Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again
further to my last update post I have a question.
Have any of you had any experience of chis with developmental delay?
the vet mentioned about Elmo having it due to his tounge etc and wonder if anyone can help?
thanksx:confused:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If your vet is comparing a dog's tongue that sticks out of the mouth as comparable to down's syndrome in a child, your vet is very mistaken.

Tongues that stick out of the mouth are usually due to a poor bite, missing teeth, and don't signal a developmental delay. Sometimes their tongues are also too big for their mouth.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I agree with Tracy. My Gia's tongue sticks out sometime, but it's because she has a tooth on that side that is further up due to double teeth. And some Chi's just have overly large tongues that make them hang out as already mentioned.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi,
Elmo will be two in July. He has a very big tongue which flops outside one side of his mouth alot. I bought him knowing he was the runt of the litter- he was quite poorly when he was born but due to the dedication of the breeder who fed him Nutri-cal and looked after him really well, he pulled through and I got him home at ten weeks. He was very small- the size of a coke can and had his diet supplemented with Lactol for many months to build him up. Having read up and seen his litter mates I knew myself he had difficulties. He couldn't go/walk outside until about 7/8 months, and only now with alot of effort on both our parts can he walk on the lead confidently. He tried two training classes and hated them both. He was unable to do any of the excercises at all - he was about 9 months maybe at the first one). He cried on the way to the other one and the teacher made fun of him infront of the whole class. Needless to say we stopped going.
I was told by the breeder to think of him like a premature baby- he is behind but will get there in the end. I am hoping this is the case with his seperation anxiety issues.
He also has mild luxtating patellas.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
What do you mean by 'couldn't go out for a walk' like wouldn't walk.. or just laid down coz he didn't want to walk? Theres a whole difference between couldn't and wouldn't!!

Also what do you mean by unable to do the exercises?? I don't understand like sit etc?? some just take longer than others.. doesn't mean they can't!!

Sorry if this sounds really rude i don't mean it too..

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The smaller ones do mature much slower than their peers. As far as neurological problems, only your Vet can diagnose that.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He did not like being outside and cried when put outside. His legs splayed to the side and he physically seemed unable to walk on the concrete.
I love him despite all the problems he has had. when I started this discussion I was merely asking a question about MY dog and my experiences with him and if anybody else had a furbaby who was a bit behind. It is not a insult to him to say it. It is the way he is.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Poor little Elmo...at the same time, he is with the right mommy who seems to really care about him =) I don't think a tongue sticking out indicates developmental delay, although it does sound like there might be a bit of that going on...just don't think that's the case here. Your little guy sounds like he is very charming, BTW.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Has he learnt how to do anything, like sit for example??
How quickly he picked it up would be a good indicator of his mental development. Maybe he just had a poor start physically and will get stronger as he ages.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have read that some breeders breed for a shorter snout and in doing so the dogs tongue becomes too big for their mouth and sticks out. So is it really that the dogs tongue is too big or has the dog been breed for a shorter snout?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have read that some breeders breed for a shorter snout and in doing so the dogs tongue becomes too big for their mouth and sticks out. So is it really that the dogs tongue is too big or has the dog been breed for a shorter snout?
no,he was not bred like this on purpose. His sisters have none of the problems Elmo has. He was the runt- hate that word of the litter.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
When you say 'all his commands' how many do you mean??
coz my lot can only do sit and recall! I assume that coz all 3 cant learn to lie down/give paw its coz Im a terrible trainer!!LOL. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've never heard of a neurological problem associated with a tongue sticking out. This will be a learning experience for all of us. As you've read, a tongue hanging out is extremely common in Chis and has various causes. Sounds to me like he's got his mommy well trained. If he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't have too. :) It's so easy to fall into that, especially with the poor start he had. Please keep us posted on Elmo. I'm having a hard time determining what he can't do and what he won't do but I'm very curious to follow his progress as I've never heard of this condition before.

Take care and give Elmo a hug from Florida.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think all Chis are a bit stubborn lol! But I don't let Elmo do what he wants though. My mum and dad indulge him alot more than I do. I'm the bad cop!
My breeder told me he might not make it when he was born, so him being here is a small miracle in it's self. I have a good relationship with the breeder and we keep sparodic contact - e.g to update her or ask questions. She did tell me when we first got him and he was very underdeveloped that we should take his progress as it it came and not to expect too much too soon but that he would get there in the end like a premature baby. I think I will try and contact her soon to discuss his problems and get some advice/info.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi, have you had him checked for any liver issues? Liver problems can cause slow development and growth.

My mistys tongue also hangs out of her mouth half of the time, especially when shes tired. Shes got a tiny snout and a big tongue and was left with a gap as when i got her she still had some baby teeth and they had to be removed.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I know some dogs are slower than others. I wouldn't say it's a nheurological problem. Just like some people are brighter than others.

I used to say my benny had nothng between his ears lol. You know when you sometimes wonder what a dog is thinking? Well with Ben I used t say nothing lol. He was just a dumb old softie. (I'm saying that in a good way)

With Cookie you could see in his eyes he was thinking, and that he's intelligent.

As for the tongue, I think its ridiculous. Some Chi's have that problem. Cookie certainly does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts