Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as promised here are some pics and a bit of directions on how to make homemade chicken jerky treats for your pup!
Start time = 8:30 p.m
End time = 4:30 a.m
Total time for dehydrating = 8 hours
temperature = 160 degrees

there was no real measurements involved this was just a trial run so if you want to use olive oil you can but it wont last as long. i put only about a teaspoon of the garlic powder and some sprinkles of the wheat germ. i recommend using a cooking spray so the chicken doesn't stick or you can use vegetable oil

here's Dexter wantin to know what i was doing! when you get the boneless chicken breasts you will want to slice them into thin 1/4 slices. seasoning like this is optional but if you decide to put some flavor in your treats mix the oil, garlic powder, or any other nummies into a seperate bowl first then mix in the chicken slices. if you are picky you can put the chicken slices into an oven for about 30 mins first and then dehydrate if you please but it's not necessary. MAKE SURE TO CUT OFF FATS/SKIN LOOKIN PIECES!

after seasoning and such it's time to organize the pieces of chicken in evenly spaces so no chicken touches each other (this is very important) you can either place them like i did or horizontally

here's my dehydrator working hard

this is how it looked an hour in

about 4 hours in

about 6 hours in

finally! it's done. at 8 hours

please let cool first then you can tempt your eager pup!

Dexter Approved!

say goodbye/adios/aloha to toxic infested made in china treats

and say hello/bon journo/hola! to homemade natural chicken treats

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
after it is totally cool and done. pop it in the fridge for maximum quality & freshness...

ENJOY! :wave:

EDIT!
when u finish bakin/dehydratin the jerkys it wont really smell like jerky at all...
BUT!~!!!! BUTTTTTTTTTT....the next day after being in the fridge...boy does it smell like the treats you buy from a store:daisy:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
That is just the neatest thing since sliced bread!!! lol. I have got to go get one of those dehydrators and make some treats! And I don't even give Lulu treat--she will think she died and went to heaven. :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
This is amazing! How much was the dehydrator? I'm tempted to do this for Bijoux..but I wonder if it would be expensive to do..we are on a student budget

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Great job! He likes them too!
I made some in the oven yesterday and they were a hit. I placed them on a cooky sheet sprayed with Pam and left them in for 6 hrs at 180 degrees. The boys love them too! :)

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Awesome thread, love your explanation and pictures, great job!
The end result looks so so yummy! :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
So you CAN just make these in the oven then; so long as the temp is set low enough?? I would definitely make some of these for my crew... but I don't have a dehydrator.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes they can be made in an oven too but i just didnt want to leave my oven on for so long plus i have so much pots and pans to remove from there and i didnt wanna go flip them in the process so a dehydrator was best for me and its so neat! lol :)

this one cost around $60 but u can find it cheaper on ebay i believe. there even cheaper ones out for like $20 but theres no temperature controls so they will take longer hours to make because of it. theres also more expensive ones for around $120 or so but im not runnnin a business for them lol :lol:

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
There are SO many delicious things you can make for yourself too!

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
You sold my hubby on this...something we have debated about for a while now. Once I showed him the pictures today and he saw Dexter Approved...he finished his morning coffee and headed to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy the same one you have Sugar. Then to the butcher shop for the meats. We will let you know how it goes :)
I told him that if a lady who doesn't cook can make such yummy Jerky for Dexter then we can do it to :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You sold my hubby on this...something we have debated about for a while now. Once I showed him the pictures today and he saw Dexter Approved...he finished his morning coffee and headed to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy the same one you have Sugar. Then to the butcher shop for the meats. We will let you know how it goes :)
I told him that if a lady who doesn't cook can make such yummy Jerky for Dexter then we can do it to :)
so i came on my pc just to comment back hahahaha!!! :lol: yayyyyy!!! glad u got it! also if u want to make beef jerky for urself bed bath sells that weird squeezin machine too, it should describe it in the booklet it comes with inside the machine~ i saw a youtube clip of it...it looked like a glue caulking device but for jerky!
hahaha i sure dont cook i love that line, i shall quote u on that :daisy:

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG, thank you for this!! I ahve the same dehydrator as you so the pictures help me alot in knowing what the end results will look like.
welcome jan! now get dehydratin! march march march!

That is just the neatest thing since sliced bread!!! lol. I have got to go get one of those dehydrators and make some treats! And I don't even give Lulu treat--she will think she died and went to heaven. :)
i think so too! i was so excited to see it at the store in stock hehe =) she will LOVE it!

This is amazing! How much was the dehydrator? I'm tempted to do this for Bijoux..but I wonder if it would be expensive to do..we are on a student budget
like i replied before. do u have an oven? the chicken itself is cheap. i actually get mine from a wholesale place since my parents own a business so we get a big bucket of them nice and plain. at the supermarket i was looking and perdue sells em for around $4 - $10 , they even have them already sliced up if u dont like workin with knives so close

Great job! He likes them too!
I made some in the oven yesterday and they were a hit. I placed them on a cooky sheet sprayed with Pam and left them in for 6 hrs at 180 degrees. The boys love them too! :)
yay yay pam i know you had to tell me on fb! hehehehe =)

Great job Sugar...you kicked some Jerky butt!!! So glad Dexter likes it.
KICKED IT TO THE GARBAGE! well the toxic ones i did woooooooo!

Awesome thread, love your explanation and pictures, great job!
The end result looks so so yummy! :)
thanks LS! u should try it! saves lotsa money money

So you CAN just make these in the oven then; so long as the temp is set low enough?? I would definitely make some of these for my crew... but I don't have a dehydrator.
in the oven it should be higher as pam said before :)
laura actually gave a link before for the oven one. u can also find it on google and youtube!:coolwink:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I make Draco's chicken jerky in the oven. I don't put any seasoning or oil whatsoever on it and it turns out great. I slice the semi frozen breasts very thin and arrange it on metal cooling racks place a foil drip pan in the bottom of the oven and set the racks on the shelfs. I can make 3 pounds of chicken and 1.5 pounds of beef at the same time. I set the oven at the lowest temp and go to bed...when I get up...fresh non poison chicken jerky. We also eat the beef jerky ourselves...the chicken is a bit bland for us. Good going Pidge, Dexter will love the jerky.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I make Draco's chicken jerky in the oven. I don't put any seasoning or oil whatsoever on it and it turns out great. I slice the semi frozen breasts very thin and arrange it on metal cooling racks place a foil drip pan in the bottom of the oven and set the racks on the shelfs. I can make 3 pounds of chicken and 1.5 pounds of beef at the same time. I set the oven at the lowest temp and go to bed...when I get up...fresh non poison chicken jerky. We also eat the beef jerky ourselves...the chicken is a bit bland for us. Good going Pidge, Dexter will love the jerky.
thankie! draco draco draco! wooooooo! so brave of you to leave the oven on while bein able to sleep...i cant do that LOL! :lol: i wanted the oil on there so i can get the wheat germ on it too :) yay for vits! we are all so clever!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
ahahaha awesome quote Pigeonsheep!!! LOL :lol:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
So my hubby sliced up 2 whole boneless/skinless/chicken breasts....cleaned any excess yuckies off, then patted them dry on paper towels, and then I lightly dipped them in a mixture of Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil (same I cook their chicken in for meals) mixed with about an 1/8 of a teaspoon of garlic powder) then laid them in the dehydrator pre-spayed with pam. They have been in for about 30 mins now.....the dehydrator instructions say to pat them down every 2 hrs to eliminate oil/fat that may accumulate the top....Sugar did you do that when you were taking the pics in 2 hr intervals? In 7-8 hrs we should have successful jerky. Dying to see what Moose,Jasper and Hannah think because they sure have missed the store bought crap. We have also made ourselves nuts finding alternatives that they could all enjoy and didn't cost a fortune:confused:

As a side note: This dehydrator is very quiet (no worse then running a 6" desk fan) and it was simple to put together and start.

Boneless Chicken Breasts cost any where from $1.69-$1.89 per lb in 10lb bags in our butcher shops (cheaper than a grocery store). $17.50-$18.50. *2 whole chicken breasts sliced filled the 4 trays in the dehydrator:p

Bagged Chicken Jerky Crap from China=$9.99-$15.99 for 16-23.5 ozs pre-loaded with preservatives/fat/melamine and other toxic crap that the poor consumers who have not been educated don't even know about (I was one of those till recently...so thankful my dogs did not get sick or die due to my stupidity)

Watching Dexter's approval,the excitement of my dogs watching the process,awaiting for the yummy results, and knowing my dogs will be healthy and happy in the long run PRICELESS!!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts