Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. It's been about 6 weeks since my first (and last) post and about 8 weeks since we rescued our Chi, Gus. In my first post we were struggling with the housetraining, but I am happy to report that he is doing GREAT with that! Having another older dog in the house seems to have really helped him figure things out. He's an absolute joy to have around - he loves us so much and he loves our Cocker too. He sticks to her side like glue - anytime she lays down he has to be right next to her, spooning her :p

Now we have a new issue! Every time we leave the house for any period of time, we have to take care not to leave anything but chew toys on the ground or Gus will chew them to oblivion while we are gone. Today I left the dogs' collars on the coffee table (we usually take them off at night so we don't have to hear the tags jingle) and went to take my son to school. When I returned an hour later, Gus had chewed up the buckles on both collars and they are now completely unusable. Two feet from where I found the collars were two of his favorite chew toys - what gives?! I am a stay at home mom, so the dogs are rarely alone for more than an hour or two during the day. I could understand if we were gone all day and he was bored, but I only ever leave long enough to run errands, run the kids to school, etc... Because we are unsure of his age (he was a rescue), I have no idea if this is a puppy behavior that he will outgrow or an ingrained bad habit at this point. I should also mention that he doesn't do this sort of thing when we are home, only when we are gone. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? It's getting expensive to replace the odd item we overlook when "chi-proofing" the house every time we have to go out :( I would really hate to have to crate him when we are gone because I think he would be miserable since our other dog would have free reign of the house.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yep, mine will take things off my desk when I'm not paying attention and chew them up, too. It's something new and a different texture and it smells like dogs. It's very normal for my dogs, I have to make sure nothing is around for my guys to get all the time. They espeially love eating the mail. lol

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Lincolns the same way, be glad gus isn't a golden Lincoln has mastered 'counter surfing'

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Lincolns the same way, be glad gus isn't a golden Lincoln has mastered 'counter surfing'
That made me laugh! My Golden used to steal cornbread and biscuits off the counter all the time!

Gracie didn't start the chewing thing until she was about a year old. I honestly thought we might get away with never having to deal with it - I've never had a dog start chewing that late! She is just like your Gus...She's a sneaky chewer...She never does it when we're here with her. I had a huge basket with all their toys in it and came home one afternoon to find all the toys dumped, and the basket in a million pieces!

Unfortunately, there was really nothing we could do to stop her. Scolding her didn't work, and after a few days of it, back in the crate she went when we were out. It's a shame that we can't trust her, she's 100% housetrained, but she just might chew the house down.

I lost a pup years ago - he chewed into an electrical wire (Christmas lights) and electrocuted himself. I couldn't bare having something like that happen again, so if we can't supervise her, we just feel more comfortable for her safety to crate her while we work. We're fortunate, though, because either my husband or myself can come home every day at lunch and let her out for awhile.

·
Registered
201 Posts
bell chews lottery tickets,magazines and the mail when we are out and also doesnt do it when we are home, i just have to make sure nothings lying around before i got out lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts