Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do I need to do it?

The vet did one dose and I am to do a second dose in two weeks. After the first dose, she completely changed! She stopped inhaling her food in 2.5 seconds, wasn't exaggerated hyper and her poops became firm and small.

After a week she's eating a little bit faster, her poops are getting a bit softer (both not as bad as before though) and she is extremely hyper again (like when your kids have ants in their pants and can't sit still).

I give her the second dose in 4 days. She is 17 weeks old. I have never seen worms in her poop, but she has other symptoms/signs of worms. Will this last dose be enough or should I do another 2 rounds to be safe?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Do what the vet says. Bring in a stool sample a few days after the 2nd dose and see what it shows. IF it is negative, I would not worm again.

·
Registered
622 Posts
It is best to deworm twice. If she is still having those symptoms a week after the second deworming then I would have a fecal test done. Some common intestinal parasites are not affected by the typical puppy dewormer.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'd do what the vet says, then buy a bottle of Safeguard goat dewormer...the dose is 1/4 CC per lb of dog. I would dose her with it for 3 days about a month after the last treatment from the vet, and do a final 3 day course about a month later. When a dog has worms, it can take a LOT to get rid of them even if you don't 'see' them. This is why puppies need to start being dewormed by 4-6 weeks. I am a minimalist but deworming IS very important.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I deworm adults once a month in the summer...but my dogs are outside a LOT. In the winter months I really don't bother unless I see a problem (which I never have)...they are not eating disgusting things outside. I generally do my puppies at 6, 8, 10 & 12 weeks. The dams are also dewormed prior to being bred as well as around day 40 because that is around when worms are passed through the placental attachments to the puppies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts