Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dexter, out gorgeous cat, is going downhill FAST - he has never received vet care (thanks alot, mom) and is outdoors alot. It's a wonder he hasn't gotten rabies.

He's been getting abcesses the past few years, and he barely eats now, sleeps 24/7 and squals when you pick him up or touch him. It hurts him just for you to pet him. He's only 11 years old. I think he has diabetes, or some other similar disease.

I kept trying to get mom to switch him from meow mix. The best I got her to do was a mix of fancy feast and Whiskas meaty selections (which is a better quality food than meow mix, to an extent) and I think his diet and lack of vet care is what's causing this.

Mom said if he isn't better by the end of the year, or if he's worse, she'll have him P.T.S - something I don't want to do, because he could be saved with proper vet care :foxes15:

But if she won't get him vet care, having him PTS is the best thing I could get her to do...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cat. 11 years old for a cat is not that old. Our cat is 8 years old and is an indoor only cat. She gets vet care when necessary, which has only been once in eight years! She used to get yearly exams until about 4 years ago. Hubby doesn't think their necessary because she is strictly indoors. In fact, she wont even come downstairs if people are around!

I feed her Canidae dry and B.G. Chicken, canned. I use the Fresh Step crystals for her box, it gets scooped daily and replace every 10-14 days. I don't like that she doesn't get annual exams like the dogs, but she seems to doing fine.

I agree with you, that if you take him to the vet, they may be able to make him well again. I hope he gets better.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'm sorry you're having to watch these things happen to the pets you love and care for. I'm going to have to agree with Ashley here and say your Mom is not fit to have animals. I know you love having pets too, but you need to be the voice of reason and tell your Mom she cannot have any more pets or even handle all the pets that she has. It's heartbreaking to hear you tell us how your pets are not being cared for properly and there's not much you can do being 11 years old. I would talk to your Mom seriously and ask her if she would surrender the pets she cannot afford to care for to shelter or someone willing to take them in. I don't mean to offend you, it just makes me upset hearing how often your Mom neglects to properly care for the animals she has decided to bring in to your family.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear about your cat. 11 years old for a cat is not that old. Our cat is 8 years old and is an indoor only cat. She gets vet care when necessary, which has only been once in eight years! She used to get yearly exams until about 4 years ago. Hubby doesn't think their necessary because she is strictly indoors. In fact, she wont even come downstairs if people are around!

I feed her Canidae dry and B.G. Chicken, canned. I use the Fresh Step crystals for her box, it gets scooped daily and replace every 10-14 days. I don't like that she doesn't get annual exams like the dogs, but she seems to doing fine.

I agree with you, that if you take him to the vet, they may be able to make him well again. I hope he gets better.
I know -- I have a suspicion he is actually more like 14-15, but we were told at the time we got him he was 4 and a half which would make him 12 in May.

It's sad, really, he could have up to another 6-7 years of life in him (if he is 11-12, that is)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry you're having to watch these things happen to the pets you love and care for. I'm going to have to agree with Ashley here and say your Mom is not fit to have animals. I know you love having pets too, but you need to be the voice of reason and tell your Mom she cannot have any more pets or even handle all the pets that she has. It's heartbreaking to hear you tell us how your pets are not being cared for properly and there's not much you can do being 11 years old. I would talk to your Mom seriously and ask her if she would surrender the pets she cannot afford to care for to shelter or someone willing to take them in. I don't mean to offend you, it just makes me upset hearing how often your Mom neglects to properly care for the animals she has decided to bring in to your family.
I couldn't surrender any of my pets - I just couldn't. I had to once with an aggressive-toward-other-dogs pet, and well... she was supposedly adopted as they were taking her back to be put to sleep (that night! About four hours after they had received her they were already about to end her life.) but I couldn't do that again. To know they may be scared, and dead even, is just... more heartbreaking then the pain they're in, as there is something I can do. And have been doing.

Every week I check him over for wounds and any abnormalties. I've been supplementing his diet with fresh meat, and meaty treats (he loves them, and the ingreds are even better than his food for pete's sake) as well as taking care of anything as much as possible.

I get the puss out of any abcesses (as well as put ointment on them to prevent further infection) and if they are bad bandage them. I help him eat if he is having too much trouble. I do everything in my power to help that poor animal. It's the best thing I can do... and I hate to see him like this. I study veterinary stuff (I'm no professional, I mean I AM just a kid, but I still know quite a bit) and have a cat care book I sometimes use. I try my best to be the "vet" figure in his life, as the only animals out of our five who receive veterinary care are the three stooges (AKA the three dogs).

I just try my best - I just couldn't surrender them. Am I doing something wrong? Or making him worse?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Can you possibly call your vet, explain your situation, and maybe they could advise you over the phone? Or at least explain what you are doing and if that is going to help.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
This is such a tragic situation. =( So sorry you have to deal with this Savannah. You know I feel the same as the others regarding your mom; and I feel for you that you have to be in this situation.

Everything that you are doing is exactly what I would be doing in your situation. There's no doubt you care about Dexter, but unfortunately if something is actually afflicting him (illness, disease, injury), it's not something that'll be solved with a couple healthy meals and TLC (though it will definitely help, it's not enough.) It sounds like he needs actual medical attention, treatment, diagnosis. Blood work at the very least; and that's not something that can be evaluated at without going through a veterinarian/laboratory. All this said, I think you already know that, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking for help.

