Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at my bf's place when my dad called me leavin a voicemail sayin that dexter puked 2 times. :foxes15: once on my mom's bed and another all over my chair. so obviously this wasn't right after the other...im not sure what caused this though? hes had his regular dinner, cooked chicken. unless when he went out to pee he ate something he shouldn't have put his mouth on....humm... well when i was takin pics of him just a bit ago his left hind leg was shakin while he was on my chair which is all cleaned up now...i've never seen him shake only his leg before...what could this be? usually when he pukes he gets better right away and eats a treat...but tonight he's not even touching his treat...just curled up in his little house fast asleep.:sad5: he wont even drink his catsip milk...just water :confused: anyone ever had the leg trembling happening to their chis?

also when i came home, he came to greet me but he wasnt barking or jumpin all over the place like he usually does :(

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Poor Dexter! I don't know Pidge. Sounds like he might have ate something that's making him feel sick. I'm not sure about the leg shaking either, but I would keep a close eye on him. Sorry I'm of no help, but I hope he gets back to his old self real quick.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The leg thing has happened with mine before. When Benny was lying down his back legs would always shake and I used to wonder why.

Best thing to do when they're sick like that is starve for 24 hours then after that mild food like chicken and rice. Obviously when you starve him still leave his water down. As long as he's drinking I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

However if he's still not himself after a day and refusing treats or whatever he usually would like then I'd take him to the vet. So do the staving thing pige then see how he goes.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What exactly is his diet.

Is it JUST cooked chicken and treats? If so, then I would say you are looking at a nutritional deficiency. I know he doesn't like kibble. And it's fine if you want to do home cooked. But if so..... PLEASE do your homework and follow a recipe. JUST plain old cooked chicken is NOT balanced and could do him harm in the long run. It could cause all kinds of metabolic issues that would explain tremors and vomiting.

So what exactly are you feeding him these days?????

·
Registered
323 Posts
Shaking comes with sugar dorps and so does throwing up. I would add some sugar to his diet. but I also woudl like to know his diet...sorry he is not feeling well

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Are you including calcium (other than the catsip milk, that is not an adequate source) in his diet? Tremors and lethargy are a symptom of hypocalcemia. Meaning he doesn't have enough calcium in his body. Dogs are lactose intolerant so giving him milk isn't going to help. The calcium/phosphorus ratio is EXTREMELY important in dogs and that's why if you are feeding a homemade diet it is CRITICAL to make sure that you have these ratios correct.

If Dexter were mine, I'd have him at the vet for a complete exam including bloodwork and fess up to the diet you have been feeding him so the vet can educate you on proper canine nutritional needs.

Hypocalcemia Symptoms In Dogs | eHow.com

Pidge, I'm not trying to be mean and I hope you don't take it that way. But you know I've been concerned about Dexter's diet for a LONG time. I think it may have just caught up with him. :( Feeding boiled chicken and a few vegetables just isn't going to cut it. He's missing out on vital nutrients, including calcium when fed that way.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Pidge, I think Dex gets runny poo's and vomiting a lot because of his diet. I would either go with a balanced home cooked diet (do lots of research. he needs vitamins and minerals with this type diet.), RAW, dehydrated RAW, or canned food. I know that your parents give him a lot of things that are iffy for a canine. It really isn't healthy, and can cause your baby some serious health issues now, and or down the line. I'm not coming down on you, just trying to help. :) Hope Dex is feeling better very soon. Maybe a Vet visit is in order, and some blood tests.

PS~ I would leave off all the treats as well. If he is getting a balanced diet, he really doesn’t need all the extra. I know it’s tough when they look at you with those ever so sad eyes, but it’s for his best interest. If he is hungry, he will eat what you provide.

