Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much did you guys pay for a stool test and deworming medication?

Lately my chi's been furiously biting at her tail and scooting occasionally. I thought maybe her anal glands needed to be emptied, so I expressed them and yet she is still itching. Then she had some bloody mucus in her stool, and upon further inspection it looked like there were some tiny white eggs or worms or larvae... I dunno which, I was too squeamish to look any closer. *shudder*

I made an appointment to see the vet at noon so hopefully she will be sorted out in no time. Are any additional tests necessary? My vet has a tendency to do extra tests :foxes15: Last time I took my baby in for some mild constipation my bill came out to be $486 (radiograph, nausea injection, blood test, etc etc.. all of which were not needed as she pooped immediately after a dose of pericolace!). This time I don't want to get strongarmed into anything she doesn't need!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Get a stool sample. Put it in a baggy. Take it into the vet. You don't even need to bring her with you. Have them run a fecal and then call you with the results. That way you don't have to pay an office call and get an exam. Then if she is positive, take her back in and have them administer the wormer. You can even tell them that you are on a budget and don't want all the extra fees. They will usually work with you. Remember, the vet works for YOU.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice!! :) I called and asked if I could do just that, but the vet tech said that if she doesn't have a bowel movement between now and noon, I'll have to bring in her so they can get a sample from her. Sorry to ask again, do you know how much these tests generally run? I also want to maybe test her for giardia and coccidia just in case.. the bloody mucus worries me.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
A worm fecal is usually under $20. Depends on how many things they test for. If you take her in, you'll be charged an office visit, which can run anywhere from $40 to $50. Depends on your area. I would just tell them up front that you are running on a tight budget, and that you do not want a bunch of other tests. Don't be shy, and don't let them intimidate you. Stand your ground. Listen to their advice, then make a firm decision. Even if they don't agree.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
My vet charges 26$ for a stool test. I hate it when they try to add on abunch of extra tests. I changed vets in the past because of that.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
We pay $25 for a fecal test run and I've paid about $10 for hook and roundworm wormer pills from the vet and I think I've paid about $15 for tapewormer from the vet in the past. Now I use a monthly heartworm tablet that covers hooks and roundworms. Rarely they do get tapeworm which I've seen enough of to diagnose myself so I buy tapewormers from the pet store myself which I think cost me $25 for two doses but I only really need one and keep the other on hand as backup. If in doubt definitely get a fecal done so they can give you the correct wormer, it shouldn't cost much at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info ladies!! :) So the fecal exam was $24... gotta wait for the results now. All-in-all the bill was $121 including office fee, anal gland expression and allergy meds.

I'm concerned with the pills (hydroxyzine hcl) she gave me, some of them are larger than others and have different markings on them. I hope they didn't make a mistake, the office is closed now so I can't even call to make sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My chi is 5 years old and has never been wormed..... I always heard such contriversial stuff, some say worm some dont... Its so confusing so I just didnt worm her.

But now she is around horses sometimes and she will eat there poo.... So I have decided I should put her on a worming program, I think it will benifit her more??!!

So what is a good wormer? I know my vet has been pushing me to use Interceptor.... Will Interceptor cover all the worming she needs?

Yes I know I should discuss this more with my vet, but he pushes so much stuff on my little dog that I get nervous they just wanna sell more stuff, so I like to do my research for myself then go back to the vet and pick out what I really need for her.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm concerned with the pills (hydroxyzine hcl) she gave me, some of them are larger than others and have different markings on them. I hope they didn't make a mistake, the office is closed now so I can't even call to make sure.
You can google the medication name, make sure you put in dog or pet so you don't get the human equivalent which may look different to get a picture of what the pill should look like.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I stopped paying for fecal exams. I treat my dogs with Safeguard (the drug in it is fenbendazole) it is a broad spectrum wormer and my vet even gives it for Coccidia and Giardia. It is a powder that you put on their food for 3 days in a row. I use it about once a year or if I know my dogs have come in contact with potentially infested animals. My vet supports me in doing this as it is much cheaper for me to do it this way and it is an effective wormer. You have to follow the directions though and make sure you dose them correctly (buy the right size box) and make sure they eat it. I mix it into about a tablespoon of a wet food that I know they will gobble up or a tablespoon of baby food meat. We haven't had any problems with worms and we even treat any fosters that come in the same way. It always works great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I stopped paying for fecal exams. I treat my dogs with Safeguard (the drug in it is fenbendazole) it is a broad spectrum wormer and my vet even gives it for Coccidia and Giardia.
I've thought about using Safeguard but I wasn't sure about the dosage. It says to use a 1 gram packet for a 10 lb dog. Would I use half that for a 5 lb dog or the entire packet?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've thought about using Safeguard but I wasn't sure about the dosage. It says to use a 1 gram packet for a 10 lb dog. Would I use half that for a 5 lb dog or the entire packet?
My vet says that the entire 1 gram is safe but I split it to save money and it is enough to be effective. I just give half to Neeci (4lbs 2oz) and half to Ellie (3lbs 8oz).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts