Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?

Hi all, Dezi is now 13 weeks old. I have been feeding her Royal Canin (mini) for about 12 weeks. During this time, but not all the time, Dezi's stomach would growl all day. Yet she loves it and cleans her bowl at each meal. I told my vet about this and he recommended Eukanuba (small breed). He even gave me a sample 1lb bag to try it. So I started mixing the Royal Canin with the Eukanuba. Dezi continued to clean her bowl. And as time went by I gradually eliminiated Royal Canin and was feeding her nothing but Eukanuba. Her stomach still continued to growl, not all the time, but at times. It's been a week since she's on Eukanuba and during the last 2 days, she won't eat a single bit! Yesterday, I managed to hand feed her a few but she won't eat any and won't even touch her water! I'm not sure what is wrong with her but she's still active and loves to run and play. But she doesn't want to eat. My sister bought some soft food that comes in a one-serving container. Dezi devoured that but her stool was mushy. Now, the only thing Dezi would eat are her treats and the soft food and I don't want to keep feeding her that. Can anyone give some helpful suggestions? I just bought an 8lb Eukanuba and I don't know what to do with it now. Maybe I can mix it with something else but I'm not sure if I should go back to Royal Canin. Being that Dezi is 13weeks old, would it be a good idea to keep feeding her dog food for minis or should I move up on something else?

Need some help...thanks.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Its been said many times, dogs will go thru fussy periods....her poo being mushy was probably from the change in diet quick. (can food) I dont understand why the vet thinks switching food was the answer. Maybe she just needs more to eat period. How often were u feeding her? I have Bindi on Royal Canin mini.....mini or bigger makes no matter. I think the smaller the better- less chance of choking....that is why they are designed for small dogs. Back to Basics has a higher fat content that might fill her up. Mixing dry into moist might do it to. You really have to play around. It took me forever to come up with a combo that works for Kemo.

Good luck maybe someone else may know more. :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hi there! :wave:

It is true that a dog will not starve itself - therefore if you keep feeding Dezi the hard food, he will eventually eat it. However, I know that is hard to do especially at his age!

If you want to continue feeding him hard food, my advice would be to put it in his bowl along with some beef or chicken broth. I bet you he will eat that! And then each day, just use a little less broth until he is just eating hard food.

Maybe someone else would have a better idea. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
My girls have always eaten small bite Eukanuba and still do, but when they were small i used to put a little boiled water in it and mix it in then let it cool down a bit,try that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Yes, I am starting to see how finicky she is. Its true, she won't let herself starve because eventually, she'll get so hungry that she'll end up eating some. But I do want her to enjoy food and not just eat it out of necessity. I feed Dezi 3x a day but since last Saturday, she's only been eating once a day. And she'd eat when I put her on my lap and hand feed her the kibbles bit by bit. Then she'll begin to eat a few out of my hand and eventually eat out of her bowl. As for the soft food, I gave her a small helping of that stuff my sister got. But maybe I should have mixed the hard food with that instead. As for beef/chicken broth, aren't those things high in sodium content. Wouldn't that be bad for her? I've been on low sodium diet for a while and the only broth I can use are the vegetable broth I get at Whole Foods Market, only 150mg of sodium. But of course, my diet has nothing to do with hers.

I will try mixing some soft food with the Eukanuba. BTW, while I was typing this, Dezi started eating again. This is the first time she ate today. My mom was hand feeding her and she eventually ate. :)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
alc252dm said:
As for beef/chicken broth, aren't those things high in sodium content.
I just mixed it with boiled water, it makes its own gravy

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I would advise you to pick a brand of food that you think is best, either Royal Canin or Eukanuba, and stick with it.
Cut back on her treats and if you are giving her greenies or any other chew bones stop giving them to her until she starts eating again.
The more you switch around and start adding different things the pickier she will get.
If you want to mix some wet food in or some kind of broth (you can buy low sodium broth, but I don't know how much lower it really is) that's fine, but don't keep switching what you put in it. Be consistant.

They all do go through picky periods and switching foods can only make them get pickier in most cases.

Make sure no one else in the household is giving her table scraps or junk food!

If she is sick she will notice a change in her behavior, like not playing as much or runny poops etc.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would keep her on the Royal Canine if she liked it. Also if there aren't other dogs to eat it just leave it out all the time and let her eat when she wants to. Mixing it with a bit of broth is a good idea if you want to stick to her only eating at certain times, you can even boil some beef or chicken and make a sodium free broth that way. Marcus wouldn't eat well at all till we tried the Science Diet and while it's not the best nutritionally he loves it and will eat it. He lso gets a half a tin of canned puppy food in the mornings to get him started eating

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good suggestions!!! Dezi loves the Royal Canin right off the bat. And she only got pickey when the vet advised me to switch her to Eukanuba just because I told him that she was having diarrhea at the time of the visit but that was right before her first deworming. Come to think of it, that could have been why she was having that at the time, plus her stomach kept growling too.

So I think what is best is to switch her back to Royal Canin, she will eat that stuff w/o question.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I used to buy a product called "Vita-Gravy" at Pets Mart. You mix it in their dry food and they love it! It is for dogs and it comes in different flavors. It is great for picky eaters! :D

sandra

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
My thought is to mix the 2 dry foods.... 1 she likes to eat and the other you need to use up that the vet said to switch her to... Gadget loves the science diet but I had a heck of a time getting him to eat the big chuncks (which are not that big at all) I had to put them throught he food proccesor and but hot water over it.. but by the time he was eating that for a couple of weeks he started to eat it dry... then I started adding in some of the whole food and now he eats it dry right out of the bag.... I fill his dish and leave it down for him all the time because he likes to eat all through the day....

good luck :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lumpy yellow stuff in her stool!!!

Just saw something in Dezi's stool that is worrying me. This morning before leaving for work, her stool was the usual, solid dark brown. I just fed her the usual dry Eukanuba but I added some vegetable broth in it. Dezi cleaned up her bowl for the first time in 3 days! Fifteen minutes later, she leaves two spots on the newspaper. One has the usual solid dark brown stool but mixed with yellowish lumpy liquid. The other spot is nothing but the yellowish lumpy liquid. Her stomach has been growling all morning. What could this be??? Please help. :(

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Usually when their stomachs growl it is a sign of "Low blood sugar". You might want to have the Vet check her. Any changes in her diet can cause a change in her stool. It may clear up on its own--if not have her Vet look at her.

sandra

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She's going in this weekend for more shots so I'll have the vet check. The last time I talked to him about this, he was suggesting that they do a stool check/analysis, forgot the technical term for it. But, I passed because I knew that she hasn't been dewormed and the results will be obvious.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If she has never been wormed then that is most likely the problem. If she has tape worms she would naturally be hungry all the time. Her stomach will also be slightly bloated and extended. Taking her to the Vet is the best thing. :)

sandra

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update...

Dezi ate again (3 hrs later), very good sign. She hasn't done #2 yet so I'll see how her next one is. She seems to be feeling better. :) She's been dewormed at 7 weeks old, and again at 10 weeks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
alc252dm - :wave: hi and good luck with searching for a diet for your baby :wink:
I am probably the odd one in here, but I still will say something :D
My Pupa also was not very good with her dry food, no appetite, every feeding was like a battle, I was worried, she was stressed out!
Lucky people whos dogs just like the dry food :D
SO I made a BIG research, got approved by the vet and switched her to natural (home-cooked food). The vet said to me: "If you have to time to cook, enjoy it and can balance the diet and keep a track of it,- the go on" :wink: just something to consider...but a lot of people do not agree with that :?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I went thru what you are going thru with Poppy..she went for 3 days without eating and then I ended up giving her anything and everything, just because I was so worried she wasnt eating (she was 12 weeks at the time) Just be consistent and remember they will not starve! Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nina is close to 20 weeks, and has gone through a not-eating phase, but we blame the meaning-well table food feeders for her rejected the Iams.

I have started to mix a little low-sodium chicken broth in with the Iams, but she is still a snob and will not eat it until she is starving.

I have thought about putting her on a Raw foods diet, but i am not sure how time consuming it is.

Has anyone else put their chi on the Raw foods diet?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts