last year got diagnosed with depression and S.A.D after losing my dad out of the blue then my friends giving up on me. I wasn't able to go to school so now am taught at home. I only have my mum and grandad and its very hard.

If i didnt have my chihuahua I would probably not be hear. I tried to kill myself just before xmas. I didn't see any light, it was my only hope.

But luckily i was ok and started looking for a chi. Everyone said I shouldn't be allowed one because I was so young, people didn't know me or my circumstances. Noone has the right to sya that. Once I found my baby life started picking up. I wake up every morning and look at him and just think how lucky I am. I am looking for another chi because my present boy is truly what I live for. One day I would like to breed because thats how I want to live my life. I am lucky enough to have money from my dads will so hopefully now there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

But all that doesn't cure depression, you have to take each day as it comes. I have days where I don't wanna get out of bed but I know I must because Jack relies on me. I have my tablets which I take as a relief but I must live each day to help cure my depression.

And as for S.A.D I find it so frustrating. Its not something I can help but i get so annoyed with myself because of my lil attacks. I feel safe with Jack as hes my night in shining armour and we are a partnership. Hes more than a pet, hes a friend, my baby and an honest life saver.

He means the world.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i'm so sad to hear this :cry: i knew you had troubles with your friends and you lost your dad .....but i didn't knew it was this bad :cry:
i'm glad you found jack and your new girl ...;chi's bring pure happiness :wink:
...;and if you want you can always talk to me through msn :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I too have been down this road with depression - it was some years ago, and the stigma was even worse then.

I think you are on the right track to getting much better, and you show a lot of maturity for someone so young. And being up-front and honest about your depression is good. It is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

I totally agree that pets are wonderful companions - when you know you are responsible for someone else, it makes it more difficult to just stay in bed and pull the covers over your head. Plus, pets give unconditional love. There are times even now when I get a little depressed, and having Jasmine makes all the difference.

It appears you have a loving and supportive family, and you are taking all the necessary steps to getting better. You will be in my thoughts. Give Guiness a big hug for Jasmine and me.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
xx-nathalie-xx said:
waauw alison ...it's so weird thinking you suffer from it :? i don't personally know you , but you came across as a very happy,carefree person . i think it's very brave you confront it like that , because my bf doesn't . i have to admit i sometimes say to him 'oh just get over it ' i know this is wrong ...but it's so hard to understand for other people and especially if you live with them . how does your boyfriend handle it ?

kisses nat
I've been told to put myself in situations where I feel better, what makes me happy. Being on the computer and chatting about fuzzy puppy chis makes me happy - and eases the stress. Everyday is a little better.. for instance. My mother commented, "Wow, this morning you look good! You actually got up and ate breakfast!" - that is good for me. Usually Im very anxious in the morning and can't eat until the afternoon. So.. wee :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, how does my boyfriend handle it? Easy. He couldn't. He jumped boat.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Iamafairy said:
Glad to see someone bringing up this subject. I am now 15 and last year got diagnosed with depression and S.A.D after losing my dad out of the blue then my friends giving up on me. I wasn't able to go to school so now am taught at home. I only have my mum and grandad and its very hard.
I am so sorry you lost your father. I'm 22 and I can't imagine losing either one of my parents. I don't know what I would do, or how I would make it. Just the fact that you are still here - shows what an amazingly strong person you are! You just keep telling yourself that! (I keep having to remind myself too!)

S.A.D (how ironic that is the acronymn) (sp?) is a horrible disorder. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I understand totally what your all going through. Mental illness is very hard to talk about and live with. There is still a stigma attached to it as well. I have had severe depression on and off for years and have been hospitalised because of it. When the tablets didnt work the consultant even suggested electric shock treatment. Luckily i didnt have it as the tablets eventually worked. Im on 225mg of Venlafaxine a day and they are working ok at the moment.People who dont know me well cant believe ive ever had depression as i can be so outgoing. It can affect anyone.
We all have have to take one day at a time. *hugs* :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I just found this thread and thought I'd reply, even though it's been 3 months since the last post.

I was diagnosed with depression after being "really sad" for a year or so while having problems sleeping at the same time. My doctor sent me to both a psychologist and a neurologist to see how much one was effecting the other and to possibly find if one actually caused the other.

After a few months of therapy and a few sleep studies, everyone got together and decided I had both depression and several sleep disorders including insomnia, narcolepsy and sleep apnea. (For those of you wondering, you can have insomnia and narcolepsy at the same time - they call it "narcoleptic insomnia." A bit contradictory but it's defined as you can't sleep but when you do, <boom> you're out.) Anyway, my psychologist diagnosed me with depression and SAD, which was weird to me because I am generally an outgoing person and never felt anxiety in public places or around people. I was put on a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea and given Lithium for my depression.

Once I got a good nights' sleep - which, by the way, was the first time I had slept well in my entire life and I was amazed at how good I felt - I took my lithium for the first time. The side effects are not pretty but within the first hour of taking the first pill, I felt completely different in a good way.

I have been off lithium in the past while my doctor tried new drugs on me but have always gone back to the lithium and have remained on it since my MS diagnosis 3 years ago.

Now when somoene tells me they suffer from depression, I DO know how they feel but, honestly, I can't remember it. I remember that I didn't enjoy it and I knew something was wrong with me but just couldn't get out of bed to get help but that's it. It all seems like a really bad nightmare where you know what happened but you really can't remember the details.

Good luck to those of you who are still searching for that feeling - speaking from experience, I know you can find it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts