Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about having Mia's dew claws removed. She is almost 3. She has a dew claw on each foot and they are extremely difficult to trim and I worry about them getting snagged on something. Do you think its inhumane to do this at her age?

·
Registered
768 Posts
They have been there 3 years.. i wouldnt bother.. if they were catching and a problem when she was a pup i would have had it done then :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody has both of his and they don't bother him at all. He has never snagged them on anything. I grind them at the same time as the rest of his nails once a week.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
One of Trigger's grew back and I had it removed at his neuter. I personally don't think it's inhumane at all. Trigger was TERRIFIED of having his touched/clipped, etc. He didn't really even notice or seem bothered by the surgery site. He was more interested in the site of his wee wee surgery ha ha ha.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico has the front only and they aren't very prominent. I do grind the nail down to nothing. I am a big nail care for pups sort. Brody's mom is a great one for this too..

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bailey and Mia are the only ones with dew claws....but mia has 4 and they are really a pain in the azz to trim. I nicked her paw with the dremmel once and made it raw while trying to trim them....and she hates me touching them. I wish I would have had them removed when she was spayed :( but she was spayed very young and I just didnt think about it. I do have a very reasonable vet so Im sure it wouldnt be expensive. Her spay, microchip and pain meds were only $126.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Does she need a dental? You could do it then. I would just hate to put her under anesthesia for something optional like that.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does she need a dental? You could do it then. I would just hate to put her under anesthesia for something optional like that.
Thats why I posted this. I wanted to weigh the pros and cons. Definitely anesthesia is a con. Im pretty sure she doesnt need a dental. Her teeth look good. I guess having them removed would be something to think about in the future is she ever needs to be put under.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
My daughters Harley has his dew claws and he really ripped one badly...poor little guy tore it all the way off...it has since grown back...she is going to have them removed the next time he needs to be put under... I am lucky, Dracos breeder removes them when they are a few days old.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I wish all breeders would routinely remove the dewclaws! Would prevent a lot of problems and it's just a teensy snip and they're done and don't even know it when they are about 3 days old. They don't even need to put in a stitch. Would save us all the trouble and expense later!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I actually just had my male Feodore's dew claws amputated on friday while he was getting neutered. I am actually surprised how bad the wounds are, (though I still think it was the best decision). There are two stitches in each. -just to note though he is a chi-terrier mix and his claws are a lot more big and substantial than my girl who is standard size, so I think the wound is bigger than it would be for a normal chi. If you want me to send you a picture of the op site to see what you might expect if you get them done I can send you some. I think it is a good idea to get them off, if they are ripped accidentally while running it will be much worse for her.Brodysmum's advice is sound as ever- would be good to get them done during a dental.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango has all 4 of his dewclaws and I concur, they are a pain in the @## to trim. But here's the thing. They're not just attached by flesh or skin and perhaps a bit of ligament, the way a lot are, there's bone in there attaching them to his legs. So in his case, their removal would be an actual amputation. It would be akin to having an actual toe on each foot surgically removed.

After going over the pros and cons with the vet, I declined the procedure. The expense of it is considerably more than a quick snip, as it's an actual amputation, a much more complicated procedure. They have to separate the dew claw bones from the leg bone in just the right place or it could impair his mobility permanently. They couldn't do all 4 at once unless I was willing to have Tango completely immobile for a week or two till he'd healed enough to use the limbs without major pain. So it would be two and two.

Above and beyond the expense, I just don't want to put him through this, for the sake of making MY life easier. It's a pain to deal with his dew claws. They curve sharply so I can't grind them like I can the others. They've caught on things a time or two, but that's not a major consideration. It's mainly how difficult they are to trim and the fact that he's touchy about those when he isn't about the rest of his nails. So yeah, it'd be easier on me to not have them there, but I'll deal with them the rest of Tango's life before I'll willingly subject him to two completely separate operations to amputate part of his foot. No thanks.

Check to see how well your dog's dewclaws are attached. If there is any bone connection, but still the vet tries to tell you it's a simple procedure, get a second opinion. It's NOT, not if it's done correctly. And you'll WANT it done correctly!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, Feo's were attached by bone and was an amputation, maybe that's why the wound is so big. Luckily I was only charged £10 for the two dew claws (he only had front) and £2.50 for tooth removal by using the vet at the shelter I volunteer at.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree 100% Tink. That's why I wish it would be done when they are puppies because then it is very simple. You're right - it is like an amputation once they are adults. I'd have to think long and hard about removing them unless they were causing a real problem, not just an inconvenience.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i talked to my vet and he said it would be so painful to buster then age 3 months i guess it was on the bone as described earlier and he suggested against it so i do my best on trimming it makes me nervous i dont want to hurt him

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I dont think I would bother unless theyre really causing a problem. Leo and Miley both have theirs, and other than them being a total pain to clip, they dont cause any issues. One of our labs dewclaws was removed improperly and he had a little something still, so he had it redone by our vet when he was neutered. It caused him a LOT more grief than the neuter. He wasnt fussed at all about his neuter incision but he wouldnt leave his paw alone and limped around on it for over a week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts