Chihuahua People Forum banner

dexter finally got a new friend!...

697 views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  TwinTails 
#1 ·
sorry it's not a chi though LOL nor a cute rat like a lot of people here have... ;)

but first here is dexter (used with a fish eye lens) i know he looks weird...maybe it was the angle? LOL! u can really see his balding head though lol

this is what we got at the pet expo!

can anyone guess what he is?

dexter approves of him though (not so much my mom...she HATES him)

how can anyone hate his adorable face!?

give up?
he's an albino leopard gecko ;)
so yes we did go to the pet expo today...looking for stuff for dexter and my bf's cat hercules (it's herc's bday today, 16 yrs now)
instead we ended up buying 2 playballs for hercules and this baby gecko whom we have called Spenny (if anyone watches the canadian show "kenny vs spenny" then they would know why) hehe

the only thing im against is...him eating LIVE bugs! eeeeek! i hate bugs...but his cheeks are so darn cute! now off to the gecko forum to learn how to spoil him like i do to dexter hehehe :coolwink:

See less See more
#4 ·
lol it's weird cuz i wasnt into slimy reptiles before except my red ear slider turtles whom i loved to watch swim around when they were babies :p but when i saw this little guy in the container OMG it was like I HAVE TO HAVE IT! it because i didnt know the gender lol! my bf actually wanted him first but i butted in and took him! hehehe :x my mom hates things that looks like snakes but...maybe just maybe she can get used to him since he wont be walking around out of the cage. he doesn't bite at all either just licks...kinda like a dog LOL :daisy: we got him for a steal though! $30 ! plus the cage and lid,bulb,crickets,sand we got at petsmart for $122. ah! i'm still waiting to be approved in their forum though :( i need help on setting his tank up... :( when there's 3 thermometers in the kit...im lost in translation haha. get one!!!! so cool :coolwink: not as cool as chis though hehehe

#6 ·
Oh he's lovely! I used to have about 30 leopard geckos, along with 8 ball pythons, 3 spotted pythons, 6 bearded dragons, 1 Australian water python, 10 corn snakes, 2 basilisks, 3 anoles, 10 RES turtles, 1 burmese python, 3 milk snakes, 3 tarantulas, 2 scorpions, 1 marble gecko, 1 5 lined skink, aligator lizards, rubber boas, BCIs and more that I can't remember now, lol. Live feedings get better, honestly. You can also give them mealworms now and then (not too often, they are fatty), king worms (as above) and (don't hate me) live pinky mice. They are all fatty, and the pinkies should only be fed if they are breeding. Do you have calcium powder for him? You will need to dust the crickets as well as keep a bottle cap of powder in his tank (they will lap it as needed). They need an arid home, but be sure to keep a humid hide in there (a small container, eg. sour cream, with reptile moss & an opening in the side, kept damp, but not wet). They eat their shed, so don't panic when you see that! Watch the sand, as if it is ingested it can cause impaction (I used reptile carpet for all my herps, you can also use newspaper or plain brown packing paper). They only need a heat source, no UVB bulbs required. They are wonderful pets! They also love company, so you may want to eventually find another to join him (although be sure to quarentine the newbie for 30 days first, to avoid cross contamination). $30 is a great price. We pay about $20 per gecko here (nearly any morph). They like to be held, they are very socialable! Watch how you handle them though, the tails come clean off if grabbed (deffense mechanism). Also a thicker, fatter tail is better than a skinny tail (he currently has a lovely thick tail), the fats stored there help them get through tough times and usually mean a healthy gecko. Enjoy!! He's a beauty! :D

#8 ·
i didnt realize u answered the questions here! LOL. geez i must be slow. i will have to get the calcium powder for him i guess the only question you can answer is the one about the sand. the guy from petsmart said the calcium sand was good for them...but the forum people said it causes blockage. geez! also im a little confused on the moist moss thing o.o yes ive read about the thick tails and wow i cant believe they can hurt their tails :( so sad. i've read that 2 male geckos dont get along with each other as well and become territorial but 1 male and 1 female is fine o.o; im not planning on getting anymore...my mom is furious enough! LOL. oh and now i wont need the bulb i bought -_-; sigh

catalat: that's my fav pic too! my cutie dexter doesnt even know it's alive though since he dont move much in his tank LOL

#13 ·
lol! spenny gecko was moving a lot a few mins ago. im not sure why though since they are nocturnel o_o dexter actually barked at him like mad, i think he finally realized he wasnt the only animal in the room. he kept looking back at me while sticking his tail straight up and doing his alert barks...geez they were quite loud! he has been very very hyper ever since yesterday when he chased a cricket that escaped from spennys tank...hmm

waiushouting: rofl i think spenny is more of a threat to him than food haha.maybe its because theyre both males? silly boy!

#16 ·
Dexter is handsome! hes so cute.

I would SO not be feeding anyone live anything! maybe i could cope with bugs,,but even then i would feel guilty! and DEFINATELY not mice, no no no no just seems so wrong to me :( (i do know its nature, but domesticated ones, do they really need live feeds!? yuk..!)

#17 · (Edited)
First thing, it's very important to understand that reptiles and amphibians are not domesticated. They are captive bred. They are still wild animals in all aspects of their behaviour. The difference is: To be considered domesticated, a population of animals must have their behavior, life cycle, or physiology systemically altered as a result of being under human control for many generations. Animals included in this list that do not fully meet this criterion are designated "captive-bred" or "semi-domesticated". (Wikipedia) [the only herps on that list are corn snakes and ball pythons]

Unfortunately, yes, they do need their natural food. However, for most reptiles that feed on warm-blooded animals, you can buy humanely-euthanized frozen food for them. The animals had a good life, fed well, treated with respect and painlessly put to sleep (they literally drift off to sleep, then their heart stops, no pain).

I used to raise my own feeders and had a CO2 chamber at home - this was the best way to humanely put them to sleep. I didn't feel guilty after a while (at first, it was very hard). But once you realize that you made the choice to keep a carnivore as a pet, you have to feed it what it needs. It's like feeding raw to our dogs or cats. Really no difference. I never feed live mice (anything that has fur also has teeth), rats, etc. People used to ask me why shouldn't they feed a live mouse to their snake...Well, if the mouse kills the snake, then you now have a very expensive pet mouse! It's quite common for live feeders to injure or kill their intended predator. Really, it's about finding the right feeder supplier, one that is humane and treats the feeder animals with respect.

#18 ·
very well put twintails! ;) just like wolves in the wild who go after their prey and rip them to shreds, yum!

unfortunately i cant keep spenny gecko...im sad :( i cant get used the crickets...they drive my dexter MAD lol! i'm sorry for all the questions i asked are all at lost now but i am however giving him to my bf so he can take care of him for us. so i guess it's okay? i have told him everything you told me :) he will have a lovely temp home...mine is too cold im afraid. dexter couldnt sleep a wink...and neither could i, he kept barking/tearing/growling...definitely dont wanna stress my love. although i do like spenny, but dexter came first for me and since i found him a loving home, that's what i think is most important in this factor. please dont hate me for doing this :( i dont think they are creepy at all! ;) yay i can even still see him when i go over to his place from time to time :) he also had a tree frog before so he has more knowlege than me ^_^

#19 ·
I don't thats a bad idea :D I think it's great! Spenny will have a home that loves him, and you can still see him :) Besides, if Dexter is having problems with him, and you are bugged out by bugs, lol, then it's the best thing for him ;)

Reptiles are not for everyone, that is for sure :) They are so different than other pets, it can be difficult to get used to them. Ours were kept in a room of their own, however you could smell them when you opened the front door, the room was always hot and keeping the feeders going and healthy started to cost us a lot (we took our rodents to the vets whenever needed, and that added up!). It's pretty much an investment, lol!

But anyways, Spenny will be fine, don't feel bad! Doing what is in the best interest of any animal is nothing to be ashamed or guilty about :angel2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.