Keep us posted, please. :daisy:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Shaking comes with sugar dorps and so does throwing up. I would add some sugar to his diet. but I also woudl like to know his diet...sorry he is not feeling well
Agreed. Jasper, Hannah and my last chi Munchkin had this when their sugar levels have been off. Often times chicken and rice and cutting back on the treats helps. Also watch his water intake >>>that he doesn't get too much.
Once his levels come back up the shaking and vomiting should stop.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone for the replies.

brody! im sorry but i never rely the vet for education on what i should be feeding him ever since they reply on "science diet hills" food...oh yuck! in the pamphlet they give u with the "free puppy or kitten sample" it includes saying that corn is good for them....no way!

i know plenty of people who feed their pets homemade meal and have healthy pets as well...i really think its just something he picks up from the floor sometimes outside as he loves to sniff on dead worms and bird poop...blegh!

T, i've tried raw before and he wouldnt take a lick out of it and looked oh so weak from starving himself for 2 nights and 1 morning. ive also tried dehydrated raw and he hated it as well. canned smelled so good to my nose but he didn't even eat it with the chicken mixed with it.

for all who asked, he only eats 1 meal a day as ive tried getting him to eat more throughout the day, he just wasn't hungry. his treats that i give him....i think a lot of u think i give it to him consistently in which i dont, i've acually slimmed down a ton after i threwout almost $300 worth of expired treats that was sittin in his treat box lol. now i only give him a piece when he comes back from peeing/pooping outside.

catsip is 1% lowfat lactose free milk. i dont give it to him for enjoyment more of a digestion thing plus it has taurine

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I hope he's feeling better soon!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I hope he's back to normal soon. Years ago I had a standard poodle who was a picky butt eater, so I started mixing the moist n meaty in with his food, then I started home cooking, and I thought I was doing great as I was following a 'balanced' recipe I found online, but he ended up losing a lot of his coat due to a Zinc Deficiency. So I had to switch him back to kibble and was 'tough' love, he didn't eat for about 3 days, then he started eating with gusto and was a good eater for the rest of his life. He just knew that if he didn't eat I would get him something yummy like chicken/beef/moist n meaty to make him eat.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I started to make my Midgie home made food because of all her allergies, but quickly found out that I couldn't include vital vitamins & minerals that they need especially as puppies. I too, took the advice of my vet & put Midgie on Prescription Lamb & rice (Just found out that RICE is one of the things she's allergic to), & decided to do all the research myself in finding the appropriate food for Midgie. I know many people swear by raw, but I really don't think raw is for us unless it's a last resort. For now The Honest Kitchen Preference has done wonders for Midgie & I'm thinking about adding Fromm Surf & Turf Kibble to her diet as well.
I just feel that it's too difficult to make our chi's homemade food with the right amount of nutrients unless we are professional cooks. Just like you need variety & essential vitamins & minerals in your diet, so do our babies.
I'm not trying to scare you, but if you don't do your research & balance out his diet, he may suffer irreversible malnutrition or other unforseen health problems that you don't want. This forum is a great starting point to research by others experiences in similar situations. I hope he's o.k. & I wish you the best.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hope dex is feeling better. The first thing I do if I feel my girls are under the weather, even if it's just a look, (mothers intuition) lol is a dose of karo syrup, about a teaspoon. Is there supplements u can buy since he gets cooked chicken. I do know cooked chicken doesn't have the nutrients dogs need to complete their diet. Did he not like ziwipeak, or have you ever tried it? I went through helll trying to find something ivy wouldn't turn her nose up at. If it is possibly a low sugar issue, which the throwing up could be a sign, I would really try stretching his meals into 2 a day. Just don't give him as much. And if he isn't eating much anyway might be a sign that he isn't all that thrilled with what he is eating. Just trying to come up with some ideas for our little Dex. Don't like him having tummy troubles :( oh....as for the vet recommending that nasty science products, I really think they get a kickback or something from the manufactures. Our vet would recommend it as well, but I bet if you ask what they feed their dogs it wouldn't be that. When I showed my vet the ziwipeak she was very highly impressed with it and said it was a really excellent food.

Lori

1 - 20 of 36 Posts