Surrendering a pet is a hard thing to do. I know, because not only have I had to give up many pets in my lifetime, but I also CHOOSE to on a regular basis (with my fosters.) It's REALLY hard finding people that you can trust; and also to give away a pet that you consider family. I would be lying if I said I didn't cry every time after I go back to the car when adopting out a dog; although it hurts to let go of them sometimes, I know I did everything I could to make sure that if they can't be with me (and let's be honest, I would adopt every animal if I could) that I make sure they are somewhere they will be safe, healthy and happy.

While there is no doubt that you're keeping Douglas as safe and happy as you can, if he is already at this point, he'll need more than that to recover. This is a REALLY tough situation and I don't envy you. The best advice I can give you? Use your power of words- you're great at that- write Douglas's story and post it somewhere, Craigslist etc. anywhere that you can Share/Promote it. If you are honest with everyone about your situation, I am certain someone would step in to help him. If you make that initiative, that gives YOU the opportunity to meet with any potential owners, talk with them, and truly screen out the best home for him. I even have adoption contracts I would be happy to send you that you could use. You're a bright person and as much support as we can give you here, I am sure that you could network with the right people near you that can give Douglas the care he needs.

I wish you the best of luck my friend. Xxx Keep us updated.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is such a tragic situation. =( So sorry you have to deal with this Savannah. You know I feel the same as the others regarding your mom; and I feel for you that you have to be in this situation.

Everything that you are doing is exactly what I would be doing in your situation. There's no doubt you care about Dexter, but unfortunately if something is actually afflicting him (illness, disease, injury), it's not something that'll be solved with a couple healthy meals and TLC (though it will definitely help, it's not enough.) It sounds like he needs actual medical attention, treatment, diagnosis. Blood work at the very least; and that's not something that can be evaluated at without going through a veterinarian/laboratory. All this said, I think you already know that, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking for help.

Surrendering a pet is a hard thing to do. I know, because not only have I had to give up many pets in my lifetime, but I also CHOOSE to on a regular basis (with my fosters.) It's REALLY hard finding people that you can trust; and also to give away a pet that you consider family. I would be lying if I said I didn't cry every time after I go back to the car when adopting out a dog; although it hurts to let go of them sometimes, I know I did everything I could to make sure that if they can't be with me (and let's be honest, I would adopt every animal if I could) that I make sure they are somewhere they will be safe, healthy and happy.

While there is no doubt that you're keeping Douglas as safe and happy as you can, if he is already at this point, he'll need more than that to recover. This is a REALLY tough situation and I don't envy you. The best advice I can give you? Use your power of words- you're great at that- write Douglas's story and post it somewhere, Craigslist etc. anywhere that you can Share/Promote it. If you are honest with everyone about your situation, I am certain someone would step in to help him. If you make that initiative, that gives YOU the opportunity to meet with any potential owners, talk with them, and truly screen out the best home for him. I even have adoption contracts I would be happy to send you that you could use. You're a bright person and as much support as we can give you here, I am sure that you could network with the right people near you that can give Douglas the care he needs.

I wish you the best of luck my friend. Xxx Keep us updated.
It's Dexter not Douglas lol!

But that doesn't really matter what really matters is getting him some help. Do you think I could talk to online vets for advice on how to care for him, and maybe see if anyone knows what he could have as well?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
It's Dexter not Douglas lol!

But that doesn't really matter what really matters is getting him some help. Do you think I could talk to online vets for advice on how to care for him, and maybe see if anyone knows what he could have as well?
In all honesty there is not much a vet can do without seeing him. They can't prescribe medications, or know exactly what is going on. I would not try to drain abscesses yourself- you can introduce an infection. I feel for your situation right now- I grew up in a house with a mom who thought pets were disposable. In the end, it was better to surrender them to someone who was willing to provide them medical care. It is heartbreaking as a helpless kid to watch these things happen, I know. But at the age I was at the time, there was nothing I could do, similar to your situation.

Working at a vet clinic, I have learned that describing symptoms is not enough for a concrete diagnoses. There are so many other factors that go in to it. Vets often need to palpate any growths, possible abscesses, etc. to get an idea of what is under the skin. Running blood and urine tests can help narrow down the type of infection. So long story short, an online vet won't be much help to you, unfortunately.

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Savannah, I wish your mama could come on here so I could try to talk to her.
People often have reasons on why they do or don't do certain things, sometimes
those reasons are not actual obstacles, and have simple solutions. At times it
takes an outsider's eye to see these solutions. Communication is the first step.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Savannah, I wish your mama could come on here so I could try to talk to her.
People often have reasons on why they do or don't do certain things, sometimes
those reasons are not actual obstacles, and have simple solutions. At times it
takes an outsider's eye to see these solutions. Communication is the first step.
Unfortunately my mom thinks everyone on CP are "ignorant dog-crazy nuts that have no idea about dog food or any dog for that matter", and I actually asked her to talk to some people here before about nutrtion and she refused, saying they "didn't know what they were talking about".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts