okay how about i put this napkin on top of it...maybe it'll disappear

trying to get cheese out!

mmm cheese...~ god whats this stuff all around it, its getting in my way

begone u evil bird

please can i have anything better?

looking for more cheese...

grrrrr i give up

i one sad dexter

my bf just gave me an idea, cook the hen just for a tiny bit so there can be some smell into it, then leave the inside raw...hmmm worth a try..here we go :foxes15:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Careful with the boney parts, if you cook them at all they could splinter and choke him.

Pidge, you really need to wait him out. And NOT offer anything BUT the chicken. As hard as it is, this is what he needs. One day he wont eat anything, and then what will you do? You'll have tried everything and have nothing left. :(

It's our job as mommies and daddies to make sure our kids eat right. Whether they want to or not. Would you let your human child eat just icecream if that's what they wanted? No. You'd wait them out, eventually they WILL get hungry enough to eat what is being served.

Try offering just breat meat, NO CHEESE. Or whack a wing with a mallet to break the bones to make it easier to eat. The skin can often be off putting to newraw dogs as well, so perhaps offer a thigh after removing the skin?

YOU CAN DO THIS! We are all here for you, you just need to be more stubborn than him!!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i know about not cooking the bones. i meant the meat itself. i chopped it all up tossed it on the frying fan for 30 secs and got it out and he still didnt eat it...i mean i wouldve it smelled delicious! :( sigh...will try again tomorrow

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes, try agaiin with the SAME food tomorrow. I can see though, that it probably will not work.. as he seems to have rice/cooked chicken?/peas sitting on his eating mat as well?

I don't know how to make it more clear that if you give in and give him ANY other food, this will not work. :(

Goodluck.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My Frankie will not touch raw. He walks up to it and runs! Raw meaty bones, wings, steak, chicken nothing if is raw.....

Ben will eat some things raw. He loves chicken wings but I take all the skin off first. He likes it at room temp. not straight out of fridge. He loves raw meaty beef bones as well, he will chew the meat off and then naw on the bone for hours. If I chop up raw meat such as chicken, steak, chops, etc. he will not eat the plain meat. Has to be on a bone.

My dogs eat like night and day.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, try agaiin with the SAME food tomorrow. I can see though, that it probably will not work.. as he seems to have rice/cooked chicken?/peas sitting on his eating mat as well?

I don't know how to make it more clear that if you give in and give him ANY other food, this will not work. :(

Goodluck.
he wont even touch that so it doesnt even matter if its sitting there and its not peas its stringbeans ;) my parents are clueless i keep telling them to leave only the raw but they wont frakin listen it's frustrating the hell out of e how dumb my dad can be

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So just take the food everytime you see it down ;)

I agree you've got to wait him out and be more stubborn. Its for his own good. My guys so CRAZY when they get to eat. They love it. They'd probably fight to the death for it if they thought that would get them more food :rolleyes:

Maybe you need to bring another dog over whenever its time to eat. :p
Getting Schroeder was the best thing I ever did for Phoebe's appetite. No more pickiness. She used to play with her food and such. Now she just EATS like a beast.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Maybe he's a vegetarian? ;)

Just kidding. But I know of the woes of trying to switch. If chicken doesn't work, try a wee bit of beef next time you're cooking a steak. Mine go gaga over hamburger meat, but to be fair they prefer it cooked. I don't have them on a raw diet b/c of Boo's ongoing digestive issues and various other reasons that have no place in this thread. However, I found the transition, from when I did try, easier with the beef than with the chicken. Maybe I'm thinking too much like a human, but raw chicken has a very distinctive and sharp/tangy taste that sort of stops me in my tracks a bit. Where I find myself munching down on steak tartar quite often.

Dexter seems to act like a human in other ways, maybe he'd acclimate better to the moo-moos than the cluck-clucks.

And yeah, I still lived to my credo to try (at least once) everything I give my dogs. Raw chicken being one of the nastiest things I've ever tasted...right next to the metronidazole.

·
Registered
923 Posts
oooOOoo, those darn parents!

Is there any way you can impress upon them just how serious you are about lil Dexters diet? You do buy the food for him, right? Can you :"put your foot down" so to speak? ;)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Pidge~ Don't give up! Dexter will come around. Lila was put off by it at first too. Once the other three started circling her like sharks she started chowing down real quick, and LOVED it sooo much! I would just continue to offer it to him. Try hand feeding it to him. Make sure he's good and hungry before you try it though. He could skip a meal then offer him some raw for dinner. Good luck sweetie! :) Mwah! Dexter!! :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Well.... I don't blame you Dexter, I wouldn't like it either lol!! Have you tried raw from some of the raw companys that have pre packaged patties etc. My girls didn't like it either though, so I gave up.

Lori

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Frankie will not touch raw. He walks up to it and runs! Raw meaty bones, wings, steak, chicken nothing if is raw.....

Ben will eat some things raw. He loves chicken wings but I take all the skin off first. He likes it at room temp. not straight out of fridge. He loves raw meaty beef bones as well, he will chew the meat off and then naw on the bone for hours. If I chop up raw meat such as chicken, steak, chops, etc. he will not eat the plain meat. Has to be on a bone.

My dogs eat like night and day.
LOL you got a unique pair! your half lucky for raw! LOL. but i just love your pups! :]
So just take the food everytime you see it down ;)

I agree you've got to wait him out and be more stubborn. Its for his own good. My guys so CRAZY when they get to eat. They love it. They'd probably fight to the death for it if they thought that would get them more food :rolleyes:

Maybe you need to bring another dog over whenever its time to eat. :p
Getting Schroeder was the best thing I ever did for Phoebe's appetite. No more pickiness. She used to play with her food and such. Now she just EATS like a beast.
lol bringing another dog is out of the question. even if it's just for a playdate...we have plenty of relatives that has dogs even small ones...but they dont get along with my dad...(not the dogs btw) LOL
Thats one big chicken! =p. Aww thats sad he didn't like it.
LOL! its a hen! and it was small...kinda scary...a headless hen..omg LOL. i felt bad when i ripping apart the ribs
Maybe he's a vegetarian? ;)

Just kidding. But I know of the woes of trying to switch. If chicken doesn't work, try a wee bit of beef next time you're cooking a steak. Mine go gaga over hamburger meat, but to be fair they prefer it cooked. I don't have them on a raw diet b/c of Boo's ongoing digestive issues and various other reasons that have no place in this thread. However, I found the transition, from when I did try, easier with the beef than with the chicken. Maybe I'm thinking too much like a human, but raw chicken has a very distinctive and sharp/tangy taste that sort of stops me in my tracks a bit. Where I find myself munching down on steak tartar quite often.

Dexter seems to act like a human in other ways, maybe he'd acclimate better to the moo-moos than the cluck-clucks.

And yeah, I still lived to my credo to try (at least once) everything I give my dogs. Raw chicken being one of the nastiest things I've ever tasted...right next to the metronidazole.
oh man LOL! i already know he loves beef better but people here would throw me into a pit of fire if i gave raw steak before the 2 week trial of chicken...LOL!!! i cannot! but wow u tried raw?? that is so rbave of you...very dangerous! we dont have stomachs like dogs...LOL
haha dexter you cheeky monkey! good luck with it pidge!
LOL thanks fifi and cheeky and gang! haha...gonna need lots of it
im with Dexter on this one. it doesnt look nice lol x
haha i know! i rather have cooked as well...im not even really into sushi either blergh
I know this is frustrating for you. Loved the pictures and the captions I roared when I read them!
hahahs roared! LOL thanks for the loving the pics i was frustarted during the whole taking every shot of him...hoping he would atleast nibble on it
oooOOoo, those darn parents!

Is there any way you can impress upon them just how serious you are about lil Dexters diet? You do buy the food for him, right? Can you :"put your foot down" so to speak? ;)
my parents are as stubborn as chis are...LOL...jeez :foxes15: i'll try my best though
Pidge~ Don't give up! Dexter will come around. Lila was put off by it at first too. Once the other three started circling her like sharks she started chowing down real quick, and LOVED it sooo much! I would just continue to offer it to him. Try hand feeding it to him. Make sure he's good and hungry before you try it though. He could skip a meal then offer him some raw for dinner. Good luck sweetie! :) Mwah! Dexter!! :)
LOL circling liek sharks hahahaha. oh lisa your a hooty :D your so lucky! i tried hand feeding it...and it didnt work as well lol
Well.... I don't blame you Dexter, I wouldn't like it either lol!! Have you tried raw from some of the raw companys that have pre packaged patties etc. My girls didn't like it either though, so I gave up.

Lori
LOL...oh man. i hope i dont give up on this...because i really dont want big piles of poop anymore...plsss!!! :( and yes we've tried raw from natures variety and he didnt touch it...at all :foxes15:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Oh Dexter your such a picky fella, I swear he gets cuter everyday.

I do have to agree with Muzby though. Giving him different things is only going to make him worse in the long run. You need to pick to one food and stick with it. Maybe try smaller amounts with him, I read an artical in a dog magazine about a fussy doberman who wouldn't eat and in the end they gave him little bits on several saucers around the room and he ate it. x

·
Registered
497 Posts
LOL, dexter dexter dexter! What a character.

I agree with what everyone is saying, don't cave in pidge! you can do! :)

Dexter will get hunger sooner or later. What i would think about though, is your parents feeding dexter food while you are away. That would put a halt on your trying to outwait him.

Good luck with talking to your parents.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts